Strut your stuff..

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Strut your stuff..

Post by flagchild06 » Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 pm

I know we've had a different thread on colorguard finals but our guard is being given an opportunity to strut our stuff.

We each get to make up our own tryout routine to basically tryout for guard again. A minute and half max. Any equipment you want, and any music you want. Alot of people are going the rock route and it's cool to see what people are coming up with. My little freshman is doing a routine to the Pirates song and it's awesome, she's being really creative and making me go "Wow"

I'm going the opposite route of most of the girls. I'm using Rack 'Em Up by Jonny Lang. It's my little winterguard dream song, and I get to do it!!

Are you guys doing anything like this?
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Mon May 10, 2004 10:12 pm

im on the same guard as flag child and im doing mine to rufios punk cover of like a prayer. i am having sooo much fun because i get to do everything thats gonna show the tricks i can do. :lol:
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iminguard » Tue May 11, 2004 4:52 pm

Im doing one with four other girls called "wherever you will go" by thye calling great song but not my first choice
Breath in the music Breath out your performance.....

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Tue May 11, 2004 9:08 pm

its a pretty song what equiptment are you guys spinning?
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Fri May 14, 2004 3:40 pm

I'm from the same school as flagrat and flagchild and I'm doing mine to dragula by rob zombie mwahaha! It's not as hard as I would have liked but all my death metal bands don't exactly have the cleanest lyrics. Oh well it's still fun to write a show and express yourself in your own way.

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Fri May 14, 2004 4:53 pm

That's pretty interesting that you guys have to come up with a routine to try out again. We have to do it as our (technical) final, and in groups. Each group has to have a concept and a song (length requirements vary by group size); First years can do one, old members can do as many as they like (however things get stressful the more that you do), but everyone is required to do one.

Our try out routine was written by our Captain (and co-written by me and my other co-captain); we don't learn it until the first or second day of try-outs during zero period, and we teach it to incoming members. And yaddah-yaddah, but I don't think you really want to hear about the whole process so I'm going to stop here. :P

But I think it's pretty cool that auditions are based on routine's you write (not entirely based, I assume); that's how our Leader auditions are (1-1.5 minute performance to any song with any equipment).
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Fri May 14, 2004 5:17 pm

yeah we kind of do the same thing as you do CaptainKiki. our instructor writes the flag part of the routine and all the girls trying out for captain write the dance work then we teach the new and old girls all at the same time during try-outs week.
and then our final is a group effort (everyone does the same routine)
i'm just curious, flagchild06, flagratgirl, sabrebatgirl, how do the new girls try-out?
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Fri May 14, 2004 9:46 pm

Okay usually we have two-three week after school tryout thingies where we basically teach the little girls how to spin (you kinda go Wow? I was like that..) and then our captain or instructor makes up a routine for us to teach them. Last year our captain made it up and we did across the floors dance wise with our instructor. This year we're having a week straight of tryouts.

We get alot of girls and so we pair up and take about four girls and teach them and stuff. My freshman year we started out introducing ourselves with stuff like "I'm Vanessa, I'll be a freshman and my dream guy is... bla bla bla" It's kind of when I figured out guard was so diverse :D
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.