Ever have on of those AHHH moments?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:47 pm

We played Pines of Rome in youth orchestra last year...every time we played it, I got chills from different moments in all but the first movement:
Pines Near a Catacomb: the moment where everything has built up to the huge trombone soli
Pines of the Janiculum: the entire movement...just so wonderful. clarinet was made for these stuffs.
Pines of the Appian Way: The end was just an audiogasm to say the least... the sound was massive, and it was absolutely wonderful.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

armysax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by armysax » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Pines of Rome is pretty mature for a youth orchestra. How did you all pull it off? As a future conductor/band director getting a young orchestra to play can be pretty tough. How did you guys do it?
In time you will learn to call me master.

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:52 pm

well thank you, I'll take that as a compliment. we have a really great conductor, I'm so glad to play under his baton, and we have musicians from Pacific Symphony lead sectionals. The musicians are very strong players as well, and they're (we're) very dedicated to the art. *By the way, the orchestra is Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra*
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Ah yes... Pines of Rome. My third or fourth favorite piece we've played in Orchestra. Although. I love Festive Overture when the cellos and the lower strings have the melody and they just dig into their instruments. Polovetsian Dances is another favorite. I love playing it, especially when we (low brass) get to play ff and above. But definitely Pines of Rome, last movement from when the antiphonal trumpets come in until the last note. Nothing like that wall of sound.