Rewriting new work and restaging shows

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Rewriting new work and restaging shows

Post by guarddude » Tue May 04, 2004 8:19 pm

As a rookie instructor, I want to know what staffs think of rewriting and restaging shows. What do the performers think? I always catch a lot of guff from my squad for rewriting or restaging the show. When the judges comment on the new elements that look better or somehow enhance the show, they are thrilled but it's like "whine-fest" when we're going through the process. I always explain why we're doing it but still, the gripping and complaining is annoying.

Instructors? Guard members? Your thoughts?

GD

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Wed May 05, 2004 1:03 am

I feel that if restaging or rewritting the show is going to help, then I'm fine with it...Like my sophmore year, my instructor rewrote a lot of the work in our show the week before nationals, and it was insane..But it helped us in the long run..So if your guard members are complaining, there's nothing you can really do about it. I know a lot of my fellow guard members have complained about things like that too. But I tend to notice that it is those people who don't really care about what they are doing, that just slack off most of the time anyways, that do the complaining. I myself like to have work rewritten because I like to learn new things...it's just a matter of who the people are though in my opinion.

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Rewrites...

Post by Mad City » Wed May 05, 2004 12:25 pm

I think it all depends on how you write. With equipment I usually begin with a watered down version of what I really want, with the exception of fetures. They are written in from the start.

My guard is a dancing guard, so I usually write the dance book first, unlike most instructors I know who do equipment first. I feel if no equipment is written yet, they still have movement and it's strong.

Throughout the season I build on it. So, in a way they are use to change, but only minor changes.

If you initially have the big chunks done right in the first place, you won't have to change much later. If it feels good when you're writting it, it is suppose to be that way. If you question something, then it's probably not the right thing to do at that point in the show.

Go with your intuition, it's usually right.
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Wed May 05, 2004 1:45 pm

Good idea on writing the big chunks first. Come to think of it, my final flag statement (which they killed on at finals) was super and was written in December.

Pesky parts? Seemless transitions.

GD

SkaBoneChick

Post by SkaBoneChick » Wed May 05, 2004 3:39 pm

Well... It depends. I think that rewriting is good if it's going to BE in the show. There was one practice that we had last season when our instructor did a whole drill thing that took a whole practice, for a part that 1) was about a full minute long and 2) had no tempo/beat/counts, etc. so we didn't even know why we were doing it. So you can imagine that we were annoyed when on the next day, we were like, "okay so where do we start this part?" and he told us that he was just "experimenting." That was annoying.

Also... a word of advice... We spent the whole first few weeks of the season writing and rewriting stuff, and I think that it set us really far behind. We were nowhere near ready for the first show, and I think that we barely reached our full potential by the end of the season, unfortunately for us.

But if you're rewriting to improve part of the show, there should be no reason why you should feel bad when your girls start complaining. Everyone complains. So I hope that helps. :D

dancingrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dancingrl » Wed May 05, 2004 3:52 pm

I had my guard's show pretty much finished before Evals. Then when I got comments from judges I would change things. For the most part I didn't change too much during the year, unless it was to make things more difficult for the team. I think redesigning or rewriting work is what comes with the job of instructing. You want the team to look their best so we have to do what we can to make them that way. My team understood that I changed things for their benefit, I rarely got any whines about it.
Favorite phrases...
"Is the guard ready?"
"You may now take the floor in competition!"

OHH I LOVE ME SOME DRUMMERS!!!

handgunsandsecondchances
Rookie
Rookie

Post by handgunsandsecondchances » Wed May 05, 2004 5:12 pm

If it's something the judges comment alot on, and your kids arent understanding why you're changing it. I think you should let them hear some of the judges tapes. It might help them realize that, you're trying to help.
I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Woodbridge HS -
"It Spins Us Around" 2003
"Pacific 231" 2004
"Master Of Suspense" 2005

blah

Post by blah » Wed May 05, 2004 10:05 pm

our show changed dramatically since the beginning of the season, and its all for the better. new work pieces the show together more seamlessly and thrills the judges. it also makes practices more interesting, instead of having to do the same work over and over and over for the ENTIRE season!

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Thu May 06, 2004 4:42 pm

quote]I think you should let them hear some of the judges tapes. It might help them realize that, you're trying to help.[/quote]

I understand the logic here. Because listening to the judges tapes DO help. However, the Guard won't fully understand until they hear the judges tapes AFTER the change, and see a video.

In example. There was this 30 count hold in our show this year; Rifle and Flags. And it was supposed to be a cannon. Well, the original cannon was simple, and it looked nice but could have used improvement. Improvement is DEFINITELY what happened. What sucked was that the rifles (including myself) had to do a pop-toss, roll into the ground, catch the rifle, get back up and spin around, then do an under-the-leg double, switch the legs, and then catch. Yeah. Well I'm not going to lie, it sucked to learn. And it REALLY sucked to clean, too. So of course EVERYONE whined and complained because they couldn't stand it and it hurt and it was new. However, we listened to the judges tapes after that week's show and watched a video, and WOW. It looked AWESOME. It really made us understand why our coaches did that. ...Not like it stopped us from continuing to whine when cleaning it, but still.

It seems as though Guard people are the most lazy excessively-active people ever. :lol: I suppose we're just destined to complain about it, no matter how much you change it. It'll definitely pay off in the end, though. As much as my fellow Guard-os and I complained about all the changed our coaches made, I'm happy that they did it because it ended up very successful.
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Thu May 06, 2004 5:30 pm

rewriting and changing it can be tough for the guard, but we all understand that it is important. it is annoying when you do the old work or make a beeline for your old spot or do something like that, but in the longrun, it helps....a lot