Stuff for a jazz band to do

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Schooper

Stuff for a jazz band to do

Post by Schooper » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:46 pm

Hey, my schools jazz band director is kinda new to the area and asked us students to find some cool places or competitions our (la canada's) jazz band could play at. Anyone got some good suggestions, websites, places or people to contact for this stuff?
:?:
------------------------------------------------------
To all you SCPA folks, I'm not 40. Oh ya, and I marched mellophone for 4 years in first semester, and played pit for 4 years in second semester, and one thing, marching is harder.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:39 pm

gangemi could tell you some useful info. Besides being our assistant director, he also has his own big band, Lane 29, so I'm sure he could tell you some good pieces and stuff.

Serranoband
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Serranoband » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:49 pm

If you play a lot of 30's type big band charts, you should have your director contact a local VA hospital. My jazz band has played some gigs for senior citizens, and they love us! We play 'In the Mood', 'Little Brown Jug', and other stuff they know. My dad volunteers in a VA hospital and says they would love us there, so we've set up a performance at our local hospital. It'll be great for the patients and it'll be great for the kids to see the price of freedom.
A really nice festival in a great location is the Playdays festival, held in Monterey Park at an outdoor amphitheatre. It's usually run by the people at Mark Keppel HS, and is the 2nd weekend in May.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Stuff for a jazz band to do

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:08 am

Schooper wrote:Hey, my schools jazz band director is kinda new to the area and asked us students to find some cool places or competitions our (la canada's) jazz band could play at. Anyone got some good suggestions, websites, places or people to contact for this stuff?
:?:
Well, if you don't mind doing a little travelling, there are a few fun festivals (also heard of groups doing gigs on ocean liners).

-World of Pageantry hosts the WoP Invitational in Hawaii. Look for the info in this very website.
-Monterey plays host to the world famous Monterey Jazz Festival which includes a competition for school ensembles with the chance to perform in front of thousands of people.
-San Jose has a fairly new Afro-Latin Jazz Festival where schools compete and get clinics, as well as the nation's largest free jazz festival (hosted by AT&T and Southwest Airlines, usually in August). www.sanjosejazz.org
-Reno Jazz Festival
-Folsom Jazz Festival (Sacramento)

Definitely check out CMEA's website for festivals in your area. Some of the area colleges will also host something.

TuffTeddyBear

stuff for a jazz band to do

Post by TuffTeddyBear » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:25 pm

Hey! If ur looking for places to go just go and play at the mall or at ur school during lunch or at restaurants. Play music such as In the mood and popular songs that people would know for those types of performances and then for festivals just play stuff the director gets u!javascript:emoticon(':D')
~love yall,
Girl

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:31 am

I am Personally not in the jazz band at my school, but I know that they go and play at the old folks home in my area, and you can go play in the park sometime, or other public places. Our jazz band does very few festivals, they are more of a public group. They have played some gigs in places that have gotten them offers for money. So, try some public places first. But, if you find a festival, than go for it.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."