Bb Bugles
47%

Total votes: 15

MtRidgeBrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

G or Bb

Post by MtRidgeBrass » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:33 am

Well this I suppose this is my poll that I decided to make. I'm just curious to see for how many people support what and all that other stuff.

Please vote, and I'll remain unbiased after this statement:

Real Men march G.
Alex

hboyce
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by hboyce » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:11 pm

Just give me a horn and I'll play it. I don't see why it matters. They both have their advantages and disadvantages which really don't matter because it's mostly dependant on the player. What annoys me is people are gung ho G. And just because I don't play in G means I'm inferior and I don't deserve the credit as you did for working my freaking butt off through all the sweat and tears to put all I have into the performance. It shouldn't matter what's in front of my face while doing so. But besides that I prefer Bb(F) because it's what I've pretty much been playing most of my musical career on brass. I haven't played on G long enough to have much of preference for it.
--Hunter

azul

Post by azul » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:10 pm

out of tune? let's talk about vanguard 2000, good show, but HORRIBLY out of tune, and in Bb. g bugles can play louder, deeper and darker than Bb horns.
Do it up Troop!

MtRidgeBrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MtRidgeBrass » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:19 pm

Euph,
Read the entire post before you criticize, all bugles can have problems with tunings, whether it be in the key of G or Bb. The troopers are getting brand new G bugles. The new ones that we have recieved so far, have been greatly in tune. G bugles can be in tune just as easily as Bb and they have that awesome dark sound that the audience loves.
Alex

hboyce
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by hboyce » Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:42 pm

azul wrote:out of tune? let's talk about vanguard 2000, good show, but HORRIBLY out of tune, and in Bb. g bugles can play louder, deeper and darker than Bb horns.
Vanguard were using G horns in 2000. Steve Rondiniro even made some comment about it on the finals broadcast. And the sound a horn produces is all dependant on the player. Yeah G's have the capability to play dark loud and deep. But it doesn't mean that a Bb can't play louder, darker, or deeper than a G.
--Hunter

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:08 pm

Yep yep yep. The issue is the performer more often than it is the instrument. Normally. Personal I've got no problem with either.

That said, I think the G's start to sound a little nasally in higher registers, but that's just a personal opinion. I do think the amazing sound put out by the Cavaliers in 2002 could not have been done without Bb bugles.

MtRidgeBrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MtRidgeBrass » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:33 pm

I was wondering what your opinion would be phantom. You definitely seem to know what you're talking about. No sarcasm, just admiration.

I wanna be just like PhantomPhan.
Okay maybe not that obsessive.
Alex

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:27 am

Thank you. :) Everything I know I learned from talking with other people who know what the heck they're talking about, too. While I'd like to put all the credit on my natural musical talent as both a composer and performer, that just isn't the case. Knowledge, all knowledge, comes from some place else. I picked up a lot from my music instructors in college, from talking to various band directors from around the country, from talking to various drum corps instructors from around the country, from band alumni, guard alumni and corps alumni from all over the place, and many many others. I've picked up a lot from both of Dave's sites, both on this message forum and his drum corps forum over on the Sound Machine page.

But, yeah, in addition to that, I am a tad bit obsessive about my drum corps. 8-)

MtRidgeBrass
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MtRidgeBrass » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:07 pm

Yeah, knowledge is definitely a great thing.

Next year I'm moving back east, I plan on auditioning for Phantom Regiment, hopefully I can get in. I'll also be auditioning for Crossmen probably. This year its in the troopers, which has been an awesome experience so far.

Take Care
Alex

azul

Post by azul » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:10 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:I do think the amazing sound put out by the Cavaliers in 2002 could not have been done without Bb bugles.
Blue Devils 1990(loudest brass section in dci history to this date), Star '93, vanguard 1989, need i go on?

scv marched g in 2000? well excuse me while i go crap a brick :?
Do it up Troop!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:55 am

azul wrote:
Phantom Phan wrote:I do think the amazing sound put out by the Cavaliers in 2002 could not have been done without Bb bugles.
Blue Devils 1990(loudest brass section in dci history to this date), Star '93, vanguard 1989, need i go on?

scv marched g in 2000? well excuse me while i go crap a brick :?
I have heard all of those shows you list, and while I really like Star '93 and SCV '00, I don't think ANY of those shows came CLOSE to having the balance, blend, intonation, and tone quality of the 2002 Cavaliers.

Please note that "amazing sound" does not mean VOLUME. Just about ALL of the shows you listed were louder than the Cavs, but that's not the point. From a quality of sound standpoint, I feel they all get left in the dust.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:59 am

Afterthought: Hell, SCV didn't even have the best brass sound in 1989 (that would be Phantom Regiment, thank you). Pull out a recording of that show and listen to the sop solo in "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." I little bit nasally and grating. Not bad by any means, but nowhere close to the smoothness that I've heard from other G lines.