DCI announcement

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

DCI announcement

Post by SoCalSpinN » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:15 pm

I know many local high schools have been using electronic amplification for their pit, and in many cases, soloists and guitars, and electronic basses.

DCI just recently has voted to allow the front sideline to be plugged in.

I think it was a bad move by DCI. Allowing amplification would push marching prices up and spread the gap between richer powerhouse corps and the not so rich. It's like racing a razor scooter against a moped.

Powered against unpowered.

Thoughts?
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:36 pm

Wow DCI is making some bad choices. I think that not allowing corps to plug in was one of the best rules. It promoted an all natural sound that can no be duplicated by synthesizers and guitars. The sound of pure brass!!!!!!!!!! what has the world come to.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:43 pm

Are you sure? This doesn't sound like something that would ever pass a formal vote. I checked the DCI website and didn't see any mention of it...

I for one am completely against powered/amplified/synthisized pits. Too often its used to fill or even cover the hornline. Now, you can argue that in high school shows, it allows for more musical solos by woodwinds and softer instruments... but in drum corps? I don't know if the judges are just hard of hearing but isn't it loud enough already? I don't know how many of you have been to DCI finals but the volumes already achieved are astounding... do we really need to hear crappy synth music over it all?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:41 am

DCI passed a rule allowing AMPLIFICATION of pit instruments and the human voice (singing/narration) starting in 2004. Synthesizers and electric guitars are still not allowed.

http://www.dci.org/news/announce/item.p ... 4107350832

And yes, while George Hopkins came up with the idea and proposed it to DCI, please remember that no rules in DCI get passed by one man. Take a look at all the corps that support amplification. You might be surprised.

How they voted
Amplification
Dave Gibbs (Blue Devils): Yes
Mark Arnold (Blue Knight): Yes
Bill Hamilton (Bluecoats): No
Howard Weinstein (Boston Crusaders): Yes
George Hopkins (The Cadets): Yes
Kevin Smith (Carolina Crown): Yes
Jeff Fiedler (The Cavaliers): No
Greg Orwoll (Colts): No
Dean Musson (The Crossmen): Yes
Brian Hickman (Glassmen): Yes
Doug Darwin (Kiwanis Kavaliers): Yes
Sal Salas (Madison Scouts): No
Pat Seidling (Phantom Regiment): Yes
John Hines (Pioneer): No
Rick Valenzuela (Santa Clara Vanguard): Yes
Mike Loeffelholz (Southwind): No
Matthew Krum (Troopers): No
Steve Auditore (at-large): Yes
Mike Kehoss (at-large): No
Tom Yorton (at-large): Yes

Personally, I think Jeff Fiedler summed it up best when he said (paraphrasing): "It's not needed; OUR members are taught how to play to project."

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:28 am

Ugh... I just got a sick feeling in my stomache... this is going to fundamentally change the way corps do business, and I fear that this will give the corps with the deepest pockets an even bigger advantage.

This is a sad day in DCI history...

Next thing you know, the hornline and guard will be background stage effects to the Saturday Night Live-style sideline band. Woodwinds will soon be allowed as "pit" instruments, synth will be allowed... scratch that, encouraged and our activity as we know it will be gone forever. The "Pandora's Box" has been opened.

The limitations in "Drum and Bugle Corps" is exactly what makes it so special. DCI wants to encourage growth and participation in our activity? Then stop discouraging Senior Corps. Stop limiting the number of corps that can perform at a show. Start offering DCI Regionals and Championships on Pay-Per-View... if crappy dog shows can make money that way then surely DCI can!

To qoute Jeff Fiedler again, "I think it goes against the basic nature of our activity. We don’t need it..."

NavyHubby01
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Now stuck in the middle of CA! In Lemoore of all places!

Post by NavyHubby01 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:11 am

Man, amping out a corps! DCI must have lost their collective minds. I agree, DCI doesn't need it. Then again there's the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rulkes. Amping marching bands is Ok and I'll even say Ok to the amping out styles of Good Old RCC (Except the vocals of 95 and on; sorry it's just my opinion), but Corps dont need the power. Change is a constant. So we will all have to find out when the time gets here to se how well that decision was made.
Thanks you for your time,

NavyHubby01, Everett

Eyes on the west from the east and missing home!
87-91 Pomona HS Marching Band (Pomona, Ca.)
92 Sound Machine (Street Only)
93 & 94 RCC Marching Tigers
95-97 Etiwanda HS Visual Tech
99-02 Ayala HS Visual Tech
2010- Freelancers Mini Corps
Go Navy!!!

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:40 am

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the "powered" pits that are going to be rolling out soon in DCI...

This is hard for me to admit... but I think this has ruined drum corps for me. One of the main reasons that I first fell in love with DCI was the amazing precision and the amount of work and talent it takes to pump out that volume ( and quality ) of sound. We all know what speakers sound like... we hear them everywhere we go. Music came from the musician, through their instrument and to our ears... now it goes through a soundboard and then through speakers. We all know the next step is electronic keyboards, then guitars and then woodwinds. Whats next? Contras with microphones so that they can solo over a hornline at fortissimo? On the upcoming DVD's, are we going to pipe the powered pit in on a different channel and allow corps to do post-production on thier pit?

I'll check out a couple shows here locally and if a majority of corps are going to start using speakers then I'm going to walk away... sad, dejected... and stop watching and supporting the drum corps activity...

crazymoflo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crazymoflo » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:39 pm

Personally I think that most of the corps who voted "yes" are too proud to use amplification. I have a shirt that says *Glassmen Un-Plugged* and with any luck, I won't have to burn it. =)

The only problem I have with amping is that it was passed in the name of smaller corps...corps who can barely afford a full summer tour, much less the equipment needed to project like the "big boys".

I know I know...."Just go spin your little gun and be quiet, Flo..." =P
*Flo*
~>Fairfield Open 00-02
~>W.G.I. scholarship recipient
~>Glassmen rifle (and Rookie of the Year!) 02, 03
~>San Jose Raiders World winterguard 03
~>D.C.I. calendar girl (May 2003)