What do you think of Eric Whitacre?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

EMT-911
Veteran
Veteran

What do you think of Eric Whitacre?

Post by EMT-911 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:55 pm

What do you think of Eric Whitacre and his music??

if you haven't heard of him, go here

www.ericwhitacre.com
WEST HILLS HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI
~High Above, the river valley...~

Paloma Valley High School brass and marching advisor

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:28 pm

Eric Whitacre is amazing! It is my biggest dream to get to meet him...
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

bgirl781
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by bgirl781 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:20 am

He's a great composer. He and Frank Ticheli are my favorites. What'll be really cool is that our wind ensemble may possibly go to an Eric Whitacre festival in Australia (at the Sydney Opera House) summer 2006. I really really really hope we do, because that would be so amazing! :D (even with a $4500 price tag... :shock: )
I'm a yellow duck.

Quack!

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:34 pm

I <3 Eric Whitacre.

In relation to bgirl781's post, I've gotten an opportunity to perform at the Sydney Opera House, and it's amazing. I love that place. Hope you get to experience it.

kristiie

Post by kristiie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:58 pm

october is one of my favorite pieces of all time.

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:47 pm

hate 'em
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:04 pm

All his stuff for band sounds the same. Great writer for choral works, but he's guilty like Holsinger (Ballet Sacra vs. To Tame the Perilous Skies) and Ticheli (Amazing Grace vs. Shenedoah) of simply rewriting things that made him popular. If you don't agree, listen to Sleep and then Lux Arumque (sp?), and tell me those don't sound the same.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:48 pm

Poor planning on his website...

You open one window and hear rain. You click to hear an MP3 of his music. A new window opens and the rain doesn't stop. I thought it was a scratchy record at first, but this music has probably never been on black vinyl!

The music is nice.

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:01 am

Poor planning on his website...

You open one window and hear rain. You click to hear an MP3 of his music. A new window opens and the rain doesn't stop. I thought it was a scratchy record at first, but this music has probably never been on black vinyl!

The music is nice.
You can turn the rain sound off on the web site...

In recent Eric Whitacre news...the VPHS band played October at the concert tonight. Sadly it was not as good as the recording on his MySpace.
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:38 pm

MalleTragic wrote:You can turn the rain sound off on the web site...
Duh! As a creator of websites for other people besides myself I try to steer away from popups and extraneous noises.

At least I warned those who go to his site that the rain is not record scratches.

:lol:

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:40 pm

someguywhodoesthings wrote:All his stuff for band sounds the same. Great writer for choral works, but he's guilty like Holsinger (Ballet Sacra vs. To Tame the Perilous Skies) and Ticheli (Amazing Grace vs. Shenedoah) of simply rewriting things that made him popular. If you don't agree, listen to Sleep and then Lux Arumque (sp?), and tell me those don't sound the same.
my god they are the same song!!! haha, nice catch, i personally like some of his works, but i would have to agree that alot of his stuff sounds the same

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:41 pm

My wife for a time before the onslaught of pregnancy and childbirth and the trauma that goes with it was actually a professional paid performer with both the Pacific Chorale and John Alexander Singers based out of the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Good old Eric was the resident composer for the PC, and he sort of knew my wife from earlier meetings. One night, after a performance, I had the chance to meet Eric. Of course, my lovely bride, said "This is my band geek husband, Ryan. He writes field shows for marching bands." Geeeeeee thanks dear. Let's not forget I'm also a crappy trombone player and I snore.

But I digress.

So I shake his hand, and in keeping with said geekiness, I said jovially, "An honor to meet you. You're a pretty popular composer in the band and drum and bugle corps world, you know." And his eyes got sort of big, and he said "Oh really." And I said, "Yeah...Spirit is doing Ghost Train, and October seems to be a hit. Were you aware of your popularity with band geeks like myself in the marching world?" He said he was getting to "understand" that popularity.

Great guy. KNOCK OUT WIFE!!!!!!!! I mean, she's very nice.

Yeah.

Whatever.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:31 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:My wife for a time before the onslaught of pregnancy and childbirth and the trauma that goes with it was actually a professional paid performer with both the Pacific Chorale and John Alexander Singers based out of the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Good old Eric was the resident composer for the PC, and he sort of knew my wife from earlier meetings. One night, after a performance, I had the chance to meet Eric. Of course, my lovely bride, said "This is my band geek husband, Ryan. He writes field shows for marching bands." Geeeeeee thanks dear. Let's not forget I'm also a crappy trombone player and I snore.

But I digress.

So I shake his hand, and in keeping with said geekiness, I said jovially, "An honor to meet you. You're a pretty popular composer in the band and drum and bugle corps world, you know." And his eyes got sort of big, and he said "Oh really." And I said, "Yeah...Spirit is doing Ghost Train, and October seems to be a hit. Were you aware of your popularity with band geeks like myself in the marching world?" He said he was getting to "understand" that popularity.

Great guy. KNOCK OUT WIFE!!!!!!!! I mean, she's very nice.

Yeah.

Whatever.

:shock: :shock:

(that was in reference to ryan's post hehe)

anyways Eric Whitacre.. yes... love the guy.. man to bad he's married. he's hot... I'd uh... yea.. :-p

he has a myspace!!!
http://myspace.com/ericwhitacre

anyways yea I'd love to meet him if I can... ahhh.... such awesome music...
:-D
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote: So I shake his hand, and in keeping with said geekiness, I said jovially, "An honor to meet you. You're a pretty popular composer in the band and drum and bugle corps world, you know." And his eyes got sort of big, and he said "Oh really." And I said, "Yeah...Spirit is doing Ghost Train, and October seems to be a hit. Were you aware of your popularity with band geeks like myself in the marching world?" He said he was getting to "understand" that popularity.

Whatever.
I had a little incident with him on his web site. I was asking questions about a very poorly designed tremelo and what he would think about adding vibraphone to the piece. You would think I'd said I've crossed his name out and inserted my own. He went into a tirade about how his pieces are not "arrangements" to be toyed with. If I was not going to play them as written. he'd rather I not play them at all. Again, that was just a question. I'm glad I didn't mention I have a muted cornet playing the oboe solo. :twisted: Since I paid (overpaid?) $90.00 for the one page piece, with no folder wrapped around it, I'm going to play it for festival. However, I never plan on using his music ever again.

What do I think of him? he's an egotistical jerk.

There's my, say. Let the attacks on me begin.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:57 pm

I must say that I can't blame him for taking that attitude. He pours his sweat and blood for days, weeks, and months into a piece, and I think it's more than fair that he wants his work to be respected. By adding or changing an instrument, you are re-orchestrating what he has done- altering his creative vision. A piece of music isn't just some petty thing, it is a fragile work of art that deserves the utmost respect.

On one hand, you're right that the conductor has some leeway in making the piece their own, but on the other hand, it's not really that outrageous of him to say. How do you think Beethoven would react if he found out that some people had altered his timpani parts (not just changing dynamics, but actually adding additional notes or changing notes)?

EDIT: By no means do I mean this as a question of your legitimacy as a conductor or creative force. My reference above about the Beethoven timpani parts is true- timpani parts have been edited, and by highly respected people such as Lorin Maazel (NY Phil).

Anyways, that's just my two cents. Are you talking about October? If you are, I'm assuming that the tremolo you refer to is the one in the clarinet part that goes over the break.
Last edited by MalleTragic on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.