2%
Army of the Nile
30%

Total votes: 46

Luis
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Luis » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:48 pm

I know it's a little out of hand but here are my top 20 in order!

20. Sabres and Spurs
19. The Dauntless Batallion
18. Guide Right
17. Army of the Nile
16. March of the Women Marines
15. Bullets and Bayonets
14. On Parade
13. Hands Accross the Sea
12. Eagle Squadron
11. Who's Who in Navy Blue
10. The Belle of Chicago
09. Solid Men to the Front!
08. Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company
07. US Field Artillery
06. Stars and Stripes Forever

My Top 5 are:

05. The Purple Carnival
04. Shrewbury Fair
03. Revelation
02. Royal Welch Fusiliers
01. Washington Grays

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:45 pm

That it is, it probably should've made my honorable mentions list. Do you have a copy of "Glorious Victory"? Notice how the intros to Carry On and Glorious Victory are almost exactly identical? :)

I think "In Storm and Sunshine" is a bit overrated. *I* used to overrate it, even. It sounds like a great march until you've heard 300-400 of them, and then it doesn't seem so good any more.

Sonntag Ist's is a march I wouldn't mind finding on CD...
yeah i noticed that about the two marches. i think i like carry on more though, but i'll have to find a copy of glorious victory and listen again.

in storm and sunshine, as a march, is ok. but when i hear it on the street played well, it's always soo fun for me to watch. i'm sure after i've heard it 400 times i'll feel the same way though hehe.
i haven' t found sonntag ist's on a cd, and don't even know if my band director has it. she gave me a recording once, but it was of us at band camp, which was not something anyone would want to hear.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:09 pm

PantherBandFreak wrote:
That it is, it probably should've made my honorable mentions list. Do you have a copy of "Glorious Victory"? Notice how the intros to Carry On and Glorious Victory are almost exactly identical? :)
yeah i noticed that about the two marches. i think i like carry on more though, but i'll have to find a copy of glorious victory and listen again.
I agree. Despite their opening similarities, I think "Carry On" is a much better march than "Glorious Victory."

PJ
New Recruit
New Recruit

Favorite March

Post by PJ » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:12 am

Right now it is Chimes of Liberty -- but that will probably change with the next CD I buy. I also like The Black Horse Troop and Riders for the Flag, both by J.P. Sousa.

Amber_dyan

Post by Amber_dyan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Thats an incredibly hard question.

I've preformed Stars and Stripes Forever more times than I can count... or want to count. Plus, I tripped and fell doing it once.... its not one of my favorites.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Carry On vs Glorious Victory

Post by JCYS » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:16 pm

They have some surface similarities in the intro, that is for sure. The woodwind runs, the measure of silence, etc. After the intro though there is really very little similarity between them.

Carry On predates Glorious Victory in copyright by almost 20 years, CO being written in 1928 and Glorious Vic in 1947.

They do share one other similarity...both of them have literally unknown composers who, despite much research done, no one has been able to find out much about. Herbert Winson and W.M. Kendall remain lost in obscurity.

Glorious Vic has been heard on British recordings back into the 50's or 60's, most often done by the Royal Marines Band. C.O. is much more rare, coming onto recordings only 2 or 3 times I know of, recorded mostly by Guards bands (ie Welsh Guards, etc.)

Its really common for a composer to write one really great march, and the rest mediocre (EE Bagley of National Emblem fame is one example), but for these two guys to write one great march, then NO other marches seems really odd.

For example...if you like Graham's march "The Champion" and looks through the Boosey & Hawkes archive, you will find a number of other marches by Graham. I have seen a couple of them. They are difficult, but not great street marches. Or if you love "Arromanches" and "Arnhem" you will find in the the Molanaar catalog at least 3 more by AE Kelly...but they are no where near the kind of march those first two. But if you look at these sources, you will find no other marches or music by Winson or Kendall.

When a British military bandsman attends the Royal Military School of Music (Kneller Hall) to become a bandmaster of a regiment (the Royal Marines have their own school of music, as I assume so does the Royal Air Force)...they have to write a march. This tradition goes back 100 years or more. Kenneth Alford (aka Fred Ricketts) did not win his grad year...but the march that did win "Namur" has his musical fingerprints all over it...and stories go that he helped WV Richards with it. Other stories say that isn't true, but anyone with an ounce of musical training can hear SO much Alford in Namur that it doesn't seem likely he had nothing to do with it. It sounds like a cross between the Great Little Army and Holyrood.

The Brits don't seem to keep good records on who wrote what or when for this annual march competition..until recently. But it would seem that neither Carry On or Glorious Vicotry were winners of this competition...which has produced many "one time wonders" from student bandmasters.

So we may never know where those 2 fine marches came from.

jcys

copycat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by copycat » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Joyce's 71st, stars & stripes forever, shrewsberry fair
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:09 pm

my band is doing army of the nile next year. i haven't heard it though
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:22 pm

army of the nile is a a great march for low brass player or even brass... but the woodwind parts is fast butnot that great.. if ur a woodwind player a good moarch is stars and strips, crosley, lots of runs....
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Carry On vs Glorious Victory

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:59 am

jcys wrote:Its really common for a composer to write one really great march, and the rest mediocre (EE Bagley of National Emblem fame is one example), but for these two guys to write one great march, then NO other marches seems really odd.
Didn't we have an American example of that? I seem to recall that Earl E. McCoy wrote "Lights Out!" while a student at Illinois(?) and that's the only known work by him.

jfernengel

Re: Carry On vs Glorious Victory

Post by jfernengel » Thu May 29, 2014 7:13 am

JCYS wrote:
Carry On predates Glorious Victory in copyright by almost 20 years, CO being written in 1928 and Glorious Vic in 1947.

They do share one other similarity...both of them have literally unknown composers who, despite much research done, no one has been able to find out much about. Herbert Winson and W.M. Kendall remain lost in obscurity.
Hello,

I realize this is really old and that it probably won't be seen, but Herbert Winson is my great, great grandfather :) I came across this doing some genealogy after someone contacted me asking if he was the one that wrote 'Carry on' Can anyone tell me anything about the song or anything that would be helpful?

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: What's your favorite march?

Post by JCYS » Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Just personal preference...

I like Sousa's later works more than his earlier ones, so I'd have to put Solid Men on before S & S...and wouldn't put Nobles on there AT ALL, even though it is a later march.

I like Purple Carnival, but think I prefer Law and Order. Harry Alford marches are powerful, but wear on you after a while.

For shear musicality it would have to be Army of the Nile...which arguably has one of the prettiest trios in marchdom.

By your 5 choices I'd say you are from SoCal not NorCal.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Fri May 30, 2014 7:43 am

My favorite 5 would be:

5. Eagle Squadron
4. Roll Away Bet!
3. Unter der Admiral's Flagge
2. Boys of the Old Brigade

1. Ravenswood

stewartjames008
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by stewartjames008 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:51 pm

I give thumps up for Rolling thunder. I just can't miss the performances they give for anything.

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I love marches so I have to chime in.

I don't have one favorite, it would be three and in no particular order, here they are:

The Cossack
Lenzburg
Queensbury

I REALLY want to hear someone play those last two on the street up here in NorCal.
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga