Professional Recordings: Mp3's, Wav's... ?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Rebel

Professional Recordings: Mp3's, Wav's... ?

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:49 pm

Does anybody know of any sites you can go to and download professional recordings of typical high school concert pieces? I've searched a bit and the only results I ever get are low-quality, unbalanced, harsh-toned high school and middle school 'recordings;' which is a shame since most of the pieces are truly brilliant when perfected. I'm looking mainly for 'popular' pieces by (but not limited to): Ticheli, Holsinger, Swearingen (eventhough some directors considder this a swear word)... etc. Actually, just got done downloading from http://www.mdhsmusic.com/repertoire.html (Amazing Grace, great rendition), and it sounds professional, hope the rest are too. Any info would help, thanks.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Professional Recordings: Mp3's, Wav's... ?

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:05 pm

Rebel wrote:Does anybody know of any sites you can go to and download professional recordings of typical high school concert pieces? I've searched a bit and the only results I ever get are low-quality, unbalanced, harsh-toned high school and middle school 'recordings;' which is a shame since most of the pieces are truly brilliant when perfected. I'm looking mainly for 'popular' pieces by (but not limited to): Ticheli, Holsinger, Swearingen (eventhough some directors considder this a swear word)... etc. Actually, just got done downloading from http://www.mdhsmusic.com/repertoire.html (Amazing Grace, great rendition), and it sounds professional, hope the rest are too. Any info would help, thanks.
For Ticheli, try Manhattan Beach Music, they publish a bunch of Ticheli stuff and have MP3s of all the stuff they publish.
I would try looking for other publisher's websites, as they sometimes have sound files of the stuff they publish. For example, Sierra Music has Real Audio files of some of their pieces (jazz stuff, though, probably not what your are looking for). It's not as good quality as MP3s, but it's better than nothing.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:42 am

You can try downloading Kazaa or Grokster. They are downlou can find pretty high quality pieces performed by real orchestras, and professional concert bands. Go to Kazaa.com, and start downloading.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:04 pm

Personal wrote:You can try downloading Kazaa or Grokster. They are downlou can find pretty high quality pieces performed by real orchestras, and professional concert bands. Go to Kazaa.com, and start downloading.
I was suggesting a bit more legitmate sources first, but of course that's always and option. :wink:

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:16 am

LovableSheep wrote:
Personal wrote:You can try downloading Kazaa or Grokster. They are downlou can find pretty high quality pieces performed by real orchestras, and professional concert bands. Go to Kazaa.com, and start downloading.
I was suggesting a bit more legitmate sources first, but of course that's always and option. :wink:
go buy the cd's

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:10 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LovableSheep wrote:
Personal wrote:
You can try downloading Kazaa or Grokster. They are downlou can find pretty high quality pieces performed by real orchestras, and professional concert bands. Go to Kazaa.com, and start downloading.

I was suggesting a bit more legitmate sources first, but of course that's always and option.

go buy the cd's
I wholeheartedly agree. Feed the musicians that produce them, because one day you might become one.
http://www.westcoastmusicservice.com has tons of CDs pertaining to the band world. You can also try http://www.markcustom.com.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:57 am

Sorry, I don't have a CD Burner, so I have no choice but to buy the CD's. I was just giving an option. Your right though, if I become a professional musician, I would want people to pay me for my stuff.

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:54 pm

I think that actually supporting the musicians is better, too, and and that's why I suggested going to publisher's sites first. Besides offering music files, some also let you buy CDs with stuff on them, and I would recommend that over file sharing programs.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:55 am

I would have to suggest that you go out and support those that have put out the CD's. Plus a lot of times the CD's will sound better.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:52 pm

Cd's are pretty good, most of the time. I mean, the great thing is the sound quality, how rich and clear it is...yet, the bad thing too is the sound quality, how rich and clear it is! I think those of you who may have made CD recordings know what I mean.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:57 am

See, I prefer the rich clear sound. To not have that would bug the heck out of me.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:38 am

i wish i can just choose certain songs i want and burn em all onto one cd and pay for it. i hate downloading music sound quality sucks! and i also noticed alot of schools post their recorded music on their website. unfortunately sometimes the sound comes from video camera recordings and things like that. also the schools post their mp3s in really low bitrates such as 64kbbps. microsoft says that's 'cd quality' but it's not. come on we're all band people we should be able to notice higher quallity in 160kbps+.

but in the end most sites dont offer high bitrate music.... the only way you'll ever get high quality music if u just buy the cd.

technically we are alowed to burn cds that are your property as backup. so get a bunch of people pitch in money go buy A cd and make copies of it for each other. after all it will be your (group) property so it's ok to make many versions of it as long as it stays within the group.

i like napster and all those programs back in the day. where else do u get a chance to dl mp3s of your high school field show, other high school field shows and stuff like that (I <3 RIAA)

sorry if i posted to a topic 8 months old

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:49 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:i wish i can just choose certain songs i want and burn em all onto one cd and pay for it. i hate downloading music sound quality sucks! and i also noticed alot of schools post their recorded music on their website. unfortunately sometimes the sound comes from video camera recordings and things like that. also the schools post their mp3s in really low bitrates such as 64kbbps. microsoft says that's 'cd quality' but it's not. come on we're all band people we should be able to notice higher quallity in 160kbps+.

but in the end most sites dont offer high bitrate music.... the only way you'll ever get high quality music if u just buy the cd.

technically we are alowed to burn cds that are your property as backup. so get a bunch of people pitch in money go buy A cd and make copies of it for each other. after all it will be your (group) property so it's ok to make many versions of it as long as it stays within the group.

i like napster and all those programs back in the day. where else do u get a chance to dl mp3s of your high school field show, other high school field shows and stuff like that (I <3 RIAA)

sorry if i posted to a topic 8 months old
I agree. The quality of most band stuff you find is so bad and it's hard to find them most of the time.