Concert Competition

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Concert Competition

Post by PGOK » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:05 pm

Those of you doing Concert Band Competion in Northern California, what music are you playing?

Livermore HS-
Polly Oliver-Thomas Root
Chester-William Schuman

Maybe one more piece if I can find something short, that works.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Concert Comp

Post by JCYS » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:38 pm

LP/O Symphonic Band:

Greenbushes by Grainger
Rikudim by Jan van der Roost

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 pm

aww. we're not doing any concert competitions this fall, but last year @ folsom and fairfield, we did Armenian Dances pt 1 and Intermezzo.
CSU, Fresno
2007 - Present

Clovis High School
2003 - 2007

gatekeeper6838
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gatekeeper6838 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:13 pm

A concert band competition? Not to many of those around I'd assume. I know they exist because our top group went to California to compete in one (unfortunately it was before I made the group so I never got to go). I wish I could have been in the group when they went. How many of them are there (I believe the one we went to was called something "Heritage Festival")?
Highland High School Band Veteran (Gilbert, AZ)
(2001 - 2005)

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:34 pm

Franklin's really trying to pull something off right now, but everyone's just not practicing, not cooperating, and too many people are talking during rehearsal, so it's really hard to get stuff done.

But we have one piece we're planning on doing. Not sure what the other one is.

"Chorale and Shaker Dance" by Zdechlik
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:34 pm

gatekeeper6838 wrote:A concert band competition? Not to many of those around I'd assume. I know they exist because our top group went to California to compete in one (unfortunately it was before I made the group so I never got to go). I wish I could have been in the group when they went. How many of them are there (I believe the one we went to was called something "Heritage Festival")?
Yeah, heritage festivals are different. We're going to one this year. I think what they're talking about is NCBA competitions. Us here in SoCal don't really competitions...we "just' get ratings (even then, concert season's still a blast with a good group)
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

gatekeeper6838
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gatekeeper6838 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:43 pm

Jakob der ludner wrote:Yeah, heritage festivals are different. We're going to one this year. I think what they're talking about is NCBA competitions. Us here in SoCal don't really competitions...we "just' get ratings (even then, concert season's still a blast with a good group)
I know we have quite a few plaques from California on our wall. One of them says somthing about a heritage festival and one of them is some other one with a ranking on it (1st Gold I think it says.) for our Wind Ensemble. I don't know which one that is, next time I stop by my old band room I'll have to check it out.

Oh, and I'd have to agree with you... the season is still a blast with a good group whether you compete or not! 8-)
Highland High School Band Veteran (Gilbert, AZ)
(2001 - 2005)

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:00 pm

gatekeeper6838 wrote:A concert band competition? Not to many of those around I'd assume. I know they exist because our top group went to California to compete in one (unfortunately it was before I made the group so I never got to go). I wish I could have been in the group when they went. How many of them are there (I believe the one we went to was called something "Heritage Festival")?
At several of the NCBA fall marching competitions there are also concert band and jazz competitions-Foothill, Folsom, Lodi, CCBR, Lincoln, Fairfield, etc.

The Heritage Festivals are nation wide and put on by a company that produces festivals for traveling purposes.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Update: Franklin will be doing two pieces for concert competition at Fairfield TOC.

"Chorale and Shaker Dance" by John P. Zdechlik
"Images" by Robert Sheldon
Last edited by ZJH on Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

CWTBoneSectionLeader
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CWTBoneSectionLeader » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:42 pm

We haven't even made our Concert band and wind Esemble yet but i think i saw HammerSmith sitting out in our Library.
With Rich on one shoulder and Captain Adrenaline on the other, It will be a show to remember!

phiboy13E3
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by phiboy13E3 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:00 pm

hammersmith is aweosme, the first time i heard it i was in 8th grade when the logan wind ensemble played it. back then i thought it was really boring cause i was asleep after a couple of bars with the tuba stuff going on, but then i heard it again from usc wind ensemble when i was a freshman. and i didnt fall asleep so i got the hear the rest of it. man is it aweosme.
definitions are for the definers, not the defined... who are you?

jimmyface inc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jimmyface inc » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:07 pm

we're doing...

overture for winds
novena
kentucky 1800
Garden Grove High School
Drum Major '06-'07
IMC President '06-'07

'03 The Wind and the Lion
'04 Pirates of the Caribbean
'05 Heroes and Legends
'06 Tower of Power

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Concert Competitions

Post by JLGORMAN » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:36 pm

There are some great Concert Band Competitions both in Texas and thoughout the easterm part of the Country.

Here in Texas the Bucanner Music Festival in Corpus Christi, and the festival in San Antonio are well regarded Concert Competitions. Both have a Best in Class award along with the Ratings.

Nationwide the Apple Blossom Festival in Winchester, VA hosts the outstanding Virginia Governors Cup at the Conservatory of Music in Winchester. This is a top notch competiton with outstanding Concert Bands from throughout the eastern and southern parts of the nation.

Another great Concert Competition is at the Vanderbilt Music Festival in Nashville, TN. Again top notch HS Concert Bands compete with awards for Best in Class and total winner.

Here in TX, many of our top Concert Bands, Duncanville, Langham Creek, Berkner. CY Falls etc, compete in at least one concert competition yearly besides UIL.

For those who have never entered concert competition, this is really a challenging and rewarding change from doing strictly marching events.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq