favoritism?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

blu3d3vilz

favoritism?

Post by blu3d3vilz » Sat May 15, 2004 6:23 pm

i was just wondering, do any of your guards have a problem with favoritism? i mean w/ my guard, our advisor has 4-5 favorites that are chosen for everything and get away with everything... and the rest of us are just "left out in the cold" so to speak.... :( it kinda makes us feel like this :arrow: :dunce: .... so what are your feelings on this?

margomango

favoritim

Post by margomango » Sat May 15, 2004 6:48 pm

i kno JUST how u feel..this is my advisor :twisted: she thinks she rules us all! its not right..and she does have her favs. go figure :roll: i think it should be based on talent not fav...well i kno how u feel to be "out in the cold" well goodluck with your flags...we should talk more about this..good topic!..bye

vhsguardlvr07

Post by vhsguardlvr07 » Sat May 15, 2004 7:05 pm

Our main instructor was a senior, and our drum major my freshman year so all of the juniors and senior were (and still are friends) with him before he became our instructor. The other one is still a senior in high school so a lot of us went to school with her also. I think I get favored more than anyone in the guard because I'm friends with both of them, but I also have the talent to back it up (or is I'm told) in our guard it really does go by talent, even though we were all friends before they were our instuctors. But even I got a B for this grading period for not dressing out enough. We do get extra credit for going to our instructors concerts at Sac State so a couple of the other girls and I went to go see Marcus's last Sac State concert of the semest a few nights ago. So I think the more you get involved with guard and what your instructor likes (pertaining to guard and such) the more your instructor will, I guess, for lack of a better word, appreciate you.

blu3d3vilz

ummm

Post by blu3d3vilz » Sat May 15, 2004 8:23 pm

LiL BiT13 wrote:Our main instructor was a senior, and our drum major my freshman year so all of the juniors and senior were (and still are friends) with him before he became our instructor. The other one is still a senior in high school so a lot of us went to school with her also. I think I get favored more than anyone in the guard because I'm friends with both of them, but I also have the talent to back it up (or is I'm told) in our guard it really does go by talent, even though we were all friends before they were our instuctors. But even I got a B for this grading period for not dressing out enough. We do get extra credit for going to our instructors concerts at Sac State so a couple of the other girls and I went to go see Marcus's last Sac State concert of the semest a few nights ago. So I think the more you get involved with guard and what your instructor likes (pertaining to guard and such) the more your instructor will, I guess, for lack of a better word, appreciate you.
thats kool that you and your instructors can be friends... but unfortunately, our advisor doesnt care about us or how much we do for the guard. i was a freshman this season, and at the time of tryouts last year i was PATHETIC... but i practiced sooooooooooooooo much that by the end of the season i had a solid 5 on rifle (which is something special on my guard, not so much anywhere else) and i was the most consistent rifle on the team, yet when i tried out sabre, i got alternate, when the girl i tried out with (a "favorite") dropped her sabre several times and her rifle, she made the line... so...
sorry if this sounds like im just complaining about my advisor, i really am trying to find out if there are similar problems at other schools....

o and ghh5lover, if ur advisor is the devil, mine is adolf hitler.... ha

vhsguardlvr07

Post by vhsguardlvr07 » Sat May 15, 2004 8:50 pm

NO...our advisor is Hitler and our band room is the consentration camp. Right MsNikki?

its all about the guard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by its all about the guard » Sun May 16, 2004 12:31 am

LiL BiT13 ... what school did you come from?

and if you're referring to msac concert.. i couldnt go this sem.. how was it?

Madame_Spooky
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Madame_Spooky » Sun May 16, 2004 10:18 am

In our guard, favouritism isn't really an issue because if there is favourtisim then it's for a good reason ---- because those people work extremely hard and have great attitudes. Many people see the favouritism because they aren't exactly the diva guard member that the instructors and captains wish them to be...

But plain out favouritism sucks...

And if you think about it, they must like them for some reason... whether they are friends, are they are just diva at what they do...

