juggling too many things...

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

juggling too many things...

Post by Flying bird » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:18 pm

Being a student leader does anyone have one of those days where you think you're just not going to make it? When school starts juggling homework, clubs, and band seems like Mount Everest. Many people have quit because they think they're going to be too "busy." I'm personally gonna be as busy as them so i try to push myself and take the risk for the experience. All those quitters...i look down on them, complaining about homework when i barely started homework when rehearsal is about to start.

only4years
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by only4years » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:35 pm

wow, i think this is a very worthwhile subject.

Every day I wake up I feel overwhelmed to the point of just wanting to stay in bed all day. Being DM, involved in 3 ensembles (wind, chamber, and orchestra), and a student with all kinds of homework is a strenuous work out for my patience and sanity. But, in case any of you all ever feel like that there are a few things I do to help me overcome those overwhelming feelings, get the job(s) done, and come out better because of it.

1) Scheduling. okay, it sounds simple. but really. Just setting a Very SPECIFIC schedule of practice/homework/rehearsal/whatever else times for each day (and sticking to it!) can be a nice track of consistency when everything other thing seems chaotic. Going over in your mind what exactly you have to do for that day before you start it is also a good way to prepare yourself for what's coming, on a daily basis, of course.

2) "back to basics." okay, I'm making that term up. What I mean by it is trying to remember why I'm doing all of this. Sometimes I get so caught up in all the details of every activity that I forget what made me want to do it in the first place, what makes it make me feel good. When I remember I find more energy and enthusiasm that I need to make it through.

3) day by day. I find it helpful to think about only on thing at a time while I'm engaged with it, otherwise I get overwhelmed and cant do anything at all, which makes me fall behind, which just adds more stress.

4) Rewards. Sometimes being a leader means you don't get those nice little pats on the back from people you looked forward to when you were a newbie. That doesn't mean you don't still deserve them. When I do something well, or if at the end of a month or whatever I accomplish everythign I needed to I stop for a day, or however much time I can squeeze in (:, and do something to reward myself. For me that usually means eating ice cream! :lol:

Hope some of that's helpful. Don't pull out too many hairs this marching season.

(:
"This land is your land & this land is my land-sure-but the world is run by those that never listen to music anyway"
-Bob Dylan

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:13 pm

well yeah.. i dont think i have been in that situation.. but kinda.. like drum major practice.. and project that's like half your semester grade is due the next day and i haven't even started it so after practice i get lazy.. and do it late at night.. it's liek OMG.. an dthen orchestra stuff.. oi.. it's a pain. but to me i usualy give up on school before band/ orch. band and orch is th enumber 1 priority in my schedule.. it's sad but it' strue.. but o well. i still end up balancing it
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:21 pm

same here, band for me is #1 priority. everyone keeps telling me to quit because of all the time it takes up, but that motivates me even more to finish my tasks on-time or earlier.

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:05 am

Well, I have yet to go through a year as a student leader...and I'm taking 4 APs next year....as well as doing several clubs (like Academic Decathlon). Hope I don't burn out. Haven't had as much pressure last year (left everything until the least minute, though I've mastered the art of do-an-A-project-in-15-minutes and ace-a-test-without-ever-studying)
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:15 pm

even though this is off the topic.. but you dont have to take soo many ap classes.. really.. one is enough.. dont burn yourself out on AP stuff.. it's not that important. as long as your grades are good and that you';r einvolved in other stuff. colleges dont care about AP stuff.. i fogot but my teacher once said that There are a lot of colleges that dont even look at it.. so why burn yourself out? :shock:
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:17 pm

I remember freshman year, after band camp, I promised myself I would be in band 4 years and dedicate myself to it like no other.

That year, my best friend quit band at the end of the year because of hw load. Although she was still in concert band... it was way different.

At the end of my sophomore year, another 2 of my reallly really good friends quit too.

Jr year, I was the only one in my close group of friends left.
I seized the opportunity, and attempted to make myself better while helping my section more than ever

it was great. This year two of my friends are rejoining band ... I'm so excited.

My advice to everyone... work hard and dont procrastinate

caving under the pressure isn't worth it -- its always possible to do band and school work

good luck next year everyone!
No regrets

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:58 pm

AzhlackDMPiccolo wrote:even though this is off the topic.. but you dont have to take soo many ap classes.. really.. one is enough.. dont burn yourself out on AP stuff.. it's not that important. as long as your grades are good and that you';r einvolved in other stuff. colleges dont care about AP stuff.. i fogot but my teacher once said that There are a lot of colleges that dont even look at it.. so why burn yourself out? :shock:
It's not necessarily that people always take APs for college purposes. Some people are at a higher level in some courses than others and regular non-AP classes may be too boring for them. Just like there's some people who need special classes when they are below the average, there are some who need the challenge of a harder class because they're above the average.
"Suck Less"

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:31 pm

cosmicirony7 wrote: Some people are at a higher level in some courses than others and regular non-AP classes may be too boring for them. Just like there's some people who need special classes when they are below the average, there are some who need the challenge of a harder class because they're above the average.
Amen. That's the very reason I'm taking AP classes at all. If AP classes weren't challenging I wouldn't be taking them.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:49 pm

no matter what AP classes will be the most challenging don't know about IB classes though.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:45 pm

bandsmack wrote:no matter what AP classes will be the most challenging don't know about IB classes though.
IB is harder than AP.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

PassionFlute

Post by PassionFlute » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:25 pm

Well, As for me, last year was when AP classes were first available and it was our schools first field season.... so great!

Band was awesome, I live for it, but I HATE AP classes. I'm only taking one next year....
Do or do not... there is no try...

"Success doesn't attack you, you attack it!" -Matt Power

Vista Murrieta High School Golden Alliance
Flute Section Leader
2003-2007

University of Redlands,
Class of 2011

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:00 pm

true... this year im gonna have a wake up call! yep, sophmore year i shut off my book smart all because of band, but i still got good grades. this year im signed up for 2 AP courses and one of them is history, which i havent had in a year. the other is bio, crap, im died. then i have band and im in band council and these 2 things take about 70% of my life. then im also tryin to get my license and a job, so this year will be fun but stressful. whatever ill still have band. hahhaa
CSU, Fresno
2007 - Present

Clovis High School
2003 - 2007

jimmyface inc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jimmyface inc » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:40 pm

yeah. i have the same problem this year. i signed up for 4 ap courses, yearbook, AND band. i hope i'll get through this year all in one piece. i always think "oh god... what have i gotten myself into..." =\ my parents have always told me to quit band, but it's what i love. my counselors told me that there should always be a class where you can enjoy yourself and have fun. and for me, that class is band. =] but i hope rehearsals won't get in the way of my schoolwork. =\ wish me luck this year...
Garden Grove High School
Drum Major '06-'07
IMC President '06-'07

'03 The Wind and the Lion
'04 Pirates of the Caribbean
'05 Heroes and Legends
'06 Tower of Power

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 pm

i was going to sign up for yearbook, actually i did sign up then at the last minute i bailed when i learned yearbook was the same period as jazz band, so of course band is the priority