What is the Most Boring song you have had to play?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

JediMasterBando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JediMasterBando » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:41 pm

I never get bored....I just get distracted :P
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them. " -Richard Strauss

'05-'08 MSU Spirit of the West Marching Band!
'08 Drum Major

Kappa Kappa Psi- Beta

The Sun Never Sets!
Mt. Carmel '01-'05

xWMSxGrLx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xWMSxGrLx » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:23 pm

most boring for me is I think would be Chorale Suite #2. I hateeee playing Baritone for that.
Baritone/Euphonium
2006 - "Rise Of Samurai" - Bass drum - caption :]
2006- "Oh, What a World" - WG
2007- JV WG- "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

TheRiceCooker

Post by TheRiceCooker » Thu May 19, 2005 4:08 am

Canon in D for Orchestra back in 7th grade. I loved the song, now it just gets annoying.

And Pomp and Circumstance, for last years graduation. It's just that we're playing a retarded arrangement.

PertyInPank13
New Recruit
New Recruit

gar.

Post by PertyInPank13 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:21 am

I'd hafta say...

pomp and circumstance
chant and jubilo
kentucky 1800
you tend to foget them if you dont like them.
::Toot to the flute, piccolo, YOU KNOW!::

::Hey Baby, What's your favorite yardline?::

::Anyone you're on!::

Tubajupiter
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tubajupiter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Pomp and circumstance is an AMAZING piece....

If it's the full arrangement(very fun low brass parts). the trio has been murdered over the years, leading to a general dislike.

Personal (key word: personal) dislikes(overall songs):
-Elsas procession to the cathedral
-Orb and Sceptre

Brilliant music, boring tuba:
Caucasian sketches mvt.1
Elsas procession (i don't like the whole song, but I can't deny it construction)
El Salon Mexico

Number one, without a doubt:

BOLERO, amazing piece...terribly unimaginative tuba parts.

gatekeeper6838
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gatekeeper6838 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:00 pm

Why does everyone hate Chant and Jubilo?

I played that song my freshman year in HS (2001 - 2002) and it was one of my favorites. I still remember how it goes to this day (though I haven't heard it in years). It sounded kinda like a medievil fanfare. But maybe it's just 'cause I'm a trumpet player; Even then I was only on 2nd part and I liked it.
Highland High School Band Veteran (Gilbert, AZ)
(2001 - 2005)

thatonehornguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thatonehornguy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 pm

Nimrod from Enigma Variations by Elgar was sooo boring to play. I love to listen to the song, but when you're playing 4th horn at like 50 bpm, it's gets boring
-Trevor
What's the definition of perfect pitch?

The ability to throw a flute into a toilet without hitting the rim

CH2 CCH3 CH CH2
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CH2 CCH3 CH CH2 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:10 pm

"Time Cries, Hoping Otherwise" by Dana Wilson

He could just have written TACET for the tubas and given our part (all of 8 notes for 450 bars) to another instrument.

devilishtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

nimrod's boringness

Post by devilishtrumpet » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:46 pm

aww i liked nimrod! but maybe it was because it was a field arrangement played by RB when i heard it :lol:

thedarkwally

Post by thedarkwally » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:08 am

gatekeeper6838 wrote:Why does everyone hate Chant and Jubilo?

I played that song my freshman year in HS (2001 - 2002) and it was one of my favorites. I still remember how it goes to this day (though I haven't heard it in years). It sounded kinda like a medievil fanfare. But maybe it's just 'cause I'm a trumpet player; Even then I was only on 2nd part and I liked it.
I know the feeling; I absolutely loved this piece.

Anyway, for me, I'd say Pomp and Circumstance... it's just too slow and goes on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...(like this post)...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...and on....and on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on... and on... and on...

Ya, I imagine you get the idea by now.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:35 pm

Night time, Prayer, and dream Pantomime by Engleberg Humperdink

i kid you freaking not. never play it! you'll lose your soul!

azn_zeratul
Rookie
Rookie

Post by azn_zeratul » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:47 pm

one of those graduation ceremony musics highschool band has to paly really is boring.. repeat it like 10-20 times -_-

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:23 pm

When I was in the Army Band, we had to play for many funerals. Funerals are actually very interesting. Generally, they are short and the music can be fun... unless it is a Navy Funeral. Navy funerals always have a list of tunes which are played in a certain order and there is little to say in the matter. The one tune that can keep going and going is "Eternal Father, Strong to Save." This is, in fact, the Navy Hymn. (The Marine's Hymn is not, by definition, a "hymn." It is an official song. I have a Master's degree in Church Music! "Anchors Aweigh" is the official song of the Navy. "The Army Song" is the official song of the Army. "Semper Paratus" is the official song of the Coast Guard and "The United States Air Force" [Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder] is the official song of the Air Force.) Just before the Chaplain begins the final prayer, the band begins to play the hymn. Some military preachers are really long winded. I think the most stanzas we ever played of "Eternal Father" was close to 50. And the C.O. tried to conduct it slowly, so as not to set any longevity records. If we played at normal tempo, it probably would have been 100 to 120 stanzas... NO KIDDING!

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:04 pm

I played a song in elementary school called fishy scale blues. I remember that song because it was sooooooooooooooooooooo boring, haha. :lol:
You just can't encourage stupidity

Boninetax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Boninetax » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 pm

I had a couple, for example Canto and Jamaican Farewell, both peices that I played in middle school, but then I started to read the other posts...

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE

Do you loop it during graduation? Last year there were 700 graduates and it felt like it went on forever. We played it while they walked in. I'm really glad I don't have to play it during my graduation. (There's 1000 of us)!
Huzzah!!!