Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

ADLA Championship Results...

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sun May 09, 2004 7:17 pm

Heya, three questions..

Which school/division/place are you from/did you get?

How did you personally do? Soloists included.

Do you agree with the scores/placement?

Who were your favorites?

We're Huntington Beach HS, Scholastic A, 3rd and high pit and cymbals.

I got 2nd place for solo...My performance was right on. I was SO stoked with my section. I'm proud of the boys.

I was frustrated because we had never seen these judges before so they didnt understand our show, but since our line is gigantic, the visual is really dense and i guess it's hard to decipher. Plus, we had some major tears. But I was disappointed nonetheless. But hey, props to Rio Mesa. :)

Personals of mine...
San Marcos
Villa Park
ElMo
Hawthorne *is that how you spell it?*
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

clargirl05
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by clargirl05 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:26 pm

san marcos MS???? theyre show is tight but some ppl need new attitudes.... this grl from there came by us when we were loading our stuff back into the truck and said that we were the poor school, they were the disco school...

well we got high cymbals and the caption judge came to my school to conduct our band one day... he probably gave us that as a joke, what westminster hs captain Glen said hah.

6th place, 40.3. As long as we did our best.
My faves were Townsend, i like their show. The same 3 were favor to win.

I saw the Lexington MS coach and i said Hi, Good luck and he just stared me down :shock: lol i havent seen their show but theyre better than us.

pichick86

Post by pichick86 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:57 pm

Our school, Hesperia High School, won the ADLA Scholastic B champs so I thought it went well. (I'm happy)

I personally did pretty good except that I was supposed to smile the whole time at a judge I have never seen before and he made it hard how he was just staring me down and smiling back.

I didn't agree with a few things though.
1) We added so much extra cool stuff since our last show and our score only went up .3
2) The schools that placed really low got section awards. (It's because their book was easier. but oh well, that's life)

The one that intimidated us was La Quinta. (I loved their show but they scared us, we thought they'd beat our @$$)
Another show I liked was La Sierra, ( their pit totally deserved the section award) we would love to do as many visuals but we play the whole time and have almost no rests.

pitgirl15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pitgirl15 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:17 pm

hey well im from la sierra and we woon 5th place in divison scholastic b
and im happy that the pit got the high award! we are so happy about that1 and im in the pit so thats great. well we sort of screwed oup the preformance yesturday. we got low scored and we could of gotten better. but its alright, we had fun this year and we'll be back next year. and i hope you guys liked our show. :D and congrats hespiria* sorry i dont know how to spell it!
La sierra ROCKS!!!

drummermom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: ADLA Championship Results...

Post by drummermom » Sun May 09, 2004 8:33 pm

PercussionAndAllThatJazz wrote:I was frustrated because we had never seen these judges before so they didnt understand our show, but since our line is gigantic, the visual is really dense and i guess it's hard to decipher. Plus, we had some major tears. But I was disappointed nonetheless. But hey, props to Rio Mesa. :)
Hey there, congratulations on a great performance today....I've enjoyed your show every time I've seen it...I'm so sorry you were disappointed in your result. I think it's always a challenge to have fresh eyes and I honestly couldn't have chosen first place (which is why I'm not a judge, LOL).

Anyway, I'm a mom from Rio Mesa and appreciate your 'props' to us -- our kids have worked their butts off since January for this and it's a first for our school -- a real boost to the program!

I just wanted to jump on here and say personally how impressed I was with you guys (HBHS), Riverside Poly and Sultana -- every time I see your shows I'm knocked out. And please tell whoever did your costume design that it's truly award-winning design.

No tears...you guys were 3rd of 21~an awesome accomplishment!

drummermom, who had a GREAT Mother's Day, thanks to all of you!

1GreatMilenko1

Post by 1GreatMilenko1 » Mon May 10, 2004 8:54 am

san marcos MS???? theyre show is tight but some ppl need new attitudes

to x0xfallenx0x . . . yeah those kids were prolly freshmen who have no respect for anyone. . .sorry for their actions. . .but there's plenty of us who really respect other drumlines. . .

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Mon May 10, 2004 10:00 am

hey, i'm from troy high school

Open Division, 2nd Place Blue, 73.7

Lydia Noh got the 2nd place Mallet "OPEN" award. good job!

the placements, for the most part, were good. a few inconsistancies but i really think it was good judging.

favorites: downey, saddleback.
Center Snare '03-'04
Percussion Captain 2001-2004

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Mon May 10, 2004 10:44 am

i am from Troy, open blue, we got second. 73. something
How did you personally do? Soloists included.
it was already posted, but we ot Lydia noh second place soloist for marimba. yay! i personally plaed my best show yet. istared down those judges the whoole time. making sure to look them in the EYES. rocking :) :)
uh....i dont agree with sme of the WORLD scores, and it was definatly weird ow the schools that got captions didnt place higher. but yeah, everyting worked out pretty good.
Who were your favorites?
i LOVED downeys show. yay! good job guys, it was very very very very good.
uh...also, saddle back was good. oo, the first time i saw it i thought it was good. ha, for both of those school actually. downeys show though...takes the freaking cake.

