How do you think Championships went?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 pm

I just thought I'd let you know... Santa Fe wasn't the only school in the gym. Maybe they were on sunday, but that's just a perk for it being atyour school. But on Saturday, I know we (La Quinta in Westminster) and Monrovia (I think) and one other school got to use the gym. That is because the drum instructor for Santa Fe is also the instructor for us and Monrovia. It was just a perk that we happened to get... just thought i'd explain it. and as for the being disorganized.. as of after awards on saturday night, for sunday, there were only 3 parents signed up to help... that was probably why it wasn't as organized... oh well, i still had fun at championships

i dunno. i just dont think its very fair for one school to have the only gym on campus for the whole day.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Mon May 10, 2004 10:10 pm

flagchild06 wrote:They got their own gym. Sucks for everyone else, great for them.

You guys started to sound like guard girls. :bleah:

huh.
sucks for eveyrone else is right.

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Mon May 10, 2004 10:15 pm

LQHSBando4ver wrote:hey, if it had been you in that gym, you wouldn't have complained one bit.
no, we would have thought it wasnt fair, and would have given the schools to warm up in there, or we would have used it at all.
And as for the lay out of the school, there was a field behind the gyms.
well...ture on that. but things were meant to be marched in a gym. on gym florr, cos you cant serisouly think double timing at like 130 or so it easy on grass is it?

yea. ok.
i think im done with this subject.
i just dont think it was fair at all.
thats it.

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.

Veria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veria » Mon May 10, 2004 10:23 pm

our coach was already stressing out enough with having to get people to help organize this whole thing. You really think we should've stood up and been like "ya, know, let's not be in the gym like you've had planned for a long time. let's let all the other school's in here." Besides, with him knowing it was just his school's in there, he would konw if the gym got messed up, who was at fault. if everyone else was in there, who would've known who did what.

And as for the grass.. field shows can march it, so can drums. and i did see some schools marching and practicing on grass...
Incognito Drum Line 2006 - 2007
Incognito Drum Line 2007 - 2008
Incognito Drum and Bugle Corps - 2008

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Tue May 11, 2004 7:38 am

iono....championships was fun (*tear* even if I didn't like our placement) but....ya, it was weird how most the caption awards went to the lines that placed in 3rd and down....If I recall correctly, last year the more caption awards you recieved, the better chance you had of being in the top three....so what happened this year?

frausto86

Post by frausto86 » Tue May 11, 2004 1:05 pm

IIRC Caption awards go to the lines with the highest score. If you get High Cymbals, that means based on the judges scoring, your cymbal line did better than all the other cymbal lines. That doesn't mean that if you have th ebest cymbal line, you also have the best pit, bass, etc. If you did, you would have gotten those captions as well. It all averages out I think.

But then again I could be wrong.

Crazy_Black_Sax

Post by Crazy_Black_Sax » Tue May 11, 2004 10:36 pm

i can hold my silence no longer. championships was something else. good job to those that did well and to those of us that feel some what cheated... oh well sh** happens. we will conquer in the future. so thats all i got.
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's gonna want a glass of milk.

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Tue May 11, 2004 10:59 pm

To all you ElMo guys, I have a lot of admiration and respect for you. Seriously.

I do agree though, Champs were something else. Hahaha, when our line and equipment and such was in prestage 2, the end of the line was still in the middle of prestage 1. Seriously. :roll: The school really isn't too great for Champs.... Wasn't it their first time hosting? Oh well. Wutevah. Past is past. We just have to look forward to next year. :D
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Wed May 12, 2004 12:25 am

I do believe it was Santa Fe's first time hosting championships. It will be there again next year, if I remember correctly.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Noh

Post by Noh » Wed May 12, 2004 12:23 pm

My school, Magnolia did get 5th place in Scholastic B division, but me and my other tenor player did get High Tenors. We have worked our butts off and I told him practically every day that I wanted high tenors again just like my freshman year, and luckily we got it.

Just because the entire line as a whole wasn't that good, doesn't mean that we did not deserve high tenors, especially after we struggled all year without a drum instructor and I had to teach EVERYTHING to my line. Being only a junior and having to carry an entire drumline was difficult, and I almost never got the respect I deserved for the dedication I had, but I still got what I wanted, for someone to recognize me and my other player as the best. I think we deserved it and just because we ended up getting fifth place doesn't have anything to do with it!!!!!!

drummermom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummermom » Wed May 12, 2004 12:41 pm

drumgirlniki,

I think you've nailed exactly how the caption awards went -- that was my observation, too. To me, the caption awards said that there were some standout individual section performances that were worthy of recognition, whether or not the full line rose to that standard. I thought the snare drummers from PV Peninsula in Scholastic A were awesome -- it didn't surprise me at all to see them win captions, and I've always thought Huntington Beach had great tenors and cymbals. I don't think the two (captions and placements) always tie together, since one is an individual section evaluation and the other one is the overall performance of the line.

congratulations!

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Sub-Division blues

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Wed May 12, 2004 1:52 pm

ODannyBoi wrote:I don't know if anyone else got hit by unlucky distribution of the subdivisions, but my line did. We were seated 7th out of the 18 lines in Standstill. So, of course... Standstill Red seats lines 1-7, Blue: 8-13, White: 14-18. OK... so I'm more than a little scared to bring it on against Poway (Great show, BTW), but I thought 18 divided by 3 was 6... not 7+6+5...

Anyway, Valencia scored higher than all but one line in White and Blue... but we came in 7th in Red. That means that Westview scored 52.2, we scored 54.0... They get a big 1st place trophy... we get a tiny 7th place one. :?

ADLA has to change the way they distribute sub-divisionis at finals. One of my kids mentioned on the way back to the bus that if we had done worse at Serrano, but the same at finals we might have been seated in Blue and yep... big trophy.

Recognition should be based on performance, not luck of the draw. When Valencia signed up... we didn't sign up for Standstill Red anymore than Westview signed up for Standstill Blue or Sonora (who took 2nd in White with a 41.3, 13 points less than VHS) signed up for Standstill White. We all signed up for the same category and were assigned to come in 7th or 3rd or whatever arbitrarily. :frustrated:

Anyone else have a problem with this... I have some suggestions... but I tell you, some changes need to be made.

oh well... better luck and all...
i thought each sub-division was seated against itself.. not the other divisions... so i dont understand why the red is higher than blue.. whatever

You know the trophy is just a peice of plastic right??? i thought comps were for the experience and the score.. not the size of plastic you got.. if you were matched up with hard schools than oh well.. you can do your best.. but it sounds like jsut becuase you jsut 7th and a small trohpy you want it all changed...
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Wed May 12, 2004 7:56 pm

MalleTragic wrote:I do believe it was Santa Fe's first time hosting championships. It will be there again next year, if I remember correctly.
just curious where you heard that from. As much as i believe you i want to hope its not there next year. it was not a good school to have Champs at.
Center Snare '03-'04
Percussion Captain 2001-2004

beautifulsounds

Post by beautifulsounds » Wed May 12, 2004 8:34 pm

i think Pasadina college preformed a good show, but im glad our pet(with me:) and our basess took them caption awards, congrats to pasadina college for their scores:)

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Thu May 13, 2004 10:04 pm

drummermom wrote:drumgirlniki,

I think you've nailed exactly how the caption awards went -- that was my observation, too. To me, the caption awards said that there were some standout individual section performances that were worthy of recognition, whether or not the full line rose to that standard. I thought the snare drummers from PV Peninsula in Scholastic A were awesome -- it didn't surprise me at all to see them win captions, and I've always thought Huntington Beach had great tenors and cymbals.
Wow, thank you SO much! I'm the HB tenor captain and that means a lot to me! The guys really worked hard, and they really pushed me to work harder even more than I ever pushed them, so thanks!
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006