Difficult Concert Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Thu May 19, 2005 3:51 pm

vivaldi's concerto in e minor, or the sonata by camille saint-saens for bassoon.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

silvertenor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by silvertenor » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:30 pm

swuster wrote:vivaldi's concerto in e minor, or the sonata by camille saint-saens for bassoon.
Vivaldi's e minor is some good stuff.
06-07 Band Prez
05-06 Assistant DM
05-07 Sax Section Leader
05-07 Principal Bassoon
MCHS Band
"The sun never sets"

silvertenor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by silvertenor » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Those Ron Nelson "holiday" music is quite challenging.
The Glazunov sax concerto, and the Creston sax sonata's pretty hard.
Also, the Gordon Jacob concerto for bassoon is hard.
06-07 Band Prez
05-06 Assistant DM
05-07 Sax Section Leader
05-07 Principal Bassoon
MCHS Band
"The sun never sets"

thewindragon
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thewindragon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:15 pm

silvertenor wrote: Also, the Gordon Jacob concerto for bassoon is hard.
Speaking of Gordon Jacob, his Concerto for Trombone is pretty hard as well.
and the David Concertino.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

There is no ignorance that is not weakness.

JDunstan

Difficult Band Music -- Sonitus Revelationis

Post by JDunstan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:12 am

Does anyone know of a recording of William Hill's Sonitus Revalationis? I performed it as part of the 1975 Arizona All State Band, and have that vinyl recording (which I've since transferred to CD), but alas, there are lots of pops and hisses (and frankly the chops of the brass section, myself included, were pretty blown by that time in a truly grueling program). Would love to find a pristine recording of this piece.

Thanks!

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 am

well.... some pieces are harder some insterments but i know at least for me ((being a clarinet)) that one of the harest pieces i have played would have to be what we did in wind esmble. the piece was Holst's "First Suite in E flat" what was one of the most hard moments in the piece was that run ((as my section called it the run from H-E- double hockey sticks)) in the Chaconne. man that was sooooooo hard going from the lowest note to the one of the highest.... :shock: oh me goodness when i got the piece i said ummm i think u gave me the frist part...but no it was the 3rd. i liked the song after i learned every thing we went to regionals with it too. we got and execelent there...yeah all i remeber was my band teacher yelling ''TEMPO!!!!" but yeah that was with our secod piece. but thats a different story for a different time.lol.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:39 pm

I remember playing "English Folk Song Suite" by Ralph Vaughn Williams, and the trio in the first movement to be pretty fast, but very fun.

"Bacchanale (Samson et Dalila, opus 40" and "The Universal Judgment," I remember practicing my freshman year. My director cut both of 'em 'cause we never practiced, and I really regret that now. Those are excellent pieces.

But I remember one time we were just sight-reading for fun, and he passed out a piece called "Les Fetes." Wow, that stuff is insane. I remember it being so hard, I could barely keep up, let alone get almost any notes.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:07 pm

[quote="ZJH"]I remember playing "English Folk Song Suite" by Ralph Vaughn Williams, and the trio in the first movement to be pretty fast, but very fun.

yup i remember folk song suite all 3 movemtns were good but my favorite eing the 1st that trombone part in the trio in 1st movement was awsome also the 3rd movement the fast trombone part and the ending wow it was awsome

HartBassDrummer

Post by HartBassDrummer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:49 pm

We at Hart Played Red Line Tango by John Mackey. Last April at the 2005 National Band and Orchestra Festival at Carnegie Hall. It Was flippin Awsome
~~ Kevin ~~

-- Willam S. Hart High --

2002 SCSBOA 3A champions
2003 SCSBOA 3A champions
2004 SCSBOA 4A champions

csmoot

Post by csmoot » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:53 pm

I really enjoyed playing Elsa's Procession To The Cathedral, Shostakovitch's Festive Overture, and Nelson's Savannah River Holiday in Mt. Carmel's Wind Ensemble I. We also played Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra, but ended up only playing the 2nd movement. They were lots of fun.
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils
- - - - - - - - - - - -
[2003-2004] Freshman Class Rep
[2004- present] Bass Clarinet Section Leader
[2004- present] Principal Bass Clarinetist

the sun NEVER sets.

PertyInPank13
New Recruit
New Recruit

omg.

Post by PertyInPank13 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:22 am

OMGAH!!!! that is the funnest woodwind piece ever...i dunno about the bari part...but i loved toccata and fugue...we learned it in two days and played a concert for top talented band and it was awesome.
::Toot to the flute, piccolo, YOU KNOW!::

::Hey Baby, What's your favorite yardline?::

::Anyone you're on!::

laadeedaa

Post by laadeedaa » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Jakob der ludner wrote:Anybody here ever play or heard of Statement by Brent Heisinger? Weird piece that one. Half the piece is weird instructions to do stuff for effect (I mean, there's more than one place where it just asks you to play a random rhythm, and a few places where the indicated notes were in "relative places in the measure"), and we have to SING *groan* Our director just presented it to us this year, since festival is still a while away, and we have something else to look over besides our festival pieces. Also, I was wondering where a recording of this piece might be obtained? I would very much like to hear it put together.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:48 am

Jeez Louise! My junior and senior high school days were full of difficult pieces:
Third Suite - Robert Jaeger
Statement - Brent Heisinger
Apotheosis Of This Earth - Karl Husa
Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
Trittico - Vaclav Nehlybel
1812 Overture [w/ cannons!]
Marche Slav
Incantation and Dance - John Barnes Chance

if you guys were wondering what high schools I went to:
Castle Park Junior High - Director Delbert Bangle [late 70's]
Castle Park High School - Director Michael Luzak [late 70's]
and I have the albums to prove it.
You have to imagine the stares I got when I went to college [USC] and said: "yeah I played this in high school" when the wind ensemble sight read "Apotheosis". Sadly, both directors retired and the bands' abilities have diminished---a recent trip to my high school I was aghast at the out of tune-ness of the horns. It was a bit disconcerting, since intonation was a big deal in my formative years. :twisted:

luv2drum06

Post by luv2drum06 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:47 am

Spring-Heeled Jack wrote:Here's a real band buster: Symphony #4 by David Maslanka. It's a fantastic piece, but it's one movement and over 26 minutes of non-stop music.
University of Illinois and University of Arizona played this one. U of I played really cleanly, but U of A just had more feeling behind it. Great peice
More great (challenging) Maslanka:
Testament
Golden Light
Ladaemus Te
and something to look forward to (Just comissioned last year): Give us this day

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:29 am

JazzGeek wrote:Castle Park High School - Director Michael Luzak [late 70's]
and I have the albums to prove it.
You have to imagine the stares I got when I went to college [USC] and said: "yeah I played this in high school" when the wind ensemble sight read "Apotheosis". Sadly, both directors retired and the bands' abilities have diminished
Only recently. Mt. Miguel remained a power into the 90s under Roy Anthony.