Favorite Composers

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:40 am

I would have to whole heartedly agree on the Phillipe Spark comment. I have the pleasure of playing one of his pieces this year. We are playing "Invictus." In fact, we are playing it today at the Ramona concert in Riverside. I have played Kaddish in the past, and did not really enjoy it that much. As you said though, I do not enjoy "12 Seconds to the Moon," but I do enjoy "Inchon."
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

ctr

classical music

Post by ctr » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:27 am

our orchestra seems to play at least 2 Tchaikowsky pieces a year (Romeo and Juliet, Marche Slav, the Nutcracker, 4th and 5th Symphonies, and Violin Concerto in the past 2 years), and i think his music is fantastic. I don't care how many times it is overplayed, one of my favorite pieces will always be the 1812 Overture. it is such a fun piece to listen to- my sister and i always make a game of trying to correctly cue the cannon blasts.

I know this board is about ensembles, but i'd also like to add that Rachmaninoff is my favorite piano composer. i get chills everytime i hear Prelude in C# minor.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:39 am

If we're talking about pieces for JUST solo piano, I'd say Chopin was the greatest, followed closely by Beethoven and maybe Shostakovich. If we're talking concertos for Piano and full orchestra... you could make a list a hundred miles long. Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Grieg, Schumann, etc. etc. etc.

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:32 pm

I like Shostickovich and Samuel Barber
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:29 am

I notice a lot of John Williams bashing on this thread. John Willams has a job, to create music to enhance a movie. While he is trying to compose something exceptional, he is also composing to support something else. His audience is the public, not the music reviewiers. John is not trying to compose the next Beethoven 5 or Shostakovich 10. John is successful when you walk out of a movie with his theme in your head. C'mon, I bet you can hum at least 4-5 themes from a John Williamss scores right now. I respect the man, as well as every other film composer. The immense amount of time and work that goes into creating a score intimidating.

Just my two cents.

Coby

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:14 am

I really like Samuel Barber. I love Adagio for Strings. Definitely one of my Fav. pieces.

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Favorite Composers

Post by altohack » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:51 pm

Personal wrote:n]
1. Dmitri Shostakovich
Is that the guy who wrote "Folk Dances"? If he is, I definitely agree.
Personal wrote:I really like Samuel Barber. I love Adagio for Strings. Definitely one of my Fav. pieces.
Its soo moving.
No regrets

angelgurrl151

Post by angelgurrl151 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:50 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Eric Whitacre! He is such an awesome modern composer! I've played many of his pieces and enjoyed every one! Also, UNLV's top wind ensemble has some awesome CDs with Eric Whitacre stuff!

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:05 pm

Dmitri Shostakovich
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

ohstenorplayer

meh

Post by ohstenorplayer » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:42 pm

I like Vincent Persicetti, especially pageant, even though the stupid tenor sax part was lacking a lot of true difficulty.
Rule Number 1: Don't Suck

"It's better to be open than to be tight when playing rolls."-Luke Young

OHSwoodwindplayer

Post by OHSwoodwindplayer » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:20 am

ya i like Vincent Persichetti also, he's a great composer, i also like Alfred Reed's Armenian Dances. I don't know why but I love that song.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: meh

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:56 am

ohstenorplayer wrote:I like Vincent Persicetti, especially pageant, even though the stupid tenor sax part was lacking a lot of true difficulty.
even though that may be true, it was a great part that added a special touch to the song.persicetti i a great composer and will remain one of my favorites .
Nothing is impossible with God!

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Oooooh!

Post by Ace » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:43 pm

I like whoever wrote the music to Harry Potter and The Mummy. And to Alf Clausen, all I have to say is " :bow: " That Simpson's song is a great score!
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Oooooh!

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:38 pm

Ace wrote:I like whoever wrote the music to Harry Potter and The Mummy. And to Alf Clausen, all I have to say is " :bow: " That Simpson's song is a great score!
Jerry Goldsmith wrote the music to the first Mummy movie. Danny Elfman wrote the theme-song to "The Simpson's."

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Oooooh!

Post by Personal » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:57 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
Ace wrote:I like whoever wrote the music to Harry Potter and The Mummy. And to Alf Clausen, all I have to say is " :bow: " That Simpson's song is a great score!
Jerry Goldsmith wrote the music to the first Mummy movie. Danny Elfman wrote the theme-song to "The Simpson's."
Com on Phantom...John Williams wrote the music to Potter, HOWEVER, I know for a fact that Phantom thinks that Mr. Williams is a hack. Maybe that is why you did not mention who wrote it...