what are you guys playing for festival

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:09 am

nice I played American Elegy for honor band and man that trumpet solo is tight its such a great song but all of tichelis songs are great like shenedoa and and Amazing Grace to and i havent played anything else from him.

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Our final list of songs for Boston is Pastime (Jack Stamp), American Elegy, and Blue Shades (both Frank Ticheli). It's all great music. :D
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:41 am

Livermore HS Period 1

Brighton Beach-Latham
Country Wildflowers-Daehn
The Dream Catcher-McBeth

Livermore HS Period 2

Galop-Shostakovitch
Salvation is Created-Tschesnokff
Havendance-Holsinger
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

What are You Playing for Festival

Post by JLGORMAN » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:13 pm

UIL Region 9 Results. 16 Bands in Class 5A. 5 Received 1st Divisions in Concert and Sight Reading.
Selections of 1st Division winning Bands

1. The Woodlands
Sinfonietta (Dahl)
The Planets (Holst)
The Boys of the old Brigade. (Chambers)

2. Spring High School
Rolling Thunder (Fillmore)
Variaants on a Medieval Tune (Dello Joio)
Gloriosa (Ito)

3. Westfield, Spring
El Capitan (Sousa)
Blue Shades (Techeli)
Symphony for Band. (Persichetti)

4. Klein
British Eighth (Elliott)
Laboring Songs (Welcher)
Lincolnshire Posy (Grainger)

5. Conroe
Chimes of Liberty (Goldwin)
Spoon River (Grainger)
Roumanian Folk Dances (Bartok)

All 5 Bands will advance to State Wind Ensemble competition in Austin on May 7th.

Klein, Conroe and the Woodlands were also awarded UIL Sweepstakes Bands Designation for receving 1st Division Ratings in Marching, Sight Reading and Concert competiton during the 2004-2005.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Miss Sigon
The Phantom of the Opera
a tribute to Benny Goodman
Big Band Signatures
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:29 pm

Now that we're moving on to Regional Festival, we're getting one new piece to play. Our director's not sure yet, but so far we've looked at Corsican Litany.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:48 am

dam for regional festival we were suppost to go to citrus college and perform 1812 overture and symponic Movement but it turns out its full already and so is the other one i think our only chance is to go to the one in sandiego but my band director isnt sure if its opened

sapphireclarinet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sapphireclarinet » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Mira Mesa High School's Wind Ensemble took Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli and Elegy by John Barnes Chance to the West Hills festival on saturday (4/16) and we got a superior :) yay. theyre both grade 5's. :D

cosmicirony7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cosmicirony7 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:04 pm

sapphireclarinet wrote:Mira Mesa High School's Wind Ensemble took Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli and Elegy by John Barnes Chance to the West Hills festival on saturday (4/16) and we got a superior :) yay. theyre both grade 5's. :D
Our band was there too, and we got a superior too. I saw you guys play. You did very well. :)
"Suck Less"

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:14 pm

cosmicirony7 wrote:
sapphireclarinet wrote:Mira Mesa High School's Wind Ensemble took Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli and Elegy by John Barnes Chance to the West Hills festival on saturday (4/16) and we got a superior :) yay. theyre both grade 5's. :D
Our band was there too, and we got a superior too. I saw you guys play. You did very well. :)
Heh, that festival was very stressful for us. I am so glad to hear you guys liked it, it being our first one!!
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

sapphireclarinet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sapphireclarinet » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:28 pm

Penguin Gunner wrote:
cosmicirony7 wrote:
Heh, that festival was very stressful for us. I am so glad to hear you guys liked it, it being our first one!!
yeah, just wait till you have to host a parade/feild comp. its super hectic. it was crazy this year for us because we hosted championships as well. it was great though :)

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

What are you playing for Festival

Post by JLGORMAN » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Festival Selections of Some of Texas top Bands All received straight 1 in Both Concert and Sightreading.

Ronald Reagan, San Antonio
Gallant Seventh Sousa
Salvation is Created Tschenoko
Polovetsian Dances Borodian

Winston Churchill, San Antonio
Pineapple Poll Sullivan
The Firebird Stravinsky
lRocky Point Holiday Nelson

Desoto
Blue Towers Fine
Romanian Folk Dances Bartok
Symphonies of Gata Orgen

Duncanville
March Hongroise Bellioz
Paris Sketches Ellerby
Johannesburg Festival Overture Walton

Richland
The World is waiting for the Sunrise Lockhart/Alford
Overture to Candide Bernstein
Symphony for Band Gould

LD Bell, Hurst
Easter Monday on the White House Lawn Sousa
Whatsoever Things Camaese
Symphony No. 2 Tichelli
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: What are you playing for Festival

Post by PGOK » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:24 am

I thought Texas Bands had to play a march. :?:
A couple of these band's didn't.
JLGORMAN wrote:Festival Selections of Some of Texas top Bands All received straight 1 in Both Concert and Sightreading.

Ronald Reagan, San Antonio
Gallant Seventh Sousa
Salvation is Created Tschenoko
Polovetsian Dances Borodian

Winston Churchill, San Antonio
Pineapple Poll Sullivan
The Firebird Stravinsky
lRocky Point Holiday Nelson

Desoto
Blue Towers Fine
Romanian Folk Dances Bartok
Symphonies of Gata Orgen

Duncanville
March Hongroise Bellioz
Paris Sketches Ellerby
Johannesburg Festival Overture Walton

Richland
The World is waiting for the Sunrise Lockhart/Alford
Overture to Candide Bernstein
Symphony for Band Gould

LD Bell, Hurst
Easter Monday on the White House Lawn Sousa
Whatsoever Things Camaese
Symphony No. 2 Tichelli
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

What Are You Playing for Festival

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:41 pm

In reply to not playing a March, here is what I found out.
winston churchill played the 1st Movement from Pineapple Poll which the UIL considered a March(listed on the Record as the first Movement). In the case of Desoto, they were given a waiver due to their performing at the BOA honors Concert Festival and choosing three heavy numbers for that event. Interestingly enough I was surprised to see the World is Waiting for the Sunrise being played. This is a old warhorse march from the 1920's. The Baritone part was a real bear. I had the opporunity to see the Michigan State University Wind Ensemble play this in concert.

A Band can get a waiver for the March Requirement(however the music must be harder, not easier than a march) and their must be specific reasons why this is requested. (IE Performance at an event that requilres three class 5 or 6 numbers).

IN regard to the March, most of the Bands this year choose Sousa or Karl King for their Marches. Fortunately only a couple of Bravura's on the schedule.

This year only 35 % of Bands competing received 1st division ratings in concert and the number in sightereading dropped to 30%. This will save the UIL a lot of Sweepstakes Band Trophies.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: What Are You Playing for Festival

Post by PGOK » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:11 pm

Thanks for the info. :D

I always find it interesting to learn about other state and region festivals. Pineapple Poll is kind of stretching things, don't you think? Since Texas A&M recorded World is Waiting... it wouldn't surprise me if you heard more bands playing it. Bravure in concert is not NEARLY as bad as playing it on the street. I'll need a ruling from Phantom, but I'm pretty sure the kittens are spared. :wink:
JLGORMAN wrote:In reply to not playing a March, here is what I found out.
winston churchill played the 1st Movement from Pineapple Poll which the UIL considered a March(listed on the Record as the first Movement). In the case of Desoto, they were given a waiver due to their performing at the BOA honors Concert Festival and choosing three heavy numbers for that event. Interestingly enough I was surprised to see the World is Waiting for the Sunrise being played. This is a old warhorse march from the 1920's. The Baritone part was a real bear. I had the opporunity to see the Michigan State University Wind Ensemble play this in concert.

A Band can get a waiver for the March Requirement(however the music must be harder, not easier than a march) and their must be specific reasons why this is requested. (IE Performance at an event that requilres three class 5 or 6 numbers).

IN regard to the March, most of the Bands this year choose Sousa or Karl King for their Marches. Fortunately only a couple of Bravura's on the schedule.

This year only 35 % of Bands competing received 1st division ratings in concert and the number in sightereading dropped to 30%. This will save the UIL a lot of Sweepstakes Band Trophies.

— Groucho Marx