How do you think Championships went?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

pichick86

How do you think Championships went?

Post by pichick86 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:37 pm

Tell me what you thought about the ADLA championships.

I thought it was weird that the schools who got the section awards ended up getting 4, 5, and 6th place. (La Sierra pit did win it no question though)

pitgirl15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pitgirl15 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:09 pm

hey thanks! we'll we (the la sierra pit) worked really hard. and we had alot of fun. and we're really happy that we won that award. what school r u from and how did championships go?
ohh we won 5th place
La sierra ROCKS!!!

pichick86

Post by pichick86 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:21 pm

I'm in pit at Hesperia High school and we are the 2004 ADLA Scholastic B champions and we're so proud. We worked our A$$es off for that. We're just dissapointed that our score only went up .3 They judged us so much harder cuz we added so much extra cool stuff since our last show. (It's because that new judge doesn't like the way our instructor writes, they've already fought with eachother about that before) oh well, it's in the past what can we do. We're happy in the end.

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Mon May 10, 2004 10:37 am

oh geez.

i think the comp was SOOOOOOO unorganized. :-\

very frustrating. we get there and have no guides or anything, and we have to take 20 minutes to find a spot. then we find one, and its on a freaking curb, and we have no where to practice marching because the only court santa fe had was being used THE WHOLE DAY by santa fe. :\ yeah, so the host school gets the ONLY court for the whole day, and they expect not to win championships. and the way to prestage had these like five inch blocks sticking STRAIGHT from the ground...so our cart was oh so easy to get over it.....(right)...

oh well.
we did pretty decent though. im glad. very fun day it was.

i still thik that all gyms should be air conditioned. haha.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

guardboi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guardboi » Mon May 10, 2004 1:21 pm

Wow.. i think championships went great. :D I had a lot of fun! But i was disapointed in out results. :( I think we could have gotton a higher score, but its okay. I know that we all tried out best, cept for the few tears, and we all had a blast! I can tell ya, as a freshmen, this was just an AMAZING life experience 4 me. I am greatfull how we ended up with 3rd place with a line of 49 people! and receiving high cymbols and pit. I was totally shocked by the high cymbols. me, being a cymbol player, along with the other 9 of us, we were not expecting it. That is just pretty dang awsome! But, as i see it, we dont need an award to tell us we are good... we had fun and thats all that should really matter.

I really enjoyed sticking around at all the competitions and watching sum of the open classes. I really got the chance to see wut it is really liked. Alot of them definantly amazed me ::shocked!:: I had alot of favorites (excuse me 4 not knowing the names of ur schools) such as Laquinta!! wow.. that wa so scary but AWSOME!! how ur equipment truck was lost; while using other instuments that done belong to u, and still having the greatest show. I also enjoyed El Modena(Hot tenor guy!!! :D ), Hawthorne, Cypress, Saddleback, and ofcoarse WESTMINSTER!! I love u guys!!! (my school i was supposed to go to)

Also i really want to say CONGRADULATIONS to Rio Mesa!! Dang, ur good.. lol. And Riverside Poly. It was great/fun competiting against u; knowing what to look up to.

SOrry so long guys!! just had to give my shout outs!! :D

guardboi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guardboi » Mon May 10, 2004 1:23 pm

ok.. it sent it 2 times!! lol sorry guys!

ODannyBoi
Rookie
Rookie

Sub-Division blues

Post by ODannyBoi » Mon May 10, 2004 3:01 pm

I don't know if anyone else got hit by unlucky distribution of the subdivisions, but my line did. We were seated 7th out of the 18 lines in Standstill. So, of course... Standstill Red seats lines 1-7, Blue: 8-13, White: 14-18. OK... so I'm more than a little scared to bring it on against Poway (Great show, BTW), but I thought 18 divided by 3 was 6... not 7+6+5...

Anyway, Valencia scored higher than all but one line in White and Blue... but we came in 7th in Red. That means that Westview scored 52.2, we scored 54.0... They get a big 1st place trophy... we get a tiny 7th place one. :?

ADLA has to change the way they distribute sub-divisionis at finals. One of my kids mentioned on the way back to the bus that if we had done worse at Serrano, but the same at finals we might have been seated in Blue and yep... big trophy.

Recognition should be based on performance, not luck of the draw. When Valencia signed up... we didn't sign up for Standstill Red anymore than Westview signed up for Standstill Blue or Sonora (who took 2nd in White with a 41.3, 13 points less than VHS) signed up for Standstill White. We all signed up for the same category and were assigned to come in 7th or 3rd or whatever arbitrarily. :frustrated:

Anyone else have a problem with this... I have some suggestions... but I tell you, some changes need to be made.

oh well... better luck and all...
Daniel J. Magallanes
Director of Bands,
Monrovia H.S. - Monrovia, CA
www.MonroviaMusic.org

Veria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veria » Mon May 10, 2004 3:33 pm

punkmehard wrote:oh geez.

very frustrating. we get there and have no guides or anything, and we have to take 20 minutes to find a spot. then we find one, and its on a freaking curb, and we have no where to practice marching because the only court santa fe had was being used THE WHOLE DAY by santa fe. :\ yeah, so the host school gets the ONLY court for the whole day, and they expect not to win championships. and the way to prestage had these like five inch blocks sticking STRAIGHT from the ground...so our cart was oh so easy to get over it.....(right)...
I just thought I'd let you know... Santa Fe wasn't the only school in the gym. Maybe they were on sunday, but that's just a perk for it being atyour school. But on Saturday, I know we (La Quinta in Westminster) and Monrovia (I think) and one other school got to use the gym. That is because the drum instructor for Santa Fe is also the instructor for us and Monrovia. It was just a perk that we happened to get... just thought i'd explain it. and as for the being disorganized.. as of after awards on saturday night, for sunday, there were only 3 parents signed up to help... that was probably why it wasn't as organized... oh well, i still had fun at championships
Last edited by Veria on Mon May 10, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incognito Drum Line 2006 - 2007
Incognito Drum Line 2007 - 2008
Incognito Drum and Bugle Corps - 2008

clargirl05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by clargirl05 » Mon May 10, 2004 3:55 pm

my school didnt even get to practice and re run our show marching, hah we just stood there playing by our instruments. I hope we do better next yr.

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Mon May 10, 2004 5:35 pm

LQHSBando4ver wrote: I just thought I'd let you know... Santa Fe wasn't the only school in the gym. Maybe they were on saturday, but that's just a perk for it being atyour school. But on Saturday, I know we (La Quinta in Westminster) and Monrovia (I think) and one other school got to use the gym. That is because the drum instructor for Santa Fe is also the instructor for us and Monrovia. It was just a perk that we happened to get... just thought i'd explain it. and as for the being disorganized.. as of after awards on saturday night, for sunday, there were only 3 parents signed up to help... that was probably why it wasn't as organized... oh well, i still had fun at championships

so then you're supposed to leave it to "luck of the draw" to see who gets a basketball court to warm up on championships? thats not right. we warmed up on a curbside for about 45 minutes, thats all. it took us about 1.5 hours to find a spot to fit us too. and yes santa fe had the gym for the whole time we were there before we performed. i believe that this affected the outcome for at least some lines out there.

last year was great at champs because there was plenty of warm up areas and great organization. i'm proud of my line though because they still performed their best.

congrats to cypress for a good season too! also good job to the other open lines.

Veria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veria » Mon May 10, 2004 6:37 pm

hey, if it had been you in that gym, you wouldn't have complained one bit. for finals, the school hosting the competition doesn't get any money from entrance fees, only from the concessions. So if all they get is some concession money and a gym to practice in, then that's fine. And as for the lay out of the school, there was a field behind the gyms.

And besides, if santa fe hadn't used it, then no one would have. it would've been such a pain if like, each school was given like, 10 minutes to practice in the gym, because that time would have been just used to for setting up and taking down. Just get over it and maybe next year you'll be lucky and it'll be at your school so you can have the perfect spot to warm up at
Incognito Drum Line 2006 - 2007
Incognito Drum Line 2007 - 2008
Incognito Drum and Bugle Corps - 2008

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Mon May 10, 2004 6:52 pm

no, its totally fine that santa fe got their own gym. there was just the problem that there was barely anywhere to rehearse. that was the only problem. most lines when we got there used a small alley way, as did we (correct me if im wrong, but thats what i saw). so it was a little frustrating. you know? i mean you get to championships all pumped up and then ...what... not place to warm up? just a little sad. but whatever, we all had fun shows didn't we? good season! :D

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Mon May 10, 2004 6:58 pm

I think our (Jurupa Valley) season went pretty good. we worked hard and i was very happy to find out that we had one high basses (concidering i was in the bass line) but i thkn we could iof placed higher but oh well 3rd is still great :D
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Mon May 10, 2004 7:27 pm

They got their own gym. Sucks for everyone else, great for them.

You guys started to sound like guard girls. :bleah:
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

frausto86

Post by frausto86 » Mon May 10, 2004 9:37 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we talking about Santa Fe Springs Championships? I saw a ton of "potential" warm up places. As for the "ogranization / lack thereof", I didn't find it quite necessary for a guide and what not. The people were very friendly (that I saw). I think it was neat how they arranged pre stage 1 and 2 so that there's no excess sounds going into the gym. It was totalyl rad IMO ;)