Anxiety attacks

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

LiL BiT

Anxiety attacks

Post by LiL BiT » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:57 pm

If anyone can help please do...
Yesterday right after I preformed with Armijo I couldn't breathe at all. I ran outside and sat down but nothing helped. A firefighter pulled me up on a truck bed in the shade and finally got my to calm down and breathe somewhat normal.
Last night a few hours after the show I went to the waterfront in Suisun with my boyfriend and I was walking and then all of the sudden I couldn't breathe.
2 hours after that I was sittin in my boyfriends room while he and his mom were talking next to me and it started again, but this time my legs were going numb and I would stop breathing all together for short periosd of time and then gasp for air. My boyfriend took my to ER in Vallejo. When I was in the waiting room it was still going on and half way through the medical screening. Towards the end of my screening I got to feeling a lot better but they still wanted me to go into ER just to make sure everything was ok.
The doctor did an EKG made me pee in a cup and did a chest x-ray and everything turned out "ok". They gave me no answers to anything when I was in there, all they told me was that I had an anxiety attack and that they wanted me to see my doctor soon so that if needed they could put me on prozact to calm me down.
Has this ever haapened to anyone? Does anyone know what I can do instead for going on prozact?
Audrey
Armijo ColorGuard
I.D. Captain '02 03

Puck
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Puck » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:24 pm

My mom gets anxiety attacks when she drives on the freeway. I took a crapload of psychology classes, but I forgot what initially causes them. I would go to a psychologist and see what they tell you. People are often quick to prescribe drugs, but that makes me so uneasy, drugs are not the answer mmmmmkay? If you know what environment causes your anxiety attacks, you can actually change your behavior so you won't have them anymore.
http://www.wginsider.com/
Visit WGInsider.com for the latest WGI Rankings and more!

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves." ~Will Durant

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:22 pm

Ick, anxiety attacks bite. I should know. :?

Anxiety is supposed to be a response to a threat or danger, especially phobia's (i.e. spiders, large crowds, etc). Or something resurfacing that you had repressed. Gah ... there are some many 'supposed' reasons that sometimes it can be hard to pin down your exact cause.

Please keep in min that medications work to mask the anxiety, but doesn't cure it. You have to get to know your symptoms or signs so you'll know when one is approaching. And, this is really important, try not to panic. Panicing makes it even worse. You need to try to think, and breath!!
Hm ... breath is a weird word. Breath, breathe - they love to confuse people. :roll:
World Of Pageantry Champion!

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:16 pm

Prozac is for depression. Prozac makes you happy!
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

well

Post by Cole167888 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:17 pm

I've had my fair share of those bits. Lets see...the most recent was on the plane going home from Washington DC on the 8th grade trip. It wasn't going very good, my friend was flirting with my ex girlfriend and it was driving me insane. Then I had to pee...but it was turbulence and we couldnt get up. It continued and 3 hours later I began to hyperventalate and my legs and arms and lips went numb. I finally busted out of my seat sprinted to the bathroom and had the most satisfying moments of my life...but thats besides the point. It took me the rest of the ride home to calm down..it was terrible, you really can't control it...once you get into it its like you keep digging yourself deeper worrying about stopping it. I would recommend...laying down and thinking about something else. But thats very weird that it came unprovoked..were you stressing about your performance?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."