:)
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

tigger

Post by tigger » Mon May 10, 2004 10:50 am

Im From Hawthorne High School 1st Place World ! 95.5

High Pit and Basses! good job guys... i think we should
have got High Cymbals too...we did our best and gave it all we got...
We know we are one of the best Cymbal Lines out there! It was
a Fun and Crazy year!
Did anyone liked our 4 jump Viper !?
( crazy vusual! )

HHS Cymbal Line 2004:
Francisco
Iris
Ruben
Rafael
Brian
" :twisted: Cymbal Line From Hell :twisted: "

frausto86

Post by frausto86 » Mon May 10, 2004 11:49 am

@punkmehard: What didn't you agree with about the World Div. scores?

I'm from El Modena, but I'm not in the line. I just do tarp crew :D

mallets4ME

Post by mallets4ME » Mon May 10, 2004 4:25 pm

hello-
I'm from Bonita High. We were in standstill, I'm not sure what the color was, but we were in the middle group. We got 3rd and high basses. Personally, I did okay, I could have done better, but then I'm always a perfectionist. I didn't screw up so that was good. Even though the pit(I'm in the pit) didn't do great, and a couple of them caused a huge tear in the beginning of the show, I'm still extremely proud of them because of all of the crap we've had to deal with this past season. The drummers were great too and their head banging was awesome. Anyway, I do agree with the placement and scores. But I wasn't sure on the penalty we got because it was a bigger penalty for championships than last week's competition and we didn't change anything and last week the girl playing the trianlge dropped it and she didn't drop in the championship show, I don't know though. I personally didn't watch any of the shows accept for the last standstill group. I was also gawking at all the nice stuff that all of the groups had so I wasn't really paying attention. I wanted to go back on Sunday but I didn't have a ride :( , oh well.
yay for the pit captain!

**watch your toes**

frausto86

Post by frausto86 » Mon May 10, 2004 4:31 pm

What was the penalty for?

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Whooo! Championships!

Post by MalleTragic » Mon May 10, 2004 5:15 pm

I'm from Villa Park High School and we were in Open Red. We got 5th place, which I'm pretty happy about. For the solo I placed first, which was cool, but I really wanted to play again because I don't think I played my best at AB Miller.

How did you personally do? Soloists included. In our show, I did great. I came a little close to catching my stick on the rim during the backsticking part of the solo, and the split went well, and I didn't drop my stick on either of the two sticky flippy things. I last played the solo at AB Miller; I really wanted to play one more time just because, as I said above, I think I could have played better, but I guess 'better' is always just beyond the horizon.

I agree totally with our placement. For most of the competitions, we were in lower open divisions and getting 2nd or 3rd place, so it was expected to get a lower placement yesterday when we moved into the highest Open division. Our score I am happy about; we got better and that is what matters. I thought El Modena's show was underappreciated, but the story line is very complex and I only get it because El Modena and Villa Park have the same instructor and he explained it to me when he was first designing it. I didn't agree with the college placement; I really enjoyed UNLV's show and was a little bummed that they didn't take the title, but then again it's all about having a great show and playing great music, which is what went down.

Who were your favorites?

EL MODENA!!! Huntington Beach I wanted to see but I didn't get the chance, but one of my friends got a DVD of all the lines, so I'll just see it on her DVD. It was way cool seeing Lydia Noh again; I haven't seen her since about September or October so that was cool even though I only really got to say high. So congrats to Lydia (who I never saw play but Mr. Slack told me she was doing well!), congrats to Res (though the last time I saw you play was at the Villa Park Competition), congrats to Greg (my hero), congrats to Jasmine Baker (whose solo was FANTASTIC at AB Miller!!), and all the soloists who were all really good; I learned a lot!! UNLV had a great show, I love Shostakovich and they totally deserved high pit and bass!
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

ksmith

Post by ksmith » Mon May 10, 2004 5:48 pm

Downey did very well at championships. We got a score of 88.9 after the 1.9 penalty. The speakers would not work but we had to get them working because our narrator needed talk to have the show make sense. So, we went over the time limit to set up. So, technically without that penalty we would have been in fourth place over El Modena. Oh well, I'm still proud of everyone! DOWNEY ROCKS! :D

1GreatMilenko1

Post by 1GreatMilenko1 » Tue May 11, 2004 8:36 am

San Marcos High - OPEN DIVISION CHAMPIONS
Captions: High Cymbals

I believe that we did really great. I believe that we deserved that score that we received. I don't know if it should've been us winning or santa barbara but that's because i have never seen their show. Anyways, I wanna congratulate them on a great season.

oh and to hawthorne w/ your "viper" move. . .nice. . .i'm not gonna diss you guys or anything. awesome job this year. there were times that i couldn't see the cymbals, so i was wondering if you guys had any visuals that you guys made up? we had a couple. but anyways. . .i believe your line earned the WORLD div. championships. good job.
do you guys have a girl on the cymbal line?