Have any of your high schools played Incantation and dance?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

AnglOfMercy

Post by AnglOfMercy » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:32 pm

My high school played both Incantation and Dance and Variations on a Korean Folk Song. I played EE flat contra bass clarinet(yes it does exist) but I had to transpose it in less than a day from BB flat contra bass clarinet. That was for Wind Ensemble where we played Incatation and Dance and that rocked! I played the Korean Folk Song for Wind Symphony on B flat and trust me, on first, it isn't that easy. Gotta quick fingers. I think probably the most challenging song you can play is Aegean Festival Overture. Too many time changes and offset rythms that follow through. All those music pieces aren't that hard if you practice it.
Marching Band is the top priority on my list....
Then comes Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony and then sports.

Have fun while you can, especially on band trips around the state.

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:01 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Heh! I sure did. Variations of a Korean Folksong, the two Holst suites, and Vaughan Williams' Folk Song Suite. You could probably list more, like Lincolnshire Posy. Everyone plays those. Multiple times, in my case. :roll:
If by Holst, you mean the planets, then we sight-read Mars once in class, and we have it and Jupiter in our folders. However, I don't recognize any of the other standards as things we've played...
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:13 pm

bgirl781 wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:the two Holst suites
If by Holst, you mean the planets
No, by Holst I mean First Suite in Eb for Military Band, and Second Suite in F for Military Band.

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
bgirl781 wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:the two Holst suites
If by Holst, you mean the planets
No, by Holst I mean First Suite in Eb for Military Band, and Second Suite in F for Military Band.
Then we haven't played any! I don't even think I've heard of any of them... :oops:
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:50 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Heh! I sure did. Variations of a Korean Folksong, the two Holst suites, and Vaughan Williams' Folk Song Suite. You could probably list more, like Lincolnshire Posy. Everyone plays those. Multiple times, in my case. :roll:
You said it!
Rock the temple blocks!
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:24 pm

El Dorado's concert band(symphonic band?) played Variations on a Koren Folk Song for festival last year. It's a pretty interesting piece...lol.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

wonderbread2006

yeah

Post by wonderbread2006 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:34 pm

my high school played incantation and dance and variation on a korean folk song for field show in 2003. it was pretty good.
clarinet section leader:2004-2005
NVDL:2004-2005
NVDL Bass Captain:2005-2006
CLASS OF 2006 ROX!!!!!!

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:10 pm

i havent played any of those two pieces................................

Lela
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Lela » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:37 pm

We played Incantation and Dance my freshman year. Good learning experience... learned that our percussionists don't have any rythym ><

We have Folk Song in our folder too, but we havn't preformed it. I get seventeen come sunday (the 1st move) stuck in my head all the same! My friend Corey and I will sing it together between classes hehe

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Sat May 14, 2005 12:15 am

i believe i played it last year in a middle school honor band
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Sat May 14, 2005 8:07 am

Whoa, everyone's played Variations. We played it last year, which is the same year our rival John Burroughs did it for their field show, which caused a joke to go around that we're copycats (interestingly, both our wind ensembles are doing Vesuvius. Those copying knaves!)
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Paradoxical Wit
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Paradoxical Wit » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:42 pm

U Guys are gonna be like wow but my middle school band played and performed incantation and dance. HAHA it was a hard but fun piece
We Are Not Just Coming, We Are Coming Out Of The Dark!

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:50 pm

I.A.D. is not allowed to be played without a competent percussion section. Especially the person on the "whip".

Which I was honored to play at PCC when I was up there back in 89?? Anyway, I was one of 2 euphonium players--the other one being very good. And we were short on percussionists. So I got to play the "whip" part. I was loud. Of course.

Lela
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Lela » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:21 pm

RyanTurner wrote:I.A.D. is not allowed to be played without a competent percussion section. Especially the person on the "whip".
Haha no doubt! The year we played IAD our whip percussionist had no rhythym. I have no idea how he even got to be a percussionist. It was terrible. The WHOLE band could clap the rythym and the person who actually had the part couldn't do it for more than 4 measures in a row to save his life. Luckily by preformance time (and like a bajillion hours of practicing at home and in class) he was able to do it.

nobodyspecial
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by nobodyspecial » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:48 pm

our symphonic band or Wind II (our lower 2 groups) played both of those songs- I didn't play them except helping them out, so I don't really remember much...
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in word, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

cabbage