favorite movie soundtracks

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:08 pm

I really like the Soundtrack to Star Treck: First Contact. It is pretty nifty.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

More Scores

Post by JCYS » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:52 am

I would agree with most of what is said about John Williams. His stuff is repetative and derivative..but that goes for all film composers, and many, many classical composers, and especially true of band composers. Rarely can they "break the mold." Occasionally they do (maybe thats another great topic to discuss!).

I like John Williams stuff alot, though not all of it. I found the scores to many of his recent stuff really so=so. The Patriot was one of them. Catch Me..was not my cup of tea, but that was not the usual Williams movie. I have enjoyed the Harry Potter music, though I found the main theme to be a cross between the "Witches of Eastwick" and "Hook." James Horner's stuff is also VERY similar. Funny thing, when I listened to "Pirates of the Carribean" I was SURE it was Hans Zimmer...it is SUCH a rip off in many places of "Gladiator." But, I was SO suprised it wasn't Zimmer.

Anyway, my favorite film scores, in no particular order...

1. Kings Row (Korngold) More depth and contrast than this action films.
2. Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold) Open to debate, but probably the best film score of all time.
3. The Magnificent 7 (Elmer Bernstein) Once you get past the famous main theme this is one of the most diverse scores for a western you'll ever hear.
4. Empire Strikes Back (Williams) Better than the original.
5. Empire of the Sun (Williams) A break from his previous styles.
6. Edward Scissorhands (Elfman) Again, not the bombast of Batman, but touching stuff.
7. Tombstone (Broughton) Better than Silverado...take that PGOK!
8. Ben Hur (Rosza) Great stuff.
9. Star Trek II (Horner) The epitome of all Horner scores.
10. How the West was Won (Newman)

Honorable mentions-and some of their problems:
1. To Kill a Mockinbird (Bernstein) not big and outlandish like most film scores. Quite and profound, fitting the movie perfectly.
2. The Fall of the Roman Empire (Tiomkin)
3. The "western" film scores of Tiomkin and Bernstein. Like "High Noon" and "Rio Bravo" and the "Alamo" for Tiomkin, and stuff like "Sons of Katie Elder" and "True Grit" by Bernstein. Good stuff there.
4. Captain Blood (Korngold).
5. Sea Hawk (Korngold) Probably the greatest opening of any film, ever. But some of the other parts drag..like the pseudo spanish theme during the Panama squence.
6. Batman (Elfman) Great ending...out Mahlers Mahler. But the rest is so so.
7. Wind & the Lion (Goldsmith) Again, great opening, but the total score runs out of ideas quickly.
8. 633 Squadron (Goodwin) Like most of Goodwins stuff it has a catchy theme but the rest is pretty b flat. This includes A Bridge Too Far...which isn't Goodwin but might as well have been!

I guess on my original list I was looking at scores that the ENTIRE score has some interest and diversity. Not just the same theme or battle music used over and over.

I guess I also discovered many of my favorite soundtracks are from westerns, though I'm not much of a "western" kind of movie lover.

JCYS

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: More Scores

Post by PGOK » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:06 pm

jcys wrote: Anyway, my favorite film scores, in no particular order...

1. Kings Row (Korngold) More depth and contrast than this action films.
2. Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold) Open to debate, but probably the best film score of all time.
3. The Magnificent 7 (Elmer Bernstein) Once you get past the famous main theme this is one of the most diverse scores for a western you'll ever hear.
4. Empire Strikes Back (Williams) Better than the original.
5. Empire of the Sun (Williams) A break from his previous styles.
6. Edward Scissorhands (Elfman) Again, not the bombast of Batman, but touching stuff.
7. Tombstone (Broughton) Better than Silverado...take that PGOK!
8. Ben Hur (Rosza) Great stuff.
9. Star Trek II (Horner) The epitome of all Horner scores.
10. How the West was Won (Newman)

Honorable mentions-and some of their problems:
1. To Kill a Mockinbird (Bernstein) not big and outlandish like most film scores. Quite and profound, fitting the movie perfectly.
2. The Fall of the Roman Empire (Tiomkin)
3. The "western" film scores of Tiomkin and Bernstein. Like "High Noon" and "Rio Bravo" and the "Alamo" for Tiomkin, and stuff like "Sons of Katie Elder" and "True Grit" by Bernstein. Good stuff there.
4. Captain Blood (Korngold).
5. Sea Hawk (Korngold) Probably the greatest opening of any film, ever. But some of the other parts drag..like the pseudo spanish theme during the Panama squence.
6. Batman (Elfman) Great ending...out Mahlers Mahler. But the rest is so so.
7. Wind & the Lion (Goldsmith) Again, great opening, but the total score runs out of ideas quickly.
8. 633 Squadron (Goodwin) Like most of Goodwins stuff it has a catchy theme but the rest is pretty b flat. This includes A Bridge Too Far...which isn't Goodwin but might as well have been!