I personally know that I go harder on my friends in guard than the other members and they know it and understand why. It works out great this way :)

~Jessi
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

vhsguardlvr07

Post by vhsguardlvr07 » Sun May 16, 2004 10:50 am

No the CSUS concert with both the concert band and the wind ensemble that happenened last Wed. at Capistrano Hall.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun May 16, 2004 3:21 pm

Our instructors try not to play favorites but if there are girls giving mass attitude (like I did last year :oops:) I don't think you're prone to put that person on the 50. There is favoritism a little bit based on how well a person spins or performs, but that's the whole point, right? The best in the front?? Our instructors have it pretty well balanced out. I'm surprised they like me, or atleast pretend to, since we pick on eachother so much :D :bleah:
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Favorites?

Post by GuarDiva04 » Sun May 16, 2004 8:53 pm

Wow hmm... favorites are a sensitive subject with our guard. LoL To say the least... there are 3 girls in our guard who are what we call "the golden children." Although these girls are extremly talented... they get away with everything, not in a hypothetical sense. They're parents are super involved therefore their kids are given allt eh credit... it doesn't help one of them is our guard captain. She allows her friends to get away with things no one else can and talks down to the other captain... not cool! I am an instructor also and I try my hardest not to play favorites... and I guess sometimes I'm even harder on my favorites because I expect more out of them. It's hard... really hard not to play favorites but sometimes I try to favor those that wouldn't normally be favored because I know how it feels to be on the outskirts! Favorites are unavoidable though... it happens everywhere in every organization without a doubt. My goal throughout my years as an instructor is to teach everyone that they are all good at certain thigns so the way to your instructors heart is to try hard at the things you're good at but harder at things you aren't...
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

one fave

Post by RifleLova » Mon May 17, 2004 9:32 pm

our instructor has one major favorite and it sux
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Mon May 17, 2004 9:59 pm

Hmm, this is an interesting topic and probably seen differently from every person on the guard. I don't think my instructor tries to have favorites but I can promise you that being late for your call times, giving attitude, and missing practices probably aren't the best way to get on your instructors good side. I think that there are some girls that get "favored" and get solo's and "the better spots" in the show, but those girls are the ones that get to school on time, work hard and do what is asked of them. Not to mention they catch their stuff. I don't have a problem with the top spinners getting solo's, I feel they deserve it. Although I wouldn't mind a solo either :wink:
I think not having any favorites can be hard. I’m a junior and I have my "favorite sophomores" and my "favorite freshmen". I get along with them and mainly because we share the same values of working hard. The girls that talk and fool around can bother me, so I can see how it's possible to have favorites. But still that doesn't mean that the "favorites" should be able to get away with stuff. They all need to work just as hard as everyone else.
Anyway I’m trying to address this topic as tactful as possible so sorry if it's a bit confusing!
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

Wendy Uzarski

Post by Wendy Uzarski » Tue May 18, 2004 11:12 pm

Favortism isn't always what it seems. As people in the guard, we think that a person that gets a solo over and over is being favored. The reality is that that person is most likely better than we are. we don't always see it ,as members, we don't have the experience to recognize it. Our instructors have been doing this longer than us and we don't always know what is best for the total show. This is what our instructor tells us.

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Favs...no...

Post by Mad City » Wed May 19, 2004 10:49 am

Well well ladies, you can run but you can't hide.

No, there is no favoritism. Those who have special skills, work hard, don't complain, and learn from their mistakes, are usually the right people to put in specific positions. That's how you made finals and top 3 at every contest in the fall, top 2 at every contest in the spring, and won a "GOLD MEDAL".

Talent is one thing, your attitude and "rehearsal performance" is everything.

Read and understand my quote below.
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"

georgefan22
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by georgefan22 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:01 pm

[size=18]I totally know what you mean, When I was in high school I was so not the favorite it wasn't even funny. My soph year I was put on the sabre line but then When the favortei who had quit and then wanted to come indeed came back our instructor took my spot away and gave it her her even though I worked hard and earned that spot. it's just goes to show you cause 3 weeks later she quit again and she had to redo everything because she wanted me back in. The guard I am in now everyone tells me that I am the favorite but I really doubt that lol I get yelled at the most. I call people favorite alot but at least I call everyone favorite and not jsut a select few. =0) but it still gets you fired ( sorry cheap shot) ignore me =0) I love guard[color=red][/color][/size]