Which trilogy do you prefer?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

"Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings"?

Star Wars
50%
LOTR
50%

Total votes: 22

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:41 pm

bandgeek&colorguardfreak:

I am unable to see your avatar for some reason. Even though I am unable to see it, I can get a sense you are a true SW fan.

Though maybe not as rabid as me.

Could we get a better Maul emoticon please?

:maul:

Back to my training...

SithScorp out...
:jedi:

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Oops!

Post by SithScorp » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:50 pm

Wasn't spamming, it just went in twice!!!

BTW...

If this is the scene in ESB where Vader is "throwing" stuff at Luke, shouldn't the saber be BLUE? I do not remember a saber battle with flying objects in ROTJ.

Just being a bit picky...

whsguardgrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by whsguardgrl » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:00 pm

I haven't seen neither LOTR nor Star Wars. When I was 10, I tried to watch the first Star Wars movie, but I fell asleep halfway through. Same thing happened this year with LOTR #1. Might have had something to do with the fact that I had a field show and two choir concerts earlier that day (I was tired).
The Godfather (field), To Kill a Mockingbird (winter), American Elegy (field), Afro Celt "Cycles" (winter), We Are Not Alone (field), Kristallen den fina (winter), Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet (field), Ode to Joy (winter)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: The age old question...

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:26 am

SithScorp wrote:In terms of "quality" of material, one must take a step back and look at the issue objectively.

Lucas himself has stated on many instances that much of the material and character archetypes were derived from the LOTR books. He just dressed it up in technology and put it in outer space.

If anyone would like me to draw the connections in characters, plots, and sub-plots, I would love to discuss that as well.
Something a lot of people don't realize is that The Lord of the Rings is basically just a fancy rewrite based on the story of Jesus Christ (with a sturdy WWI influence for the battle scenes). J.R.R. Tolkein was deeply religious man, and TLotR stories have some striking similarities to some of the events in the Bible:
Jesus and the Disciples ... Frodo and the Fellowship
Jesus betrayed by Judas ... Frodo's run-in with Boromir
Jesus sacrifice so that others may live ... Frodo's sacrifice so that others may live

etc. etc.
Which is why I laugh when I see fools trying to act smart by criticizing Tolkein's skill. Yes, he wrote lots and lots of descriptive text... but he also, esentially, wrote a 1,500 page religious parable without mentioning religion at all! Religion, if you recall, doesn't factor into any of the books, and yet the story as a whole is strongly influenced by it.

bandgeek&colorguardfreak
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Oops!

Post by bandgeek&colorguardfreak » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:21 am

SithScorp wrote:Wasn't spamming, it just went in twice!!!

BTW...

If this is the scene in ESB where Vader is "throwing" stuff at Luke, shouldn't the saber be BLUE? I do not remember a saber battle with flying objects in ROTJ.

Just being a bit picky...
Yeah, Luke's lightsabre should be blue, oh well. It was from that scene in "Empire Strikes Back" on Bespin. To answer your question, my avatar is Slave I, and it is screwed up so I need to get a new one.
I lost my sodeeeeeee waterrrr........

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:48 pm

Is this the new double-posting thread? It can be avoided by not using the browser's back button and if the post is the last in the thread, it can be deleted.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:54 am

Or you can wait until one of us moderators gets around to cleaning up after you. :? But yeah, listen to Lovable Sheep. :)

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:59 pm

BTW,

Did anyone else hear about the little slip George Lucas RECENTLY made about SW?

Something about making "9 Two and a half hour movies..."

:twisted:

OOOHHHHHH

Mark Hamill get ready, Carrie Fisher get into shape for that brass bikini, and Harrison, ah hell he is still in GREAT shape to kick ass!!!

Go INDY 4!!!

Why wasn't the Indy series included?

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:12 pm

i can't believe you guys left out the matrix trilogy. imo, matrix ownz LOTR and star wars.

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:24 pm

DUHHHHH- OK

Matrix blah blah blahbababityba blah blah Matrix blah Matrix Matrix blah

I like the Matrix, but please...

SoCalSpinN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SoCalSpinN » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:31 am

of course, the controversy all boils down to one thing... a battle, braveheart style. not between the characters (b/c, of course, that would lead nowhere), but between the trilogies' respective cult followings.
Acronymphos love to have S.E.X.

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:09 pm

I don't really think there is enough of the Matrix out yet to judge it as an entire trilogy.

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:59 pm

SoCalSpinN wrote:of course, the controversy all boils down to one thing... a battle, braveheart style. not between the characters (b/c, of course, that would lead nowhere), but between the trilogies' respective cult followings.
daym that would be tite.

the first matrix was a more interesting then lord of the rings or star wars.

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:24 pm

Ok...

Matrix blah blah Matrix Blah. Blahblahbity blah blah Matrix "daym tite" Matrix blah...

Study up on your mythical archetypes, you will see that it all derives from pretty much the same material...

I enjoy "The Matrix". It is a damn good and interesting movie. The whole "question your perception of reality" dynamic and all.

Begin a Matrix topic if you love it so much.

Don't bash the established merchandises though. Each has their place in our cultural psyche and some could get very testy. You would have needed to grow up on it to fully understand it.
Back to my training...

:maul:

SithScorp out...

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:32 pm

oh i'm sorry. i guess when other people brought in other trilogies i decided to bring in one of my liking.

and yes, everything does come down to good vs. evil or whatever you want to call it.

but again, you bash me at the same when i clearly state my opinions.