Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

drumset and marching percussion

Post by RBSnare » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:11 pm

hello everyone -

i am wondering if there are any drumset players out there, who also do (or dont do) marching percussion. discuss your kit, your styles, your influences, and anything else.

a common misconception i find is that people think if you play marching drums, you'll be a "stiff" drumset player and lack some of the natural groove. TOTALLY WRONG (as you know). our instructor marched vanguard and he is one of the best drumset players in SD (not to brag, but it seems to be true).

i use the rudimental knowledge from battery drums and apply it to drumset...good stuff.
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:13 pm

i play both. i have a tama swing-star and an iron cobra double pedal and sabian cymbals. i use alot of rudiment when playing and i think that doing marching percussion has made me a way better set player.
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

MVsnare465
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MVsnare465 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:08 pm

same situation. this guy im in jazz with thought that when i said i was in drumline, i would be really stiff. mr. mike jackson, is a firm believer in good, firm technique, but he still plays set really loose and funky.

as for me:

Gretch '87 Catalina (Similar in sound to Elvin Jones' Kit)
Jordan Lee Yamaha Snare (Deep)
Bosphorus Antique 20" Ride, 14" Hi-Hats
Bosphorus Traditional 17" Crash
Istanbul Traditional 16" Thin Crash

i listen to alot of elvin jones (john coltrane, as well as others), kenny clark (dexter gordon). definitely john bonham, mitch mitchell, stewart copeland and a little bit of weckl for FUSION! 8-)

double bass = biggest pet-peeve in the WORLD.
mission viejo
snare

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:20 pm

i was drum captain in my high school and played lots of battery. i also play jazz, funk, rock, and latin on drumset with a few bands now. At first it was a little challenging balancing both styles, but i have learned how to incorporate both. when i need the technique of marching drumline, i can do it, but when i wanna play loos and jazzy in my jazz combo, i can too. it just takes practice!

i have a Yamah Stage Custom, Zildjian A, ACustom, and ZBT cymbals.

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:29 pm

Drumline has helped with my timing and more complicated fills. I play everything from jazz in the jazz band, Raggae/Soca in the steel pans bands, and funk.

I have a Tama Rockstar 30 florence, Zildian goodies, topped with Evans G2
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.