Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Freelancers???

Post by jbdrummerdude » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:13 pm

hey
i see all these things on other lines auditions and im wondering wats up with Freelancers? Is it too early for info? Ive been to the sites a couple of times and it hasnt been updated since november of last year. If n/e one knows wats goin on please give us the 411. Id like to go to some clinics and see how the ppl are.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:31 pm

Hey! jbdrummerdude

I agree with you too. I see alot of drumlines having info about their upcoming 2005 season. I know about 3 drumlines dont have any info yet. I was also wondering what going on with all those other lines with info..

:P :x :D 8-)
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

freelancers

Post by Vermin87 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:06 pm

freelancers is for sure gonna have 2005 indoor show. Tryouts are sometime in december, the exact date still unknown. If you really wanna know more, contact someone on the staff...Roger Carter or someone, although i heard roger might be doing black knights instead? I know a lot of connections so i dont have a hard time finding out info. Don't hesitate to e-mail a staff member if you really want to do it.

Cadetsnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cadetsnare » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:32 am

I'll see Roger Carter later on today...we teach Murrieta Valley together. I'll tell him to check out this website and he'll pm you.
...proudly quashing bad left hands since 1988....
Pearl, Remo and Vic Firth artist, and I make one heck of an omelette.

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Freelancers tryouts

Post by Vermin87 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:09 pm

update:
freelancers has folded again, so no 2005 freelancers line.
Verent Chan
~Clovis West Drumline Section Leader '03-'05~

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Do you know this for certain. I haven't heard anything officially from them about folding for this season.

Thanks for info.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vermin87 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:57 pm

sokkerboie wrote:Do you know this for certain. I haven't heard anything officially from them about folding for this season.

Thanks for info.
yeup! its official...some the CW staff is with the Freelancers too, and theres 2 members of the Freelancers pit that confirmed this to me. i doubt they will post anything about it though.
Verent Chan

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:01 pm

NO FREELANCERS?!?! this brings a tear to my eye. :cry: do we know the reason? funds? loss of instructors? whos gonna take over for the popularity of northern california indoor lines? there hasnt been one like freelancers in my eyes.

J Boo

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vermin87 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:27 pm

from what i heard, they are still in debt from last year, so theres no funds for this year. some blame it on the multi-million dollar(exaggeration) cost of the James Bond show that failed... Freelancers Unplugged!!
Verent Chan

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:16 pm

that really sucks. where are all the freelancer vets gonna go now? i was really looking forward to this years.

J Boo

LTL'98
New Recruit
New Recruit

Failed?

Post by LTL'98 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:43 am

from what i heard, they are still in debt from last year, so theres no funds for this year. some blame it on the multi-million dollar(exaggeration) cost of the James Bond show that failed... Freelancers Unplugged!!
Hold up there buddy, I would hardly call a bronze medal a failure. Yes there were some technical difficulties during finals, but to call the ENTIRE show a failure... I think you over exaggerate.

As for the freelancers folding, it wouldn't be because of any one show or person... Last I heard, the bingo hall that finances the line has been getting less and less business because of a newer bingo hall opening up near by. If the Bond show was as expensive as this joker says, then they would not have been able to compete the following year with the Tower of Power/techno show.

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:58 am

jbdrummerdude wrote:that really sucks. where are all the freelancer vets gonna go now? i was really looking forward to this years.

J Boo
It is always a shame when one program closes the door for one or more seasons for any reason.

There is an option for Nor Cal drummers. Summit Indoor Drum Line is in Reno/Sparks, NV. We are a new program (IA) and will compete in the CCGC, CVGPC circuits, attend WGI in Hayward and Championships.

We would welcome any Freelancer vets who want to come, drum, have a good time and be a part of an exciting new program.

Our staff are from programs such as Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Devils, Pacific Crest (Dave Henkel and Paul Casey are writing the book), Carolina Crown, Music City Mystique and BLAS! (Terry Pritchard is writing the visual book).

The 2005 production is "BURNING MAN" and is based on the art installations that are a part of the annual festival in the back desert of Nevada. It will be an exciting blend of acoustinc percussion with electronics. Rehearsals are tupically one evening each week and Saturdays, so it is possible for members who commute in from Sacramento.

For more information check the web at www.summit-youth-arts.org or call Brent Cooper at (775) 762-5378 or (775) 626-5378.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AT AUDITIONS: Friday, November 5th 6:00pm-9:00pm; Saturday, November 6th 10:00am-6:00pm and Sunday November 7th 10:00am-4:00pm. Housing for auditions and rehearsals can be arranged call (775) 762-5377.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:35 pm

RIPE is also a group that would welcome any Freelancer Vets (we did the "Jack The Ripper" show at your home show last year)...We are only 10 minutes out of Sac. We got the Bronze Medal this past year at Nationals (our first time going) and plan to be an open line this coming winter. Check out our site, www.weareripe.org

Our show is all original music and is based around "The Gods." We already have 3 snares, 4 bass drums, 2 tenors and 5 mallet players. We only rehearse on Sundays.

Please contact me with any questions.

8-ball@weareripe.org

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:27 pm

Hey! Anyone

I would like to know what is going on with Freelancers this season. Are they folding or will they still produce a 2005 sesaon.

:P 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Vermin87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Failed?

Post by Vermin87 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:33 pm

LTL'98 wrote:
Hold up there buddy, I would hardly call a bronze medal a failure. Yes there were some technical difficulties during finals, but to call the ENTIRE show a failure... I think you over exaggerate.

As for the freelancers folding, it wouldn't be because of any one show or person... Last I heard, the bingo hall that finances the line has been getting less and less business because of a newer bingo hall opening up near by. If the Bond show was as expensive as this joker says, then they would not have been able to compete the following year with the Tower of Power/techno show.
my mistake! you are right...the show was not a failure because the drumline threw down an extremely clean show. Im sure the pit did too, except it was a little hard to hear them. What i meant to say was something more along the lines of "things didn't go as planned." as for the debts, thats just what i heard.
Verent Chan