Grainger

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Grainger

Post by Ace » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:44 pm

Anyone ever heard of Percie Aldridge Grainger or played any of this guy's music? It's some pretty crazy stuff. Especially that molly on the shore song, is any band ever plays that song......then good luck clarinets and flutes.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:59 pm

I haven't played that piece, but I have played two other pieces by Grainger: Australian Up-Country Tune and The Gumsuckers March. Both of those pieces were pretty nice.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:47 pm

"Percy" Grainger is perhaps a standard composer in the band idiom. Lincolnshire Posy is one of my faves.

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:03 am

We played Molly on the Shore in concert band, not as difficult a piece as others we did by him. In wind ensemble, we've played his Lincolnshire Posy which was fairly difficult, Colonial Song which had an awesome and beautiful melody (I'd love to hear someone do that on field), Children's March Over the Hills (one of my favorites) and Shepherd's Hey (very fun piece).

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:52 pm

we played lincoshire posy last year pretty scary stuff :shock:
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:23 pm

Last year, the Symphonic Band at Villa Park played "Colonial Song" by Grainger, and they played "The Gum-Suckers March" this year.

Grainger is great!
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:49 pm

In my opinion, Grainger's two best band pieces are ones you hardly ever hear played: "Marching Song of Democracy" and "The Immovable Do." I never did care much for "Lincolnshire Posy," even though that's probably his most famous work.

MaestroY3K

Post by MaestroY3K » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:27 pm

I love Grainger---
Maybe it's because I play both the clarinet and piano...

My favorite Grainger piece would have to be "Children's March."

The composer truly is unique--it may or may not surprise you to know that he was a masochist!!

Plus, I've never heard of another Austrailian composer...
Feel free to Instant message me on AIM. I love to talk about music.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Grainger and other Aussies

Post by PGOK » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:53 pm

I am a big Fan of "The Power of Rome and the Christian Heart" and "The Immovable Do". And I of course LOVE "Lincolnshire Posy". Two Summers ago at a conducting workshop, we went over the songs, what they meant and how the music reflected the words. It is an even more amazing piece when you have those pieces of the puzzle.

Two other outstanding Australian composers are David Stanhope and Ralph Hultgren. Stanhope has a series of Folk Song Suites that are very much in the style of Grainger. Hultgren writes music at ALL levels. From elementary to professional. Amongst his best pieces are "Masada", "Whirr!, Whirr!, Whirr!" and "Bush Dance" :wav: .
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:59 pm

My director loves to program Grainger and we've played a Grainger at festival every year for as long as I know. We played Austrialian Up-Country Tune my freshman year and last year we played Children's March. Which is my favorite Grainger. We had an incredible piano player and english horn player and it was just awesome. I personally think Grainger is one of, if not the best modern composers of Wind Music.

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:01 am

MaestroY3K wrote:I love Grainger---
Maybe it's because I play both the clarinet and piano...

My favorite Grainger piece would have to be "Children's March."

The composer truly is unique--it may or may not surprise you to know that he was a masochist!!

Plus, I've never heard of another Austrailian composer...

Our wind ensemble is playing that song this year. It's a fun song except for those concert a flat runs on flute. It's not impossible it's just that my fingers get tangled on all the high notes. :oops:
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

bassbonist55
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bassbonist55 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:02 pm

I don't exactly like him and I have my reasons...I don't feel like explaining. His music is boring, Molly on the Shore is the only interesting piece I like. I don't think he's a good composer. I don't mind others that like him, that's cool. You have your reasons and I have mine.
Principle chair Bass bone Idyllwild Arts Camp
Solo Bassbonist of BOA Honor Band for TOR
Bass Bone of Intercolligate Band for CBDNA 05'
National Conference at Carnegie Hall and
Alice Tully Hall
Lessons:Byron Peebles,David Evans,Dr. A Miller

calileo87

I have another piece...

Post by calileo87 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:05 am

When I was a sophomore (seems like such a long time ago, too!), we played Irish Tune from County Derry. Our sectio leader had the trumpet solo, and I was so jealous of him! But later, we found out that we had to play Irish Tune for graduation, and I was like, "Oh crap! I actually have to play a solo!" because I was the oldest lead trumpet player. I still remember that song, and I loved the solo.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 am

His name seems so familiar, I know we've played one of his pieces or maybe it was drumline my frosh year we used one of his pices...... I just can't remember. :(
Nothing is impossible with God!

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:47 am

This year, we have already played Grainger's orchestration of Bach's "Blithe Bells," and later we'll be playing "Immovable Do"
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance