the hardest song u have ever played

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

clarinetwitproblems08
Rookie
Rookie
Location: you know that one town that is by Knott's Berry farm that no one knows the name to......

the hardest song u have ever played

Post by clarinetwitproblems08 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:20 pm

well this year we are playing first suite in E flat and omg! if is hard. in the first movement clarinets have the "run from hell" grrr...... i love the way the song sounds but it is hard!

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Mon May 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Yes, I specifically remember that clarinet run when our band played it two years ago!

I'm currently working on what is probably the hardest piece I've ever played: The Creston Concertino for Marimba and Orchestra. The first and second movements aren't that bad, but the 3rd movement is insane! I'm sure that once you have it in your hands, it's quite easy, but learning it is like "AHHH! SO MANY NOTES!"
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Mon May 02, 2005 4:22 pm

I'm not really sure what my hardest piece was. It would have to be a tie between Variations on a Korean Folk Song and Hounds of Spring. Variations does have a bunch of places where there's narry a white a spot on the page, but above all, it forces me to listen to intonation. We had major intonation problems in that piece last year. Plus, the staggered entrances in the end are a pain because no two parts in the same section come in at the same time. You have to listen across if you're too lazy to count the rests. Same with Hounds of Spring, though the most notable difference is that there are a LOT more notes and a LOT more accidentals.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Lela
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Lela » Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 pm

The old Director for our band, Mr Duarte, wrote a few songs and we're playing one of his songs "Celebration of Life." It's crazy. When we first tried I thought that there was no way we're get it up to preformance level. It's like 8 pages and each part is difficult, yes, but combining them all at once is even worse.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm

umm probably 12 seconds to the moon? i'm not sure.. we've played alot of difficult music...
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue May 03, 2005 7:46 am

Hm. Liturgical Dances by Holsinger was a bear, and I had to learn it in two days! (Honor Band.)

But a "difficult" piece isn't always the one with the most runs. Shostakovich's Prelude, Op. 34, No. 14 is a surprisingly challenging piece to nail down due to the huge amounts of exposure H. Robert Reynolds wrote into his arrangement, even though the piece is only like 30 measures long.

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Tue May 03, 2005 8:30 pm

were jus reading this piece called third symphony by barnes. its hard but my director wants to play it nex year. but whatever......

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 am

Phantom Phan wrote:Hm. Liturgical Dances by Holsinger was a bear, and I had to learn it in two days! (Honor Band.)

But a "difficult" piece isn't always the one with the most runs. Shostakovich's Prelude, Op. 34, No. 14 is a surprisingly challenging piece to nail down due to the huge amounts of exposure H. Robert Reynolds wrote into his arrangement, even though the piece is only like 30 measures long.
really true... usually the runs are the easiest part in music...(well then again i do play flute, so that's expected)

to tame the perilous skies is pretty intense...

another hard piece--paris sketches. probably the hardest or one of the hardest i've played. definitely exposing everywhere.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

gooberxxxzzz

Post by gooberxxxzzz » Sat May 07, 2005 1:54 pm

ran kan kan

WildMooseStyle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WildMooseStyle » Sat May 07, 2005 3:52 pm

We played To Tame the Perilous Skies for our festival this year. Last year we played Canzona, I can't remember who it's by, but it's really syncopated and has weird intervals.
Solid Gold Sound

'05-'06: Trumpet Section Leader, Hornline Captain
'06-'07: Drum Major
'07-'08: UCLA 1st Trumpet

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat May 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Confederate Brass wrote:Last year we played Canzona, I can't remember who it's by, but it's really syncopated and has weird intervals.
Peter Mennin

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Sat May 07, 2005 5:18 pm

my group is working on Aegean Festival Overture (spelling? sorry). i dont remember who its by, but in terms of the concentration it takes, its probably the most difficult ive ever seen. im playing snare drum on it, so chops-wise its nothing too crazy, but it changes time sig. a million and a half times...from 4/4 to 3/4 to 7/8 to 5/8 to 4/8 to 5/8 again...but the groupings within the chunks of 5/8 arent consistent...it goes 2+3,3+2,2+3 and so on but it doesnt always alternate like that. the irregularity makes it require so much concentration, and i dont even play half the time. for the other sections it is INTENSELY difficult because they have all the time issues plus complicated runs etc. its really fun tho, a great feeling to get through a section solidly.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:31 am

i would have to say the 3rd movemet of Jagr's 3rd suite is a killer, Nelhybel's Symphonic Movement was very difficult but in like 3 weeks we got it down good enough for festival to get us superiors from all judges and yeah thatt 3rd movement of First Suite in Eb was challenging and uhm ill come up with some more later

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu May 12, 2005 9:42 am

RBSnare wrote:my group is working on Aegean Festival Overture (spelling? sorry). i dont remember who its by
Andreas Makris, I think.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue May 31, 2005 11:25 pm

El Salon Mexico by Aaron Copeland has got to be one of the craziest syncopated songs I've ever seen, heard, or played.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS