The Standing Ovation

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Do you think the standing ovation is overused?

Yes
39%
No
39%
I haven't noticed anything
21%

Total votes: 33

Fondor1

The Standing Ovation

Post by Fondor1 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:40 am

I have noticed that at some concerts that I have attended recently, no matter what the performance is like, they still receive a standing ovation. I disagree with this policy. A standing ovation is something deserved; you don't do it just to "be polite". This is changing the whole meaning of a standing ovation. Now what happens when a performance really IS spectacular? You have nowhere to go save from jumping up and down and screaming. Is this idea spawning from political correctness? Do you have to make everyone feel like they did an equally good job? I find it rather embarrassing when parents give a standing ovation to my band when I know that the performance was less than spectacular.

DeganLicken

Post by DeganLicken » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:54 am

hey...we're in the same band
I'm very shifty...

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:10 pm

i don't think its overused. a performance may be bad (to the performers) but the audience will always appreciate the effort and dedication it takes to perform.

ricetaco
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ricetaco » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:34 pm

I just get tired of standing up so much. remember indianapolis...after almost every friggin song, jeez, i was trying to sleep.
"He's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... well, replace the word kinda with the word repeatedly, and the word dog, with son." -Mr. Hutz

LindzVartan

Post by LindzVartan » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:30 pm

Oh yeah it is. Like Monday, Ryan, when we saw the college band. lol...our whole band row had the only people not standing. I really think it's over-used.
~Lindsay~

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:01 pm

ricetaco wrote:I just get tired of standing up so much. remember indianapolis...after almost every friggin song, jeez, i was trying to sleep.
yea i think that was the only time it was over used...but mayn all those ovations after your solos were ferreal

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:08 pm

ricetaco wrote:
I just get tired of standing up so much. remember indianapolis...after almost every friggin song, jeez, i was trying to sleep.
how could you be trying to sleep?! indinappolis, the big concert festival right? i wouldnt want to sleep during that, wut school are you from?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:14 pm

Cole167888 wrote:
ricetaco wrote:
how could you be trying to sleep?! indinappolis, the big concert festival right? i wouldnt want to sleep during that, wut school are you from?
its a great experience but really tiring...some bands play really nice ballads but it just creates the perfect atmosphere for a nap.

ricetaco
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ricetaco » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:16 am

Mt. Carmel. The whole thing is really tiring, late lights out, early morning call times, plus sitting in the same place for 3 hours does it to you. The bands were good and everything, me sleeping through them in no way meant dissrespect. The best sleep i ever had was during the indianapolis symphony concert, and they're professionals.
"He's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... well, replace the word kinda with the word repeatedly, and the word dog, with son." -Mr. Hutz

skankinmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by skankinmello » Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:06 pm

I've never seen anyone give a standing ovation... and i never got one =( but if it really IS spectacular the audience could just break out in a riot or form a mosh pit heh how lame.
okay i've seen really proud parents and really retarded kids give standing ovations that just weren't needed...

::crosses arms and nods::
"Water isn't healthy, it doesn't have anything in it."

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleLova » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:01 pm

i dont think standing ovations are overused, so far everywhere i've been (guard shows), they've been used appropriately...once with my guard! i was so happy!! so i hope people aren't just standing up to be polite because when the audience stood up for us it mean't a lot to me and i dont want people standing up for us just to "be polite"...

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:09 am

I think that if the performance is good, than give it up. For my band one year, we got a standing ovation during the Company Front, because it brought a huge emotional burst to the audience. It was on of the greatest feelings ever.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:54 am

I do not feel that the "standing Ovation" is overused. If you ever go to World Championships and watch IW finals, you would be amazed at their abilities. However not all groups get a standing ovation. For instance the winner does not always get a standing ovation. I remember in 1999 Lassiter got a standing ovation like in the middle of their show. It was so awesome that people were standing for the last 30 seconds of their show. At awards everyone Boooed when they got 10th, It was followed by a quick standing ovation for the second time. Everyone loved their show that much that they felt it was neccessary to give them a second and only standing ovation at the finals ceremony.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by engineer » Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:25 am

Standing ovations are definitely not overused. Although after going to a bunch of guard shows this year I've seen so much more, primarily for James Logan, who better to deserve it. I have to say though, they've recieved a standing ovation after every performance this year, which is more than I can say for last year.

The audience gives it when it's deserved, not when it's not, because why the hell do it then. You'd be the only fool standing up and cheering like a dork if no one else didn't think the same. God would that be embarassing, ::pin drop::

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:33 am

I agree with Fondor.......as a professional actor/dancer/singer in New York and around the world, a standing ovation to me as a performer means the performance was above and beyond, there was a special emotional and psychological connection with the audience. If I do a run of a show for 4-6-8 weeks with 10 shows a week and I received a standing ovation for each of them then I know it's not real.........it's real when you simply can't sit any more as the emotions, the feelings are just too overwhelming.

In color guard, drum corps, etc. There have been moments when in the middle of a show I have to stand up and applaud - THAT is when the corps ( the music, the design, the colors, the energy from the corps as a whole and the individual members) reaches me. I would never for any performance just "give" a standing ovation - it DOES have to be earned and when it comes it means something very VERY special to the cast, the corps, the performer an an individual. Think of a standing ove as a $100 bill.......are you just going to throw them to every performance you see or to those that are truly amazing and spectacular?
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi