Very sad news - Eleina Hess has passed

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Very sad news - Eleina Hess has passed

Post by dr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:30 pm

It is with great sadness that I pass along this information. Elaine was one of the legends in Southern California drill teams for many years. Anyone who ever saw her teams performed remember them vividly, whether they in parades with their swords or in field shows riding horses or any of the other million innovative props that they wielded with authority and grace. She was also one of the top judges for drill team and auxiliary for the SCSBOA. I was so honored to have worked on judging panels with her through the years. I will not be alone in mourning her passing.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :cry2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elaine E. (Strube) Hess, of 9 Granger Drive, Pinehurst, NC, 28374-8853, formerly of Yorba Linda, CA, died Tuesday morning, December 16, 2008 at her home.

Beloved wife, mother, sister, aunt and friend of many will be greatly missed. Elaine was born 19 November 1935 in Topeka, IL the daughter of Glenn and Lela (Osing) Strube. She married Walter Hess at St John's Lutheran Church in Topeka on 10 August 1958. This summer the entire Hess family enjoyed a cruise to celebrate Elaine and Walt's 50th wedding anniversary.

Walter survives along with one son, Bradley (Julie) Hess of Deerfield Beach, FL and one daughter, Jodi (Jim) Welch of Jacksonville, FL; one grandson, A.J. Hess of Deerfield Beach, FL; two sisters, Mary Lee (Duane) Florschuetz of Georgetown, TX and Norma (Ray) Rue of Granville, IL; two brothers, Bob (Pat) Strube of Morton, IL and Dan Strube of Bartonville, IL; and many nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by her parents and grandparents.

Elaine attended Easton High School and received BS and MS degrees, from Western Illinois University in Physical Education. She taught in Havana, and then the family moved to Anaheim, CA in 1962, where she taught physical education and coached drill teams at Loara, Cypress and Katella High Schools for 14 consecutive years in competition.

She also was part owner in United Spirit Association, a company that trained drill and dance teams. Professionally, Elaine was the district department chairman for the Anaheim Union High School District. She was a Mentor Teacher who wrote curriculum for the State of California Department of Education. Elaine was also the President of the National Drill Team Association for 5 years.

In her youth she was known for being an outstanding softball pitcher in Central Illinois and ran track events with a CYO group in Chicago. In 1952 she competed in the Olympic trials in track. After retiring from teaching they moved to Pinehurst, NC where she was an accomplished golfer. There she was President of the Women's golf Association for a short time in Pinehurst and leaves many good friends and neighbors behind.

Arrangements are through Boles Funeral Home. Memorial Services will be held at her Church; Our Savior Lutheran Church, 1517 Luther Way, Southern Pines NC @ 3:00PM Saturday, December 20th, (Next to the Barn Restaurant).

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to First Coast Hospice and Palliative Care at 5 Aviemore Drive Pinehurst, NC 28374.
Semper Musicus
800M miles/hour! It's the law!

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Very sad news - Eleina Hess has passed

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Mrs. Hess was a formidable woman. She scared the beejeebers out of me during Drill Team tryouts between 9th and 10th grade because she literally barked orders. It wasn't until that next November that we learned we shared the same birthday and she made certain to send me a Birthday Card (and I her) every year after that until I graduated. She was a perfectionist but had a HUGE heart and very soft center. I mourn the passing of a truly classy lady ... she will be missed.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Very sad news - Eleina Hess has passed

Post by MusicCoach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Never got to met her. But I know she will be well miss and respected in the drill team community.
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*