religion?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

skankinmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

religion?

Post by skankinmello » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:48 pm

what do you guys believe? like is there God or not? or do you believe the jewish faith or the catholic faith or what? i was just wondering...
"Water isn't healthy, it doesn't have anything in it."

Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Spin Doctor » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:41 pm

Yes...ther is a God...we call him God Image
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:18 pm

This is an interesting subject and I am surprised that it has not come up before.

For my two cents worth...

Religion and faith are two different things.

Sometimes it seems, oh my I know the flames will fly after this, that the practice of religion is an effort to convince other PEOPLE that you have faith in whichever ultimate being, if any, that you believe in.

Faith is just that. It is something that you personally feel, and is something that you should not need to prove to anyone else. Whichever being you have faith in, if at all, should feel this faith from you. Not through proving your actions to other people, but by proving it through the way you live your life.

On the other hand, the abuse of religion can be used to control the weak-minded and downtrodden. Look at all of the cults that draw people in. they intentionally draw in people with personal problems by promising them some type of enlightenment or personal resolution by commiting acts of faith to the organization in the name of some entitiy.

Look at the MISUSE of the beliefs of Islam. From what I know about Islam, it is not an edict of the religion to go out and commit suicide in order to inflict damage upon people that are not Muslims. People in perceived positions of power within the religion get the weaker minded people to do their bidding. If the "religious leaders" are so righteous and sure of the rewards of such actions, then why aren't they the ones strapping the bombs to their chests in the name of Allah?

Long story short, FAITH is the most important thing. Without that, actions and religious requirements are emtpy, meaningless, and fraudulent.

Puck
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Puck » Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:16 am

I am Roman Catholic, born and raised.
http://www.wginsider.com/
Visit WGInsider.com for the latest WGI Rankings and more!

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." ~Will Durant

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:30 am

I am Christian, even though most people who believe in Jesus Christ as there savior are Christian, I am just an in general Christian. However, I agree with SithScorp. My own father tries to use "religion" to force me to do things. It does not work, but the point is, is that he does it. Another thing that bugs me, is that people believe that they can force their religion upon others. Example, lets say that you are Christian, than more than likely, you do not believe in abortion. However, they feel it is their duty to make sure that no one else does either. It bugs me that people stand out front of, in this case, abortion clinics and try to make some one who has made the decision to, change their mind. I do not believe in it, but I will not tell some one that they are wrong for making the decision to do this. It is their mind, their body, not mine. Therefore they can believe in whatever they want. I do not want to tell them their wrong, because I might be wrong. So, that is my three cents. I hope that no one takes offense to what I have said.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mytree003 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:29 pm

I am roud to say that I am Christian. I have accepted Jesus into my heart as my Lord and savior. And it's a great feeling! Jesus' love brings great happiness because it is the greatest love of all. At least that's what I sincerely believe in. It is my faith and not my religion. I agree with SithScorp taht religion and faith are two different things. Faith is all about what you believe in. Religion is a REALLY BORING routine you go through...and I'm not trying to bag on the Catholics, even if it can be boring. Shouldn't going to church be all about praising our Lord instead of sitting there bored or picking at your body parts, whatever it might be....? And singing! I'm sure lots of people hate singing in church. I know I used to, but I love it now. It's my way of saying thank you to Jesus for dying on the cross for me so that my sins could be cleansed, so that I have a chance to join Him in Heaven. He doesn't want anyone to go to Hell...I hope no has to...I hope I have not offended anyone or made myself look like I'm promoting my church because I'm not. Remember that Jesus loves you!
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:39 pm

Christian and proud of it! :D and i want to apoligize for christians who go around and stand outside abortion clinics or try to "preach" to people every chance they get. not all christians are like that!!! if God touches your heart and causes you to want to have him as your Lord and Savior then i am always open to answering questions, but i would never try to force my faith on you! God Bless! :D

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:21 pm

I classify myself as "spiritual." I believe in a higher power called God, but am generally anti-religion. I do not like organized religions at all. I am a firm believer in "vertical" prayer and hold a great distaste for "horizontal" prayer, which is (unfortunately) the building block of virtually every religion.

In the words of Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times:
"This is really an argument between two kinds of prayer--vertical and horizontal. I don't have the slightest problem with vertical prayer. It is horizontal prayer that frightens me. Vertical prayer is private, directed upward toward heaven. It need not be spoken aloud, because God is a spirit and has no ears. Horizontal prayer must always be audible, because its purpose is not to be heard by God, but to be heard by fellow men standing within earshot.

To choose an example from football, when my team needs a field goal to win and I think, ''Please, dear God, let them make it!''--that is vertical prayer. When, before the game, a group of fans joins hands and ''voluntarily'' recites the Lord's Prayer--that is horizontal prayer. It serves one of two purposes: to encourage me to join them, or to make me feel excluded.

Although some of the horizontal devout are sincere, others use this prayer as a device of recruitment or intimidation. If you are conspicuous in your refusal to go along, they may even turn and pray while holding you directly in their sights.

This simple insight about two kinds of prayer, which is beyond theological question, should bring a dead halt to the obsession with prayer in public places. It doesn't, because the purpose of its supporters is political, not spiritual. Their faith is like Dial soap: Now that they use it, they wish everyone would. I grew up in an America where people of good breeding did not impose their religious convictions upon those they did not know very well. Now those manners have been discarded."

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:36 pm

phantom phan~ although i agree with you that vertical prayer is better that horizantal prayer, not all organized religions support horizantal prayer. there is a verse in the Bble that states:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6

That is taken out of the New International Version of the Holy Bible. I can only speak for Christians, but we believe that the best way to communicate to God is when you are alone with Him.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:47 pm

RifleDiva wrote:phantom phan~ although i agree with you that vertical prayer is better that horizantal prayer, not all organized religions support horizantal prayer. there is a verse in the Bble that states:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6

That is taken out of the New International Version of the Holy Bible. I can only speak for Christians, but we believe that the best way to communicate to God is when you are alone with Him.
That's my favorite bible quote. I respect religions but I HATE preachers.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:48 pm

RifleDiva wrote:phantom phan~ although i agree with you that vertical prayer is better that horizantal prayer, not all organized religions support horizantal prayer. there is a verse in the Bble that states:

I appreciate and respect those who worship vertically, and know several people like that. Still, I have (unfortunately) encountered too many of the other types to be very enamored of religion. But that's just me. To each their own.

That is a good quote, though, and one I'll have to file away for future reference. :)

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:20 am

That's my favorite bible quote. I respect religions but I HATE preachers.
AMEN. I know that I am a christian, but my Dad is one of those men that thinks that he can convert any person that he comes into contact with. However, because of this, he has quite a few enemies. That is why, if you have any questions, I am always open, but I won't try to convert a person at all costs.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:32 pm

Bravo. I think that is how people of ALL religions should be. I only wished more followed your lead, Personal.

titoortizufcchampfan

Post by titoortizufcchampfan » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:02 pm

I'm a christian and I believe there is a GOD. But I do respect other people's point of view at the same time.

Tim Lee

P.S. UFC 43 Main Event Light Heavyweight Interim Title Bout:
Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell Vs. Randy "The Natural" Couture
I'm going to see it live.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:42 am

That is one of my favorite quotes also. I am Christain, but I don't 'flaunt' it (for lack of a better word) unless someone asks me.