America loses another group of heroes.

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

America loses another group of heroes.

Post by Wildabeast » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:12 pm

And so begins another severe time of grief as America and Israel lost the crew and craft of the space shuttle Columbia this morning on its descent over Texas on its way to Florida.
I also had a sudden flashback and feeling that I experienced when I walked into my history class back in 1986 and had my eyes glued to the television when Challenger exploded during takeoff.
My prayers go out to all family and friends of the souls taken today, especially the family of astronaut Laurel Clark. http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/5084125.htm

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:30 pm

No offense or anything, but I don't understand why they are heroes.

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:56 am

Probably because they could have done nothing with their lives instead of dying in a fiery ball over Texas?

They worked their butts off, got into the astronaut program, did something that most of us dream we could do, and unexpectedly died in the course of doing their duty.

Could that be it? Or should they have been arrested and renegotiated their contracts first? Or maybe played in the NBA, NFL, or even released an album first?

If putting yourself in the way of harm for the advancement of science and exploration is not heroic, then I do not know what is...

Maybe I am just getting old...

BTW, I was in the 7th grade when the Challenger blew up. I was in P.E. waiting for the bell to ring to go to my next class when we heard the news. Where was everyone else?

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:56 pm

BTW, I was in the 7th grade when the Challenger blew up. I was in P.E. waiting for the bell to ring to go to my next class when we heard the news. Where was everyone else?
Anxiously awaiting to be placed into my mother's womb. :wink:

When this happened though, I was away camping for the weekend. I found out about it last night, and heard more details this morning.

Terrible...one is left to wonder, what with 9/11 and this happening in the first 3 years of the century and millenium, what else could happen in the next 100 and 1000 years to come?
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:36 pm

I was a wee little 20 month old baby then.

this time around, i was watching saturday morning cartoons when i switched channels during a commercial.

i think imma remember that as much as i remember where i was for sept 11.
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:43 am

I was inly one year old, and do not remember it that well, however, I found out about this on Saturday, but found out more this morning. I was saddened by the news. We took a moment of silence today in school, and they are heroes, because unfortunatly they died in duty. I hope that scientists can find out what happened up there, that way their deaths are not in vain, and will not happen again. My prayers to the family, and friends of those who knew the people on that ship.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."