Pit Orchestras

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Pit Orchestras

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:18 am

I really couldn't think of anywhere else to put this stuff.

Have you guys ever played in a pit orchestra, what shows, how was it for you?

My first show was 42nd street and it was fine... I was nervous since it was my first show in the pit, and since percussion stands and it's a tap show, so I alwyas felt paranoid that I was in the way of something that was going on behind me.
I'm starting hell week for Evita today...the percussion is a little bit insane, but everyone sounds great. I'm looking forward to the show.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

musiclife
Rookie
Rookie

Post by musiclife » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:57 am

i quit my first time in a pit orchestra. it was way too much stuff for me in one week becuz of honor band rehearsals and lessons. but i dont regret it becuz the people in it sucked ass.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:11 pm

well i haven't like been in a real one, but our school does musicals each year, and last year i filled in for my friend for 42nd street, and this year it's Sweet Charity, and it's really fun. we're just getting started tho.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:33 pm

It wasn't really much of a pit orchestra, but I played in an ensemble for our school's production of Bye, Bye, Birdie two years ago. It was a lot of fun. Ever since then, I've been wanting to do it again, but there hasn't been the opportunity.

JonnyRad7
New Recruit
New Recruit

So much fun.

Post by JonnyRad7 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:14 pm

last year i wanted to play in the pit orchestra for our schools production of Singing In The Rain, but school work got in the way. but this year i am going to be in the pit orchestra for our schools production of Chrous Line. There is a lot of music but it is fun so far.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: So much fun.

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:46 pm

JonnyRad7 wrote:last year i wanted to play in the pit orchestra for our schools production of Singing In The Rain, but school work got in the way. but this year i am going to be in the pit orchestra for our schools production of Chrous Line. There is a lot of music but it is fun so far.
mm our school did chorus line freshman year, i so wish i did that one
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

copycat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by copycat » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:57 pm

last year: Annie get your gun, playing oboe.
this year: How to Succeed in business without really trying, playing oboe again.

so want to play percussion or flute! :twisted:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 am

I played in a pit orchestra at Copper Hills High School in West Jordan, UT. That was about 4 years ago. The production was "Oklahoma." I loved the music and the play (though I never really got to see, except on video). We had a fantastic orch. teacher and Drama teacher. It was one of the better High School productions IMO. It was my first time working with the orch teacher (we had a seperate orchestra and band teacher). Anyhow I played drumset, and one other percussion played all the toys, etc. The best part about doing musicals is that you can sit back and read a book half the time. It was a very good experience.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:32 pm

We did West Side Story two years ago. OH MAN! It was the best!

kristiie

Post by kristiie » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:00 pm

we're doing the wiz this year. the arent a lot of part for clarinet so it's kind of eh for me.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Having played in a professional pit orchestra, it was very different than what I did for high school musicals... In high school, we rehearsed the music until we couldn't stand it anymore. When I played for professional musical plays (summer stock in rural New Jersey), we had one rehearsal and the music was handed to us at that time. That first rehearsal didn't always sound so good, but it sounded a lot better than some of the over rehearsed shows I did in high school. By the way, depending on when the show was put together, has a lot to do with how the tuba is used in the show. If you are playing a Rodgers and Hart show (from the 1920s), like A Connecticut Yankee, the tuba part is strictly a rhythmic bass part. In My Fair Lady, the tuba doubles on string bass--he plays both instruments. In some of the shows the tuba doubles bass trombone--he plays both tuba and bone. In a few, the tuba plays only a few notes. Some show producers explain that the tuba blocks the view of the front row. While one might think that putting the tuba on its side would help, that actually distorts the sound, plus it also makes things uncomfortable for those sitting around the tuba player. There is usually no extra space in the pit for anything, except maybe a bottle of water.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:30 pm

Pit is a lot of fun. I've played in Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, Gypsy and Sweet Charity. Of those, Sweet Charity was my favorite to play in the pit.

As a conductor I have done Guys and Dolls, and we are currently working on Hello Dolly.

I would love to conduct Jesus Christ Superstar, Les Miserables (OK, student version), Camelot or 1776.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Boninetax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Boninetax » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:06 pm

I played sax and clarinet in my school's production of L'il Abner last year. I was nervous at first, then I realized that no matter what, the audience doesn't see you and besides they'e probably more interested in what's goin on onstage. I really enjoyed it. It was such an experience. We were all smushed together. There were like 25 or so of us and it was pretty tight. The play was really good and the music was really fun to play, though.
Huzzah!!!

xswtxchiqx

Post by xswtxchiqx » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:14 pm

I've played in "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" and "Beauty and the Beast (Broadway Version)". I love pit!.. but it was really cramped. haha.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:55 pm

PGOK wrote:Les Miserables (OK, student version)
OMG! I saw the on broadway last week when I was in NY and it was sooooo amazing!!! I love it!
Soldiering On!