filling big shoes

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

UHS_Tuba
New Recruit
New Recruit

filling big shoes

Post by UHS_Tuba » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:40 pm

im the new tuba section leader for upland and if anyone met our old section leader he was one of the best members ever in the band so my problem is... how do i fill the big shoes he left me 2 fill. what makes this even harder for me is he still comes to watch us pratice i dont want him to be disappointed but im not as good as him what can i do :?:
thank you come again

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:21 pm

I can't give you any specific advice, but just do what you feel is right. People lead in different ways, and his way might not necessarily be the way you SHOULD lead, although he may have used it effectively. Just play around with your own style of leadership.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:27 pm

it doesnt matter if you have a big shoe to fill.. what you lead the way you do.. what if it's better.. if it's worse.. then people would understand.. but try your best.. and help them individually if they need it.. there's a leader in everyone.. youjust need to find it.. dont neglect them.. if thye're doing something wrong dont yell at them or nag.. be PATIENCE.. that's the key to leading.. u can't be soft or hard on them.. it's patience that make them like you..
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Mallet_Mike
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Mallet_Mike » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:28 am

We have a staff member that is extremely difficult to plase, and after championships last year, he hugged our drum major and told her that he was the best drum major he has ever seen, and that includes Drum Corps as well. Now I'm drum major and I'm finding myself uneasy at the shoes I now have to fill.

The thing is, when we try to compare ourselves to other people and past leaders, we will ALWAYS fall short, unless they were horrible, of course. And, personally, I find those that try the hardest to fill the shoes of their predecesors to be much worse off than those who try to do the job.

You can't do the job the way the past section leader did it because he is a different person. That way worked for HIM and HE knew how to do it. If you try to mimic HIM, you WILL fall short because the way he naturally did things is different from the way that you naturally will do things.

Find what works for you and not focus only on what worked for him. You'll find that you'll have the potential to be just as good as he was, but maybe in a different way. And i can only hope I didn't repeat anything other posters said because I didn't read them yet...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:40 pm

Basically, there is only one thing you can do regardless of whose shoes you need to fill.

Do your best!

If you do your best then you've done exactly what you've needed to do. Don't let one person from a different year dictate who you have to be or what you have to do. Also, don't forget that each year the group is a little different, with some oldtimers leaving and some newcomers joining. Don't be surprised if the chemistry of the group slightly changes from the year before, and that will ultimently have an effect on pretty much everything.

Good luck out there!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:08 am

i would say to ask him for help. but don't immitate him. it could damage things in the future.

mizxmaria

Post by mizxmaria » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:11 pm

Ex Nihilo wrote:i would say to ask him for help. but don't immitate him. it could damage things in the future.
i totally agree. our old drum major is showing up during band camp sometimes and whenever he does i always have some kind of question to ask him and he always gives me great advice. but i don't try to be like him because as a leader you have to do just that, lead and not try to continue some legacy of leadership. you were chosen for the position for a reason, and that wasn't because of the doubt you have about youself. so i suggest not trying to fill your old section leader's shoes but your own because everyone can tell when you're trying too hard.

trust me, you got your position for a reason. be more confident.
K-HIGH 4 LIFE

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:32 pm

If there's ANYONE that has a "comparison" issue in his life, it would be me. But to overcome that, you have to do what YOU know is right, what you're trained to do, and simply do the very best you can. PERIOD. If anyone makes a comparison to whoever came before you, and tells you about it (which most likely will never happen), then you just say I'm doing my best and I'm not him. If people make comparisons to the other guy without telling you (which will happen) you can't deny human nature. It happens.

Your goal is to do things you know is right for the program, to SERVE those that you lead (a big concept from California Leadership Academy), and to be humble enough to ask for help.

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:10 am

Don't try to fill their shoes. You should not try to be better(or as good as) somebody else. You should only do what you think is best. Concentrate on being the best section leader you can be. Not a better section leader than somebody else.
Last edited by Zarathrustra on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga

musicallife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musicallife » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:58 pm

Just try your best....that is all anyone should ask out of you. Be part of the band and enjoy your time there.
>>>Jessica
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>French Horns are amazing!
>>Section leader, Uniform manager

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm

All I can say is do the best you can. Even if people compare you to him, people in general can tell when someone is working hard to try and accomplish what they are aiming for. Your section will respect you for trying, and thats what all good leaders gain from their followers- respect. The only problem comes when you do not try.

Urgasandonald

me too!

Post by Urgasandonald » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 am

haha i have that same problem! but im in high school but pretty much the same thing right? our section leader was the best and then he goes and moves up to college. im doing my best to step up and i think its working haha well all i cna say is... act the part.

LittleOne10

Post by LittleOne10 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm in the same boat as well. Expectations are high and I am constantly wondering whether anything is good enough. I found that really just doing my best and becoming more comfortable around my section helped me take lead over my responsibilities with more ease.