How long

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

How long

Post by Survivor » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:04 pm

Hi there its me Survivor again with another Q and A. Here it is...... How long does it take your Percussion section to get there music. At my school the band gets theres the last day of school for us the Percussion we get our usally the 2nd week of August is when we START getting our opener....
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

audrizzle13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by audrizzle13 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:11 pm

We dont do fieldshow or field percussion. But as far as it goes with getting the music that is going to be marched for fall season, the captain and a few other key people get it at the start of the summer, the rest of them get it at band camp. When it comes to winter line we usually get that in Nov. but it depends on our instructor and how fast he write the music for our show and sometimes that may not be until late Dec.
myspace.com/audreypuff
Nurses do it painless.
Nurses do it with TLC.
Nurses do it with care.
Nurses do it with intensive care.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:14 pm

Our percussion section gets it at the same time the whole band does, which is at band camp
No regrets

xWMSxGrLx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xWMSxGrLx » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:50 pm

well im in MS so its probably alot different than high school would be. Last season, we didnt get our show music till like... december but so far this yr we have most of the sections set so Pit got their music 2nd or 3rd week of summer clinic/practice (?) and tenors too. Snares just got the intro music yesterday.

for band, we get it 2nd week of school and everytime he feels we're ready for new songs he gives us new music.
Baritone/Euphonium
2006 - "Rise Of Samurai" - Bass drum - caption :]
2006- "Oh, What a World" - WG
2007- JV WG- "Wanted: Dead or Alive"

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:15 pm

the band and drumline got their music a month before school ended.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

xtrmdrummer1

Post by xtrmdrummer1 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:54 pm

Ahh the thought that i dont have to deal with this anymore :lol: . Seriously tho, except for my sophmore year, percussion always got their music right at the tail end of stuff. IE, closer with 8 days till a competition but we have to have it memorized for the next day. Voting yes for doing it with the flu 2 times also o.O
My sophmore year we got our music the last day of band camp in total, but it was quickly watered down by... oh the 3rd practice or so =/. I'll have to call some of the people that are still in HS to ask when they get their music this year.. but id assume that it will be earlier than when i used to get it.

Neebski
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: How long

Post by Neebski » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:05 am

Survivor wrote:Hi there its me Survivor again with another Q and A. Here it is...... How long does it take your Percussion section to get there music. At my school the band gets theres the last day of school for us the Percussion we get our usally the 2nd week of August is when we START getting our opener....
june... getting closer work soon.

Veria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veria » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:39 pm

our drummers this year got it once they got their warmups done. and then over their summer practices, got more music. band got their's when school ended so they could have it memorized by band camp in august
Incognito Drum Line 2006 - 2007
Incognito Drum Line 2007 - 2008
Incognito Drum and Bugle Corps - 2008

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:52 pm

sadly our band has everything but the closer memorized, we are just getting the opener finished.

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:52 pm

This year, our band got it at the end of the school year. Percussion usually gets it during band camp. This year I think we got it either the 3rd or 4th day of band camp.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

RBSnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RBSnare » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:56 pm

last year ('03 season) we got ours my early to mid july (just the opener) and the rest came as it was ready. im pretty sure we had everything by the first week of school.

it was funky over at RB last year cuz we were changing instructors with the replacement of Matt Power...our new instructor came in 2nd day of band camp, and before that we hadnt gotten much done with MP leaving.

this year we got the opener the day before band camp, and its all memorized by now...were still waiting on the closer. latest weve ever gotten anything :roll:
My heart's numbered beat
still echoes in this empty room
and fear wells in me
but nothing seems big enough to defend
so im going away, i am going away...

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:05 am

This is mine first year teaching at a local high school band program as a Instuctor. I try to give my students the OPENER soon as possible. Then I wait until I think they are ready to got the rest of my music selection.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*