Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: nopsbs, dmcoach

User avatar
nopsbs
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:09 am
Location: AZ

Recent Post....

Post by nopsbs » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:16 am

Hi Sam....

As the moderator of this section of the forum I really debated as to whether or not I should delete your post in this discussion based on your personal opinions about your dealings with Ben Jiang.

I didn't delete it but would ask that you consider editing the post to comment only on your view of his technique, not his personality, and remove all references to your opinion about him as a person.

An open discussion about technical execution is valid and appropriate, any negative comments concerning an individual's personality are not.

Thanks for your interest and support of the forums, and for your help on this issue....

Dave
Leaders are people who do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, whether they feel like it doing it, or not.

User avatar
MOB_DM
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Montebello,CA
Contact:

Post by MOB_DM » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:35 am

Ok, Being from Montebello, there are a lot of rules that our Drum Major has to follow so it is rar to see our names on this list but two Military Drum Majors that should be on this list are Bobby Acalla (88-89) and Michael Kim (94-95) these people have played key roles in Montebello history, very few at this school have been able to live up to them but there has been Jennifer Regalado(02-03) who has done well (Arcadia Band Review 98.5)
One thing that I have to say is that both Bobby and Micheal have told me to keep up the good work and Maybe I will go down in Montebello History!!. . . . .

Umm other Dms. . ..
Tom Peacock(Savanna HS)
Rusty Givens(???)
Mirian Lieu(Arcadia HS)
. . . . I can't think of any more,

SRDM
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:44 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Post by SRDM » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:32 am

i have in for Anthony Rublacava (El Rancho) Anthony and Chris Nillaga (Bonita Vista) and of course my good ol' friend Ben Schroeder who has taught me tons of things. Tom Peacock is a legend, his name runs concurrent with the word "mace" or "baton". But my favorite would have to be Anthony from El Rancho because of his own quote "I skipped Apprentice and went to Majors because it was too easy"
Shamrock Regiment DM '02-'04

User avatar
Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:41 pm
Location: Upland, CA
Contact:

Old time greats....

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:09 pm

Fred DiLuzio from West High in Torrance about 1973-74 and Conrad Lucero of Colton High School about the same time. Both great Military style drum majors. Fred went on to be the drum major with the fabulous Long Beach State Big Brown Music Machine. Conrad was drum major at Colton for three years and won countless first place awards. The band director at Colton used to leave Conrad in charge of the whole band in the formation area of major band reviews and walk up the competition zone and wait for them. How many band directors would dare to do that today? Remeber that back in those days bands didn't have big instructional staffs, it was just the band director and the auxiliary instructor to manage the whole band.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

crazypepsarecool
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: i live in Oceanside but go to RBV
Contact:

Post by crazypepsarecool » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:32 pm

MOB_DM wrote:Umm other Dms. . ..
Tom Peacock(Savanna HS)
Rusty Givens(???)
Mirian Lieu(Arcadia HS)
. . . . I can't think of any more,
umm Rusty is one of our staff at Rancho Buena Vista. He helps our parade drum majors and has had one kid and has one kid in our program. I didn't know he was legendary DM. cool.
Kick Donkey!

User avatar
MOB_DM
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Montebello,CA
Contact:

i forgot one

Post by MOB_DM » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:46 pm

How about Liz Belinger ? ? ?

and yeah it is kool that Some one put Anthony (El Rancho) on this list he was really good.

