Graduation Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Today at our senior class graduation practice, one of the administators said that one of the other administrators would give $10 to the first person who could name the composer of Pomp & Circumstance. :lol: I didn't really feel like getting up, though. And besides, I thought it would be kind of unfair for me to say it since I've played it for 3 years and I'm our band librarian, so I figured I'd give someone else a shot. I don't know if anyone else ever got it or not.
He should have asked who arranged the version our band plays; that probably no one would have gotten :twisted: (The answer is Gardner)

gloria
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gloria » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:31 pm

We're doing Pomp and Circumstance arranged by Grundman.
But I don't want the seniors to graduate!

swuster
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by swuster » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:39 pm

...yeah...grundman...but i can never remember his signals...one finger means take fist ending and go back to repeat sign...fist means go to 5 after first ending, and hang loose means finish it i think...someone correct me if i'm wrong.
WoP Champion!
2005 SD Alternative
MCHS Marching Sundevils
DON'T GO HERE

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:52 pm

swuster wrote:...yeah...grundman...but i can never remember his signals...one finger means take fist ending and go back to repeat sign...fist means go to 5 after first ending, and hang loose means finish it i think...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

lol. I think we should try those......well, I just like the hang loose!!!!
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am

in high school we played the hiphop arrangement from kanye west.

i keed, i keed. :P

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:46 am

Pomp and Circumstance is actually a series of marches by Edward Elgar. The theme we know as "P and C" is actually only one of the sections of Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1. If a a band were to play a good arrangement of the entire piece, even though it is very difficult, I think the band members might enjoy it better. But the best graduation march I ever played was Crown Imperial March by William Walton. We used it when I was a student at San Bernardino Valley College. We never had to play it more than twice through.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:47 am

Pomp and Circumstance is actually a series of marches by Edward Elgar. The theme we know as "P and C" is actually only one of the sections of Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1. If a a band were to play a good arrangement of the entire piece, even though it is very difficult, I think the band members might enjoy it better. But the best graduation march I ever played was Crown Imperial March by William Walton. We used it when I was a student at San Bernardino Valley College. We never had to play it more than twice through.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:48 am

Last edited by LoyalTubist on Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post by mightyhorn » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:41 am

Every school I've taught at....
Every school I've played at....
We've either done the standard Grundman arrangement or an arrangement so watered down that you could cry playing it.
But... most schools have their traditions and EVERYONE is used to the same music each year/ Want to see a senior advisor freak? Play different music. When I was in high school, our band director was "fed up" with P & C so our combined A/B Bands played Procession of the Nobles. He got in hot water for that one so the next year....
mightyhorn

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:51 pm

TMR Quint Kid wrote:Graduate 2005 of Tustin HS

Now, sadly, has no affliation with TMR, except friends.
That's what growing up is all about.