How did you guys do in Festival?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

How did you guys do in Festival?

Post by lowbrass89 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:55 am

Hey i know that festivals arent over yet but for those of you that already attended some I just wanted to know what yuo guys get as a rating. I hope you guys did great and good luck to those bands that still have or will do more festivals later on. I know we will be going to regionals for the 1st time in a long time so our festivals arent over yet.
We got 3 Superiors from all 3 judges for Wind Ensamle
our Symphonic band got 2 Exelents and a superior from the 3 judges.

xWMSxGrLx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xWMSxGrLx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:09 pm

I feel bad that we did worse than last year.

2 excellant and....... a good. oh yeah and excellant in sight reading. Which I am HORRIBLE AT. Thank god he didn't notice me on Bells.
Last edited by xWMSxGrLx on Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baritone/Euphonium
2006 - "Rise Of Samurai" - Bass drum - caption :]
2006- "Oh, What a World" - WG
2007- JV WG- "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:40 pm

So far for Westlake (we still have more festivals to go to):

String Orchestra: Superior (I, I, II, II (sightreading))
Wind Ensemble: Unanimous Superior (I, I, I, no sightreading)
Wind Symphony: Excellent (I, II, II, I (sightreading))

Studio Jazz Ensemble: Excellent

Still one more concert festival to go to in which our Symphonic Band will get their first shot for this year, the Wind Symphony will probably do better (they did better at the second festival last year), and the Symphony Orchestra will premere.

Lots more jazz festivals that both our Studio and Lab bands will attend and hopefully get better with each performance.

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:35 pm

at our district festival, all of our groups got superiors: wind ensemble I, wind ensemble II, and our orchestra.

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vmbronco » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:19 pm

we had festival on friday and we recieved 2 superior ratings + 1 excellent ratings = Superior, and a Superior in Sight-Reading.
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

lowbrass89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lowbrass89 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:51 am

this year we had no sightreading

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

How did you do at Festival

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:02 pm

At the 1st UIL Concert Festival this spring (Region 2 north) 8 out of 24 Bands Got 1st Division(1) ratings in Concert and Sight reading. Most of these Bands were from small schools A, AA with only 5 AAA and AAAA Bands. Only AAAA Band to get a Sweepstakes Award was Rider High of Wichita Falls.

Their Selections were Beowulf(McBeth)
Festival prelude (Reed)
Stars and Stripes Forever(Sousa/hindsley)

Yes, In Texas one of the three numbers must be a March.

Top AA Band was Holiday High School

Selections The Golden Ear (San Miguel/Walters
Sea Songs (Vaughn Williams)
Incantation and Dance (Chance)

Most Regions will not conduct their Festivals until the 1st Week in April. Results of the Big AAAAA Bands will be passed on with their selection.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:25 pm

we don't go to concert festivals until late april. we're going to one in fresno, and the ncba one wherever that is.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:48 pm

w00t, i just got home from festival at Sierra Vista HS. Here's the breakdown.

Our lower band, concert band, pretty much got excellents across the board, except for sight reading, where a notoriously inattentive percussionist is still being torn apart for not catching the ending and netted them a good.

Symphonic band, one of the groups im in, got excellent in prepared, and superior in sight reading.

Wind Ensemble, our top band, and one of the groups im in as well, we netted a unanimous superior!!! In addition, they unfortunately had only one sight reading piece for the class below us, which we had already played with symphonic band. So we had to play in class, and though our sight reading was barely more than satisfactory (to me at least), we managed to impress the judge a lot, enough to land us a superior there as well

Our orchestras go on thursday. I'm kinda nervous, since both of our orchestras are pretty inconsistent in our playing quality (one week we have our director mouthing "wow" to us, the next he's shaking his head at the first notes we play), so you can see where that nervousness comes from.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:36 pm

I should have searched for you! I was working as a Student Guide that night. But at least I heard the Wind Ensemble.

OUTSTANDING!!! You guys were awesome.

...unless you saw me. I had glasses, a squished-down 'fro, black T-shirt, grey tie, black jacket, brown-ish Dockers, and white K-Swiss shoes. If you saw him, you saw me. :)

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:02 pm

Results from latest festival:

Symphonic Band: Excellent (II, II, II, I (sightreading))
Wind Symphony: Superior (I, II, I, I (sightreading))
Wind Ensemble: Unanimous Superior (I, I, I, I (sightreading))
Symphony Orchestra: Superior (I, I, II, I (sightreading))

clarinet_j
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by clarinet_j » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:44 pm

Jakob der ludner wrote:Wind Ensemble, our top band, and one of the groups im in as well, we netted a unanimous superior!!! In addition, they unfortunately had only one sight reading piece for the class below us, which we had already played with symphonic band. So we had to play in class, and though our sight reading was barely more than satisfactory (to me at least), we managed to impress the judge a lot, enough to land us a superior there as well
I saw your W.E. You guys were just superb, in both your performance and in your sight-reading (I was the girl in the corner of the room with the gray jacket, although I'm sure I was too quiet to be noticed). "Barely more than satisfactory"??? Stop being so modest. :P Great job!

I know that Sierra Vista's Symphonic Band got Excellent/Good last night. The Wind Ensemble (the group I'm in) will be performing tonight. My last hs festival performance, ever. :cry: We'll see how that goes! Good luck to me and G, and to the rest of the bands at festival!

Zot Zot Zot!!!
05- ~*Completely Insane Anteater Band*("The Sound of The O.C.")
01-05~*Sierra Vista Marching Dons*

Clarinet 5 of 2005 <3

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:53 pm

SVHS Wind Ensemble:

Excellent/Excellent

:)

clarinet_j
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by clarinet_j » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:26 pm

BariSx_G wrote:SVHS Wind Ensemble:

Excellent/Excellent

:)
I'm so proud of us!

Zot Zot Zot!!!
05- ~*Completely Insane Anteater Band*("The Sound of The O.C.")
01-05~*Sierra Vista Marching Dons*

Clarinet 5 of 2005 <3

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:53 pm

clarinet_j wrote: "Barely more than satisfactory"??? Stop being so modest. :P Great job!
Haha, I meant my part. I'm such an embarassment compared to the rest of my section (or the rest of my band for that matter). I missed half the meter changes, accidentals, and articulations. But still, that was one of the most exhilirating sight reading experiences I've had ^^;;. Of course sight reading stuff everyday kinda helps....

oh and btw, i was the fat clarinet sitting on the judge's side of the second row, playing the 2nd clarinet part out of tune, in case you guys wanted to know.

I heard SVHS Wind Ensemble, and I thought you guys did a pretty good job. Too bad I got ushered out by our band director into warm up before i could hear your last song.

Ah well, our orchestras played ok yesterday i guess. The strings and symphony both got excellents, but low ones though. Two judges gave us low excellents and the other gave us a middle good. We just need to work on intonation and accuracy of rhythm a LOT. Interestingly, both those areas were fine earlier in the year.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07