User avatar
Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Azusa CA

Post by Spin Doctor » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:45 am

MOB_DM wrote:Ok, Being from Montebello, there are a lot of rules that our Drum Major has to follow so it is rar to see our names on this list but two Military Drum Majors that should be on this list are Bobby Acalla (88-89) and Michael Kim (94-95) these people have played key roles in Montebello history, very few at this school have been able to live up to them but there has been Jennifer Regalado(02-03) who has done well (Arcadia Band Review 98.5)
One thing that I have to say is that both Bobby and Micheal have told me to keep up the good work and Maybe I will go down in Montebello History!!. . . . .
Michael Kim was 96-97. I know, he beat me pretty bad a couple times.
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

oldtimer32
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:27 am

Post by oldtimer32 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:37 am

OK, people, let's go way back in Northern California. We're talking Kris Harper (Director @ Cupertino), Kathleen Harper (now Jones) Rick Wilson in the San Jose era (BTW, Rick has a great resource for Drum Majors: www.onlinedrummajor.com). All these were late 70s, early 80s. Back in the DM "Show" Competition, it was Donald Priest who perfected multiple tosses (3 batons @ once!).

Thanks for letting me trip back to the 20th century.
- Back in my day . . .

User avatar
Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:46 pm
Location: Azusa CA

Post by Spin Doctor » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:46 pm

oldtimer32 wrote:OK, people, let's go way back in Northern California. We're talking Kris Harper (Director @ Cupertino), Kathleen Harper (now Jones) Rick Wilson in the San Jose era (BTW, Rick has a great resource for Drum Majors: www.onlinedrummajor.com). All these were late 70s, early 80s. Back in the DM "Show" Competition, it was Donald Priest who perfected multiple tosses (3 batons @ once!).

Thanks for letting me trip back to the 20th century.
Anybody have any cool pictures of any of these people?

User avatar
BbConcert
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sunny So Cal
Contact:

Post by BbConcert » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:01 pm

i wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

while not officially a drum major at his current school (YET), Sean In is one heck of a competitor in the solo L season. Grand Masters title as an 8th grader! that's gotta turn some heads!

and i have my personal heroes, which include Mai Vo, Mike Allen, and many, many others that people have probably never heard of.

yep yep! =D
By his divinity, Jesus could touch the shores of heaven; by his humanity, Jesus could touch the shores of the earth; by the oneness of his personality, he could join heaven and earth together - through him, justice and peace met and kissed.

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:59 pm

As a Drum Major myself, i think i'm going to go out on a limb and say that a Drum Major shouldn't be defined as someone who can spin to a 98.4 (not to take anything away from Ben Jiang) but a Drum Major should be defined through the success and morale of his/her band.

User avatar
mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:57 pm
Location: Anaheim,Ca

Post by mytree003 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:06 pm

Oh my goodness! I can't believe someone actually thinks that I'm their hero! Thank you! After reading this thread my goal for this year was to become a legendary DM. I feel a little closer to that goal already...
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

User avatar
MOB_DM
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Montebello,CA
Contact:

Post by MOB_DM » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:26 pm

BbConcert wrote:i wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

while not officially a drum major at his current school (YET), Sean In is one heck of a competitor in the solo L season. Grand Masters title as an 8th grader! that's gotta turn some heads!

and i have my personal heroes, which include Mai Vo, Mike Allen, and many, many others that people have probably never heard of.

yep yep! =D

I totally agree, Sean is great. . . well he is a great person all around. and i really think he should be the DM

+Gabriel Fuentes
Montebello High School
Senior Drum Major

User avatar
BbConcert
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:45 pm
Location: Sunny So Cal
Contact:

Post by BbConcert » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:25 pm

hey, don't discount yourself! you're one heckuva DM, too. =D Congrats at La Palma today. It was a total honor to share a street with you and everyone else. =D
By his divinity, Jesus could touch the shores of heaven; by his humanity, Jesus could touch the shores of the earth; by the oneness of his personality, he could join heaven and earth together - through him, justice and peace met and kissed.

User avatar
MOB_DM
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: Montebello,CA
Contact:

Post by MOB_DM » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:07 am

BbConcert wrote:hey, don't discount yourself! you're one heckuva DM, too. =D Congrats at La Palma today. It was a total honor to share a street with you and everyone else. =D

Awww, thank you!!!
That means a lot to me. . .
best of luck to you and all the other DMs out there

Post Reply