Big Brown Music Machine

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

nhokawa
New Recruit
New Recruit

Big Brown Music Machine

Post by nhokawa » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:59 pm

California State University Long Beach (Band) - The Big Brown Music Machine LP - saw an LP on eBay today- apparently from someone in Scotland. Did LBSU go to Edinburgh? The album is signed by band members- and Danny Wagner. What was his connection with Larry Curtis’s LBSU band? I miss his Conqueror band!

I miss the activity- occupied with work and caring for an elderly parent. How time flies; enjoy life, and Happy Holidays everyone!

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Big Brown Music Machine

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:57 am

Yes, in fact the Big Brown Music Machine made it to Edinburgh twice! First time in 1980 under Larry Curtis and again several years later, combined with members of another college band, after Danny Wagner became the director of the marching band. The marching band was disbanded in 1992 after they cancelled the football program.

https://youtu.be/TvlkFarCit4 - Video of their 1980 Edinburgh perfornamce.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 am

I just looked up that album for sale on eBay and it is the 1979 issue of the BBMM album series. I recognize several of names of members who signed it on the back and they from the 1980 Edinburgh trip. It could be that Danny Wagner was with them as he was scheduled to take over as marching band director later that fall.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

nhokawa
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by nhokawa » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:45 pm

Thanks for the history! I miss the days gone by discussion and reminiscing... I didn’t know Danny Wagner directed the BBMM.