Unbelievable Euphonium solos

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Unbelievable Euphonium solos

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:14 pm

So recently I've been listening to my American Variations CD (E. Corporon and the CCCM)...

1. Dr. Brian Bowman is God. :bow: (Well, okay, no he isn't, but it's a close enough substitute if you're a euphonium player.)

2. Listening to a euphonium take on the solo in Herbert Clarke's Carnival of Venice is enough to make me wet my pants. Almost.

3. Edwin Franko Goldman's Scherzo is an outstanding piece. And the euphonium is prefectly suited to that gorgeous melody in the slower, lyrical section.

4. Every low brass player should own this CD.
http://www.klavier-records.com/kwp1.htm

As you were. ;)

arul

Post by arul » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:31 pm

If you like the American Variations CD, you'll probably also love the "Golden Age of Brass, Volume 3 with Michael Colburn. Michael was the Euphonium Soloist with the President's own Marine Band, and is now the assistant conductor.

If you can find some old recordings of Simone Mantia and Art Lehman, they're
definitely worth a listen.

If you like Carnival of Venice, try to find a recording of Michael Lind playing it on the Tuba.

Gene Pokorny solo Tuba recordings are also required listening for any low brass player.

Arul

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:15 am

Philip Wilby's piece "Concerto for Euphonium" is amazing. Had a chance to hear it at the 1999 WASBE Conference in San Luis Obispo. Euphonium soloist was Robert Childs from the Boosey & Hawkes corporation, accompanied by the California State University Intercollegiate Wind Orchestra.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:30 pm

Someone sent me an email asking for MP3s... uh, please send it again because I lost your email address. :oops:

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Euph soloists

Post by JCYS » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:39 am

First heard Bowman on LP when he was in the US Navy Band.

Heard him live in 76 when he was solo euph in the US Armed Forces Bicentennial Band. He did Sherzo by Goldman and The Volunteer by Walter Rogers..which I later did on my senior recital on Euph at CSU Long Beach.

Then heard him again when he was in the US Air Force Band.

The Child's brothers are amazing too. I kinda like the english euph players tone better.

Probably the most amazing technical euph player was Art Lehman who was soloist in the US Marine Band for like 20+ years (thru the 50's and 60's).
Have a couple LP's of his that are beyond belief. One cool thing on it is his "warmup peice", the "Bear went over the Mountain" written in 5 octaves!

He also does all the usual trumpet/euph killers (ie The Volunteer, Carnival of Venice, Devil's Tongue, etc, etc.)

>JCYS

arul

Post by arul » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:00 pm

I think Art Lehman's "The Art of Euphonium Playing" is still available
through the TubaEuphonium Press (http://www.tubaeuphoniumpress.com).

The 2nd volume comes with an LP.

I haven't ordered it as I don't have access to a turntable anymore. You can hear Art's work on some of the Marine Band CD's available through your local library.

Lehman had a HUGE sound.

Arul

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed May 14, 2003 1:06 am

euphman wrote:
2. Listening to a euphonium take on the solo in Herbert Clarke's Carnival of Venice is enough to make me wet my pants. Almost.
Jave you heard Wynton Morsalis play it?
On the euphonium?

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed May 14, 2003 8:44 am

Phantom, I finally got the ambition to go out and buy the CD myself. I am currently waiting for it to come in. It cost me 16 bucks, and I am ordering through Borders, the book store. I can not wait for it to come in. Thank you for the recomendation, being that I am a Euphonium player, I can not wait for it to come in.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu May 15, 2003 5:30 pm

Personal wrote:Phantom, I finally got the ambition to go out and buy the CD myself. I am currently waiting for it to come in. It cost me 16 bucks, and I am ordering through Borders, the book store. I can not wait for it to come in. Thank you for the recomendation, being that I am a Euphonium player, I can not wait for it to come in.
You won't regret it. The CD also has some great band pieces on it, like Ticheli's "Amazing Grace" and Bennett's "Suite of Old American Dances."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat May 17, 2003 2:24 pm

No, I can't say I've heard it.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue May 27, 2003 9:05 am

Well Phantom, my American Variations CD came in, and...IT IS FRIGGIN' AWSOME!! I love it. That version of Brian Bowman playing Carnival of Venice is simply amazing. Well, there are other great pieces on there, such as American Salute, and Ticheli's Amazing Grace, but Venice, is...well...umm...just plain amazing. There is no other way to describe it.[/quote]
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue May 27, 2003 10:28 pm

E.F. Goldman's "Scherzo" is probably my favorite on the whole CD. Great technical work, and he makes that lush, beautiful trio melody just soar.