World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:17 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
...so I lopped it off with the chainsaw.

Forum Threads, much like milk, uncooked meat, leftover Chinese food, and a Republican Presidency, eventually sour and go rotten. And, much like no one wants to smell that lo mein that's been in the back of your fridge since the night after your high school prom, no one wants to be forced to re-read six pages of posts from 2003 just so they understand your latest one.

The WOP Thread Expiration Date is Hereby Set at TWO YEARS

If, after two years of dormancy, a topic is so amazingly interesting that you have to comment on it: start a new thread.

Much like Teddy Roosevelt, Bob Hope, and Steve Guttenberg's career, deceased threads deserve to lie in peace. Necromantic posts will be deleted and the disturbed threads locked.

Thank you.

(Bonus points for you if you recognize the quote that started this post.)


Last edited by Hostrauser on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 am
Posts: 437
Location: So Cal; Home of the Quake & the Wave
At least leave the funny entertaining ones up...... :roll:

_________________
Member: MENC, NAMM, NARAS, ASCAP, & AFM Local 47


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:45 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 3431
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Hostrauser wrote:
...so I lopped it off with the chainsaw.

Forum Threads, much like milk, uncooked meat, leftover Chinese food, and a Republican Presidency, eventually sour and go rotten. And, much like no one wants to smell that lo mein that's been in the back of your fridge since the night after your high school prom, no one wants to be forced to re-read six pages of posts from 2003 just so they understand your latest one.

The WOP Thread Experation Date is Hereby Set at TWO YEARS

If, after two years of dormancy, a topic is so amazingly interesting that you have to comment on it: start a new thread.

Much like Teddy Roosevelt, Bob Hope, and Steve Guttenberg's career, deceased threads deserve to lie in peace. Necromantic posts will be deleted and the distrubed threads locked.

Thank you.

(Bonus points for you if you recognize the quote that started this post.)


Wait... does this mean that all threads from more than 2 years ago are being deleted? Or does it mean that they will stay but be deleted if they are brought back?

If it's the second one, i actually think it should be more like 6 months or 1 year... but regardless i agree with you 100%.

_________________
Soldiering On!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:32 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:
Or does it mean that they will stay but be deleted if they are brought back?

This one.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:36 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 3431
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Hostrauser wrote:
FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:
Or does it mean that they will stay but be deleted if they are brought back?

This one.


Oh ok.. yeah I 100% agree with you. Perhaps even 1 year is too long?

_________________
Soldiering On!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:37 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
The expiration date can be changed at a later date if need be. For starters I think two years is plenty fair.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Bandmaster edict
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 am 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:21 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Cordelia, Solano County, CA
Bandmaster wrote:
So my word to the moderators is.... Allow old converstions to be brought up again, after all we get alot of new members every year and they weren't here to go through it last time. :wink:

:angl:

_________________
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson


Last edited by midavid on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Out from the cave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 3431
Location: Alpha Quadrant
Yeah, you bring up good points and I enjoy reading what you post but can you just make a new thread from now on?

_________________
Soldiering On!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Bandmaster edict
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:09 pm 
Offline
Rookie
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:21 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Cordelia, Solano County, CA
Bandmaster wrote:
So my word to the moderators is.... Allow old converstions to be brought up again, after all we get alot of new members every year and they weren't here to go through it last time. :wink:

:angl:

_________________
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson


Last edited by midavid on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Out from the cave
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:22 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 3431
Location: Alpha Quadrant
MIDPRONIUM wrote:
FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:
Yeah, you bring up good points and I enjoy reading what you post but can you just make a new thread from now on?


Yes. I can definitely do that.


Ok sounds good. Thank you. :D

_________________
Soldiering On!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:18 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
The best part about being a moderator is I don't have to waste any more of my life on pointless semantical arguments. :cool:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:08 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:13 pm
Posts: 896
Location: California
Hostrauser wrote:
...so I lopped it off with the chainsaw.
.
.
.
(Bonus points for you if you recognize the quote that started this post.)

Isn't it from Army of Darkness?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: It got into my thread and went bad...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:44 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
bassoonuba wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
...so I lopped it off with the chainsaw.
.
.
.
(Bonus points for you if you recognize the quote that started this post.)

Isn't it from Army of Darkness?

A winner is you!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:17 pm 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:16 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Trabuco Canyon / Foothill Ranch
I propose that we set up a new section of the website called the "WoP Vault" which would be a set of classic threads that should be preserved for the rest of time. They would of course be locked so as to keep the mint value of the thread.

_________________
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:27 pm 
Offline
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 3431
Location: Alpha Quadrant
DJ-PsiLon wrote:
I propose that we set up a new section of the website called the "WoP Vault" which would be a set of classic threads that should be preserved for the rest of time. They would of course be locked so as to keep the mint value of the thread.


Haha that is GREAT idea!!! And we could have nominations!!!!

_________________
Soldiering On!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics