Students writing music...

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Hey PhantomPhan, loookin forward to hearing your symphony... it sounds interesting...

anyways... I have a mallet trio I just finished workin on.. its Bach's Sinfonia No. 3, could be played w/three marimbas, or two marimba and a xylo (one marimba has to be at least a 4.3, and if you have access to a 5 oct lemme kno and I'll send you the alternate arrangment)

alright..

Email or IM me for more info... If you do choose to play the peice I only ask you send me a recording of the performance :)
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:31 am

Phantom Phan wrote:Updating my post from September, after taking a three to four month break, I started working on the eighth movement on Monday. I've got about two minutes of it done so far (again, it's coming forth fairly easily after such a rest). It's a moderato in 3/4 in e minor... it starts off with a little pseudo-waltz before degenerating into kind of an awkward series of eighth-note arpeggios (clarinets and violins: E down to G up to B, G-B again, up to D; then countered by french horns and cellos in the low register with D# down to C down to G#, C-G# again, down to F-natural... not sure where I'm progressing with it :? , but I like the sound of it so far).

I've also settled on a name for the overall symphony: "Past, Present and Future"

Anyway... :roll:
Finally finished the work. I noted with amusement after I was done that the symphony took me exactly one year, one month, one week and one day to compose. :)

SYMPHONY #4 "Past, Present and Future"
I. "Jester" (Vivace) ........................ 2:21 ( 2:21)
II. "Fog" (Adagio) ........................... 6:03 ( 8:24)
III. "Coliseum" (Allegro barbaro) ...... 3:58 (12:22)
IV. "Dimanche" (Allegretto) ............. 5:13 (17:35)
V. "Intrepid" (Andante) .................. 6:36 (24:11)
VI. "Martians" (Presto) .................... 2:52 (27:03)
VII. "Squire" (Lento) ........................ 5:25 (32:28)
VIII. "Clocks" (Moderato) .................. 4:28 (36:56)
IX. "Cortege" (Grave) ..................... 6:38 (43:34)
X. "Perilous" .................................. 2:45 (46:19 total)

(03/10/04 - 04/18/05)

lord hornblower
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lord hornblower » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:29 pm

I am currently writing/attempting to write a tune for a jazz quintet (Piano, Drums, Bass, Trumpet,Guitar). I understand enough theory to start, but that's my problem: how do i start? do i write a bass line and then write the chord changes over the bass line? or do i do the opposite of that?

HELP!

thanks much.

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EMT-911 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:04 pm

My sister was only a senior and she was the director of the concert band and She wrote and arranged all of their pieces, including Harry Potter.....that was cool. She now is getting her music major in Portland, Oregon
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:29 am

lord hornblower wrote:I am currently writing/attempting to write a tune for a jazz quintet (Piano, Drums, Bass, Trumpet,Guitar). I understand enough theory to start, but that's my problem: how do i start? do i write a bass line and then write the chord changes over the bass line? or do i do the opposite of that?
The answer is... whichever you prefer!

Seriously, sometimes I start composing with only a melody in my head and create the accompaniment around it; sometimes I start with only a nice rhythm or chord progression in my head and have to find a melody that will work with it.

Generally, having a vague idea of how you want the chords to progress will usually make everything else easier, so I'd at least jot down the chord progression on notepaper or something first.