SCSBOA Recaps Missing in Action...

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

SCSBOA Recaps Missing in Action...

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:43 am

It seems that SCSBOA doesn't have anyone updating their website and posting the recaps from parade or field show competitions so far this year. So I am asking that anyone who has copies of the recaps please take a good clear photo of them with your cell phone and email them me here at admin@worldofpageantry.com so I can post the results to our scores page. If your phone allows you to choose the file size of the photos, pick the larger size files please. The smaller one can come out too pixelated to read easily. So far I have somebody sending me parade recaps, but I am not sure they will be at every parade, so more help would be nice. I have some directors that will be sending me field competition recaps as their bands start to compete in the coming weeks, but they won't be at every show, so more help is needed for those too! Thank you to all those that help!!!!!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

MusicAfan

Re: SCSBOA Recaps Missing in Action...

Post by MusicAfan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:07 pm

I'll be at a few field shows this season so I can send you scores when I get them.

- Valencia (Placentia), Kennedy, Loara, Mayfair, Los Altos, South Hills, West Covina, John W. North, Savanna + whatever ends up happening at champs this year.
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:19 am

Maybe they aren't posting recaps from the ratings only shows? The clinics last weekend wouldn't have anything and they have posted recaps from the one show that has had scores so far.

That said, I will be at a variety of shows this year (valencia, quartz hill, simi valley, moorpark) so will try to remember to you recap pics if I can remember.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:38 am

magicsax22 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:19 am
Maybe they aren't posting recaps from the ratings only shows? The clinics last weekend wouldn't have anything and they have posted recaps from the one show that has had scores so far.

That said, I will be at a variety of shows this year (valencia, quartz hill, simi valley, moorpark) so will try to remember to you recap pics if I can remember.
I just heard back from several of the directors that hosted shows last weekend and they told me that their shows were rating only. Too bad that nobody let the public know that these shows were going to be ratings only! Nowhere on SCSBOA's website or any of the hosting band's websites or Facebook pages did anyone bother to mention that fact. No other circuit did that with their shows last weekend, so how was I to know? :?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm

https://www.scsboa.org/wp-content/uploa ... l-2021.pdf

After a little searching I found this. On page 4 it lists the breakdown for the season:
  • 9/25 - 10/16 = clinic or rating
  • 10/23 - 11/13 = rating or competition
  • 11/20 = championships or regional showcase

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:54 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:50 pm
https://www.scsboa.org/wp-content/uploa ... l-2021.pdf

After a little searching I found this. On page 4 it lists the breakdown for the season:
  • 9/25 - 10/16 = clinic or rating
  • 10/23 - 11/13 = rating or competition
  • 11/20 = championships or regional showcase
I am glad you found that info. Only it doesn't explain why the first show of the season hosted by West Torrance had full recaps with scores. SCSBOA finally updated the recaps page with notations that the shows last weekend were clinic only or ratings only. But they still haven't bothered to update page names and links, they still list the recaps page as "2019 Recaps" and there is still no page available for parade recaps even there have been two competitions so far that gave out scores. Luckily somebody sent me those recaps. All the other circuits are getting better at making information and results available on their websites. Even NCBA is doing a much better job this year! Yet the largest circuit in California doesn't seem to care if their fans are kept up to date.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:07 am

Something I wasn't able to find on the SCSBOA website: how the new scoring system works. It LOOKS like 200 points/1 judge each for Effect, Visual, and Music, and 100 points/1 judge each for percussion and auxiliary. But I haven't figured out the breakdown as to how they get the total score from that.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:17 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:07 am
Something I wasn't able to find on the SCSBOA website: how the new scoring system works. It LOOKS like 200 points/1 judge each for Effect, Visual, and Music, and 100 points/1 judge each for percussion and auxiliary. But I haven't figured out the breakdown as to how they get the total score from that.
The new system has the sheets being the same as in the past for the judges, but since the panels are smaller to try and help groups save a bit of money this year (and possibly anticipate things like needing fewer bodies in a press box etc), a weighting system was introduced. It's 40% Music, 35% GE, and 25% Visual Performance to calculate the band score.

If you look at the right side of the recap, the formula is noted in the "total score" box. It is a bit small and sideways to read, but it is there.

This is also why there are some really "wonky" looking numbers right now compared to previous years with things like .13 and such.

mflute88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mflute88 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Parade recaps for Tusin and Placentia are now on the SCSBOA website...