Graduation Music

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Graduation Music

Post by Jakob der ludner » Sat May 21, 2005 3:08 pm

It's almost that time of year again folks. We can almost smell graduation coming. Tassels in the air, smiles and tears on people's faces, and of course, the bando's (and no doubt, the administration's) worst nightmare, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance played enough times over to rival the Energizer bunny. My question is, what music are you guys going to play for graduation? And also, what arrangement of Pomp and Circumstance do you guys have?

We're playing Grundman's arrangement of Pomp and Circumstance. In addition, we're also playing Emperata Overture by Claude T. Smith, and Battle Hymn of the Republic (I forgot which arrangement, but it's with choir and orchestra). In addition, we're also playing a majority of our spring music "pre-graduation" because it's tradition here to have the seniors conduct music before graduation actually starts.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Sat May 21, 2005 8:06 pm

stupid graduations. sad to se the seniors leave though. stupid graduation music.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sat May 21, 2005 9:23 pm

every year we play the most watered down version of pomp and circumstance in the world arr. polyhar. and then at the end we play the seniors competition marches from all 4 years. except this year, they're not playing our marches, they're playing the rose parade music, and a lot of us are sad because the marches are like the most memorable part too. grr. oh well.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Lela
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Lela » Sun May 22, 2005 11:35 pm

I can't recall which arrangement it is, but i'm guessing we play the same arr. as PantherBandFreak, we even skip the middle to and just do the intro and skip straight to the repetition. Then we play the same Battle Hymn of the Republic as we do for the spring concert with the choir, our Alma Mater (Far above Cayugas Waters), and Star Spangled Banner. Way exciting ><

JonnyRad7
New Recruit
New Recruit

pretty boring

Post by JonnyRad7 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:06 pm

i dont noe which arrangement we play but we play a really simple one that we have to reapeat forever!!! it sux. but before graduation we usually play the music that we did at our last concert, and if we have learned enought of it yet, feild show! but thats only if. and after we play our alma mater, and our signature song "GAUCHO", i call it that because the mascot of our school is the Gauchos, so i find it funny that we play a song called GAUCHO.

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Mon May 23, 2005 9:01 pm

Ours is arranged by Clare Grundman.

And we also play another song every year, but we haven't chosed one for this year yet.
"Suck Less"

pitchick00
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pitchick00 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:50 pm

@ my hs of course there was pomp and circumstance. then we had a bunch of pep band music, including "its so hard to say goodbye to yesterday", "end of the road," and "we've only just begun." and there was also the alma mater, and our "fight song." we also played star spangled banner, and our march of the spring season. i can't remember what else cause i graduated from high school 5 years ago.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

vallejo high school 97-00
san jose state 00-01
vhs pit instructor 01-03
vms pit instructor 04-05

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:29 pm

milpitas plays a recording of p and c, and usually we have someone sing the alma mater, and the senior song... which is usually something sappy like hard to say goodbye, or i will remember you.. etc etc...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

scriblerdesuenos
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by scriblerdesuenos » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:44 pm

chsbando07 wrote:stupid graduations. sad to se the seniors leave though. stupid graduation music.
chsbando07 says it perfectly...
JLHS

dream as if you have forever live as if you only have today

JohnnyffX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JohnnyffX » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 pm

ughh we are playing elgar's arrangement again...for like the MILLIONTH time
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong...

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:15 am

JohnnyffX wrote:ughh we are playing elgar's arrangement again...for like the MILLIONTH time
Understandable since ELGAR WROTE ITI :twisted:

It's arranged by Grundman, Kinyon, Ployhar, Isaac and many. many, many others. But no matter how you slice or dice it, Elgar's name will (should) appear on it.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:00 am

PGOK wrote:
JohnnyffX wrote:ughh we are playing elgar's arrangement again...for like the MILLIONTH time

It's arranged by Grundman, Kinyon, Ployhar, Isaac and many. many, many others. But no matter how you slice or dice it, Elgar's name will (should) appear on it.
I was going to say, isn't Elgar's arrangment for full orchestra and not band? ;)

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
PGOK wrote:

I was going to say, isn't Elgar's arrangment for full orchestra and not band? ;)

Touche'
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:51 pm

Anyone else here doing Peter J. Wilzhousky's (sp?) arrangement of Battle Hymn of the Republic? I've heard it done a few times by service bands, and was wondering if it's one of those "kitten-killer" arrangements that everyone has and plays(i must admit though, i like this arrangement).
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:50 pm

WOW, I am suprized we only played through Pomp and Circumstance 4 or 5 times. I remember when we did 8. That sucked. Oh well, that was my 5th and final year, because I played with the band when I was in jr. high. Well, I will be a mighty Senior next year!!!!LOL, no more playing that song!!!!!
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor