How does ur Band Council get along???

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

How does ur Band Council get along???

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:43 pm

well for the most part at my school we all get along although we have all have different views on how the band should be run... but in the end we get the job done i guess. at least this years is way better than last years. i guess ( i was not on it las year) that it was more about what ur tittle was and the power u had over the band. but i was wondering how is all ur guys Councils working out for u all?

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:49 pm

Our council's kinda being flakey, as some members didn't even show up to the meetings (some were never informed, some disappeared, some were at football practice, etc.), but we still get things done. We're getting a lot of things started, since we're still a relatively new band and all, so yeah, we're gettin' there.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

deina-kun
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by deina-kun » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:40 pm

We don't have a band council at our, but the student leadership is assigned the same way and can be considered one:

01 - drum major
02 - assistant drum majors
03 - brass/woodwind/battery/pit captains
04 - section leaders
05 - assistant section leaders

So the drum major would be the president, assistants vice pres, etc.

Most of the student leaders are in good terms (most being friends), so in general we get along pretty well, but if someone's friendship is better with one person compared to another and there are differences in opinion, they "better friend" is usually sided with, so there is also lots of bias with it. We also have a problem with the drum major and an assistant drum major going out, so if the assistant is doing something he's not supposed to do or not keeping on task, we can't ask the drum major to sort him out and have to go to the director who's usually busy or nowhere in sight.

We're also a new band and we're doing some changes with how the leadership helps the band run more efficiently, but it might take a couple of times to get things right. It seems like we're slowly getting divided as the season goes on and competitions are coming up.. :/

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Yeah, that whole "DM going out with the assistant" thing just completely complicates things. That's why I kinda "vowed" that I wouldn't have any relationships in band as long as I was holding any leadership position (DM and historian). But yeah, I hope things get better for you guys.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:00 pm

well i was also wondering how many meetings u have a week or month????

oxymoron314
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oxymoron314 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:35 pm

i'd say our "council" i ono...we call ourselves "student staff." lol. neways...we get along pretty good. We have a drum major, asst. dm, equipment manager, librarians, and of course the captains. We meet about every rehearsal before and after, except for zero periods. It may seem like alot, but it allows us to really understand how the band is doing as a whole. :D
A) Hey, what's that over there?
B) I don't know, but it looks like a organized group of people walking in step and creating intricate forms.
A) AHH! Those are band people!
B) Run! They might form a parade block and march toward us.
A) .:GASP!:.

thedarkwally

Post by thedarkwally » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:38 am

Ya, our Band Board is quite tighly knit this year; out of the 20-25 of us, the majority of us kinda clique tougether, and the others are friends of at least one or two of the other leaders, so in the end it all works out with us being a big group of friends.

Anyway, as for effecitiveness, we all manage to have at least one or two people we can go to for immediate problems, and are able to work tougether very effecively. While we do have our differences in though, at least we're able to settle them very quickly, or at least humanely.

ilovetheclarinet

Post by ilovetheclarinet » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:49 pm

hey u said our council was pretty good, but i think otherwise. after all there always is alot of complaining going on there but nothing ever seems to get resolved and no one listens to me!!!!!!!!!!! if you are who i think you are then you will know where i am coming from, girl from the outskirts of lm. :soap:

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:26 am

ilovetheclarinet wrote:hey u said our council was pretty good, but i think otherwise. after all there always is alot of complaining going on there but nothing ever seems to get resolved and no one listens to me!!!!!!!!!!! if you are who i think you are then you will know where i am coming from, girl from the outskirts of lm. :soap:
Okay, I would suggest you be a bit more careful with the word selection you use, in particular the last sentence you said there. Lets not start making personal or small group references because those will generally lead and breed into a large conflict that doesn't really solve anything.

Perhaps if you were to expand on what you have said though in a strictly non-derogatory way someone on the board can make suggestions or give advice.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

thatonehornguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thatonehornguy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:56 pm

well, we dont call it council, just the leaders. my main problem is that im a section leader, and the officer(s) in my section like to mess around during practice, and they wont listen to me, so yea, thats how its going for me
-Trevor
What's the definition of perfect pitch?

The ability to throw a flute into a toilet without hitting the rim

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:39 pm

We have a band staff, and so far, it's been really tight knit because we're pretty much one clique, with the exception of one person in particular, but I choke on expounding more on that here. The main thing with our band staff is reconciling band and orchestra. Our president's doing a really good job this year with trying to be as involved with orchestra as he is in band (personal feelings, he's still not getting the response he wants I think), but then again, it's really hard when you're dealing with two different groups of people that probably don't know each other, and one group gets significantly more favor than the other (in terms of activity and recognition around school), especially when you're dealing with their leaders.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

cant blive its not butter

Post by cant blive its not butter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm

Our Band Council rocks!

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:16 pm

very well actually. we laugh and joke all the time. last years was a bit well, meh. :roll:
Nothing is impossible with God!

pitguymatt89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitguymatt89 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:57 pm

well. we kinda dont sometimes.

we argue alot
Clovis West pit Leader 04-05 05-06 06-07
CW Jazz Band A 04-06 Vibes
03 A Night On Bald Mountain
04 Coffee Shoppe(WD)
04 Mystikal Impressions
05 FiberOptiks (WD)
05 Çanakkale
06 Classical Redirection (WD)
06 Aquila

mizxmaria

Post by mizxmaria » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:03 pm

our council gets along great. aside some of the flakey section leaders, the real council (drum major, asst. drum major, president, vp, secretary, publicicty etc) is always on top of things. we know our responsibilities and get them done. usually our director makes the decisions but he asks if we have any suggestions and what not. we meet once a month at least and everything goes perfectly well.
K-HIGH 4 LIFE