Trumpets Rule!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

do trumpets rule or wut

yes
41%
always
9%
forever
50%

Total votes: 22

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

My bad...

Post by LittleFerg » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:08 pm

My deepest apologies JazzTBone I did not mean to use your name. But, all of the information in that post, should be considered valid under my own alias. (LittleFerg). Will improve upon not using your name in the future.

PEACE

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:13 pm

Let's call a time out here, OK?

Every instrument is important to the enemble. But they need to be in balance for the "team" concept to work! It's OK to have a little sectional pride, but don't be at eachother's throats, otherwise the ensemble wil be destroyed!!!

When I was at Long Beach State back in the mid 1970's, we used to hold a contest during band camp to see which section was the most powerful. The outcome was used to place sections in the concert block so the band would sound it's very best on the field. So how well each section projected dictated where they were placed in the drill. In the fall of 1976 the trombone section (35+) out dueled the trumpet section (45+) and were placed in the next to last rows in the concert block. The sousaphones had the back row, we had 18 members in the tuba section and could out blow them all. :wink: Well, maybe it was because our bells were so big they needed to be in the back for visual reasons.... NOT! :lol:

What it all comes down to is have pride in YOUR instrument, but have RESPECT for the others TOO! Because without them you can't be a band!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Yaaa... we know.

Post by LittleFerg » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:41 pm

:zzz: ... oh sorry, your sympathy and passion put a spell on me...

Yes, we know (Bandmaster) that in the end, we all need eachother. But, we are all driven by the need and urge to be better than the other. It is a symbiotic relationship, the trumpet and trombone. The trumpet is the shark, and the trombone is the sucking fish that cleans it and cathces a ride.

BL- the epitome of the ultimate trumpet ego. 8-) :zzz:

dude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dude » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:40 pm

amen!

drumcorpmello
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumcorpmello » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:39 pm

supposing we werent refering to the trumpet and trombone in an ensemble. the trumpet has ruled the jazz and classcal genres since the invention of the trumpet.
the oh, so modest,
st
ps. i got your bone right here, AB

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Nice Point...

Post by LittleFerg » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:19 pm

Very true St,

Trumpets really do rule many areas that trombones cannot compete with. Although, I must admit, trombones will always rule the sound effect region. Beee-Wooow-ump bob. For the end of cartoons and games. I just recently talked to a successful trombone player, MML (DAD) and he stated, "If I could go back to when I first picked up an instrument, I would of reached for a trumpet." I asked, "Why's that Dad?" "Because it is more fun to play, Brett, it's moer fun to play." Damn straight it is. I feel only deep pity for those who do not see the light that is the trumpet.

Maynard Ferguson
Arturo Sandoval
Chet Baker
Miles Davis
Louis Armstrong

ALL TRUMPETS -BML

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:18 pm

Now I'm not a trombonist, but these names come to mind:

Dicky Wells
J.C. Higganbotham
Jack Teagarden
Tommy Dorsey
Glenn Miller
Bill Harris
Ray Conniff
J.J. Johnson
Slide Hampton
Curtis Fuller
Frank Rosolino
Urbie Green
Bill Watrous
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

QT Pa2T mello

add one more 2 the "vista crew"

Post by QT Pa2T mello » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:51 pm

hey guyz...guess who finally got a name on WoP?!?! one more addition to the "vista crew" *hehe*!!! & o yes...as far as this discussion...*sorry* AB but if i had to choose between trombone & trumpet...i'd have to go w/trumpet!!! & might i add...who wrote that 3rd mvt to the E show this year that u love sssooo much?!?!...wait wait...o ya, a TRUMPET player...*hm...* :lol:
the one & only
*ash...aka...assley*
*itz too hard, u have 2 suck it really hard to get it to come up the straw...right ST, AB, MK, & RK?!?!*

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by LittleFerg » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:52 am

Hey!? Did AB stop commenting or something? Did he run out of things to say?
WHere are you?

JazzTBone123
New Recruit
New Recruit

My Apologies

Post by JazzTBone123 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:43 pm

I have issues with my computer at home...it sometimes doesn't allow me to log in to my name to reply. Therefore, I do my replies at school. My apologies, but a better excuse for me would be that I have fallen in love with my horn and so I've been playing so much I haven't paid much attention to this discussion. Because we all know, trombones are superior to trumpets. Read the Harvard Dictionary of Music, you'll understand!

-AB

By the way Ashley, we're basing our loves for our respective instruments on orchestral/symphonic music, not drum and bugle corps....no offense to you at all

QT Pa2T mello

alright then...

Post by QT Pa2T mello » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:28 pm

alright andy...well then, might i just repeat shane, @ rehearsalz i believe the trombonez are alwayz being told to play louder & balance to the trumpetz because we can never hear the trombonez...also u say the first trombone was made in 1490, thatz all very fine & dandy but the first reliable trumpet was seen around the 1300s & actually the first "trumpet"...although it did not have valves was seen in roman timez...i mean when we all think of jazz we all i'm sure first think of trumpetz (then sax'z of course *mwahaha*~*lol* :P )...who getz all the solo'z on field??? who getz most of the solo'z in wind ensemble...well...u really should ask, who getz the most solo'z period???...o ya, as for drum corp...i'm stickin w/mello'z...we have all the kool partz n-e-how *hehe* :P :lol: !!!
hey, GL @ finalz vista crew...shane, andy, mandi, randee, & brett...o ya & i'm goin to starbuckz wed & thurs, if n-e-one wantz n-e-thin just lemme know...luv u guyz lotz...xoxo
*ash*
*itz too hard, u have 2 suck it really hard to get it to come up the straw...right ST, AB, MK, & RK?!?!*

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Yum

Post by LittleFerg » Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:25 pm

Starbucks is like a trombone, it is overrated and flat out sucks.

-BL (anti-coffee movement)

KuTe_LiL_MeLLo

Post by KuTe_LiL_MeLLo » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:34 pm

i only have 2 thingz 2 say here...i'm having a bad day & u guyz just made it worse 2-day...
1) starbuckz rulez brett
2) u guyz r dumb (minus shane)...o *wah* i said yur namez *whine whine whine*...don't get all stupid about it & bitch about it to me "geez ashley u ruined it"...o ya cause it was SUCH a big deal n'all...o o...brett is little ferg *GASP* & mandi is some bd random letter thing...and andy is jazztbone...o no...u guyz don't have to be snobby just because u think yur better then everyone else because u play brass...thank u SHANE for understanding that when it comez down to it, WW is hard
o ya...i take it back...i have 3 thingz to say
3) if i hear anyone say n-e-thing about me having my parentz on a leash there will be smackdown...thatz really rude...u should be thankful i give u guyz ridez & do everything i do for u after u say thingz like that to me
*itz too hard, u have 2 suck it a lot to make it come up the straw...*lol* right ST, RK, AB, & MK?!?!*

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:13 pm

Alrighty time to regulate here.

If things get even uglier I'm going to lock this thread.

Now back to the topic of trumpets rule.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

LittleFerg
New Recruit
New Recruit

Whoa

Post by LittleFerg » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:34 pm

Hey Ash, you are really overreacting. I didn't mean it like that.
I'll talk to you about it later.