JCYS
So, personal attacks eh? :wink:

I could not disagree more about Wind and the Lion. True, there are a minimal number of themes, but Goldsmith is able to use them in many different ways to fit many situations. In a similar way, Elman basically uses a 5 note theme in Batman, and creates much of the score from it. I don't know the name of the cue, but the one of the batmobile returning to the Batcave is the best, in my much maligned opinion.

I don't know Tombstone, I'll have to check it out.

I agree with Star Trek II. A great score, and my favorite Trek theme.

A shame you did not feel the need to list any Hermann scores. To me, he's the Grainger of film music.
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:38 pm

One of the best examples that I can think of when it comes to John Williams reusing some of his older music is in Star Wars Episode II: "Across The Stars" sounds very reminiscent to the music from "Hook".

You want to hear a darn good soundtrack, listen to the score from "The Passion Of The Christ". Seriously, some pretty emotional music, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Christian and I liked the movie. Although I'm sure there are some who would think the music would remind them of the troubling violence in the movie. Nevertheless, very good music.

What else, what else...oh! "Starsky And Hutch" had a pretty good soundtrack...

Oh wait, that's a different kind of soundtrack...uhhh...I give up. I'll return in two shakes of a Persian kitten's whiskers when I can think of a good soundtrack I have. :wink:
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Soundtracking

Post by JCYS » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:37 am

Well, I do like Hermanns scores, just not as much as you. Again, some great themes, but to vote on an entire score more problematic.
IE, I like the opening of "Day the Earth Stood Still" but beyond that? Well, OK, the saucer sequence is good too. But for the rest of it, well, thats pretty much Klatu Berada Nicto with me.

As far as Hermann's scores, I also appreciate the complexity of Psycho, though its not something I care to listen to. I also think Vertigo is cool, and would make a great guard show.

"Grainger of film music" :( :? :? :roll: :cry: I don't see that at all. I mean, did Hermann get married in the Hollywood Bowl? :lol:

Check out Tombstone, its cool. But yeah, I like Silverado too.

I also like the main theme to "Band of Brothers" by Kamen. Did you know he passed away last year (he was mentioned on the Oscars.) His score to Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves IS very good, no doubt about it.

I would also agree that I like the music to Star Trek First Contact, although I haven't listened to the CD of it, just off the film.

JCYS

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Grainger-Hermann-birds of a feather?

Post by PGOK » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:18 am

jcys wrote:
"Grainger of film music" :( :? :? :roll: :cry: I don't see that at all. I mean, did Hermann get married in the Hollywood Bowl? :lol:

JCYS

What I mean is, he created unique sounds. How many modern day composers have written music for the serpent? Did you know that Hermann in fact studied with Grainger?

Also Bernard Hermann had a unique personality. Unlike Grainger, Hermann was a first class jerk who managed to alienate many, if not most, of his friends.
There is a story about Alfred Hitchcock hiding in office, while his secretary told Hermann that Hitchcock was not in.

He wanted to be conductor, but he would browbeat and insult the orchestra musicians to such a point that they could not stand to have him return after an engagement.

I highly recommend the Hermann biography, the title of which I can never remember. Either Heart at Fire's Center OR Fire at Heart's Center.

:)
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

More

Post by JCYS » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:50 am

Wow, a famous conductor who is a first class jerk...who would have thought? :shock: :wink:

I don't know ANY conductors who would qualify for that award do you????
(thinking back now...)

And that part for the serpent in "Journey to the Center of the Earth" is the most ANNOYING piece of music (other than "Put de lime in de coconut and drink it all up") that I have EVER heard. If thats what serpents really sounded like in the days when they actually did write for them I'm not suprised all those composers are dead (and the fact they would be 400 years old now...)

Thats interesting that Herrman studied with Grainger.

Actually, I did think of another Herrman score I like, "Mysterious Island."

He could have made a living doing Jules Verne and Hitchcock movies. Too bad he didn't do "Master of the World"-though the score for that by the unknown Les Baxter received much accalaim (and I've heard it and am not sure why.)

Speaking of film scores, is Intrada still in San Francisco?

>JCYS

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Intrada

Post by PGOK » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:24 am

Intrada is now in Oakland.

http://www.intrada.com

You really have to read the book. It is of course a fact of nature that conductors are egotistical jerks, those who are not are abnormal. Hermann took it to a whole new level, and never understood why people were put off by him. Really a fascinating person, but I eould not want to know him.

— Groucho Marx

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:14 pm

im a fan of elfman and williams
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

CGStar

Post by CGStar » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:57 pm

I really enjoy Williams and Elfman! You can't not like Williams because some of his film music sounds the same. I think every composer is like that a little bit, but his classical stuff (I think) is very unique. To me, composers like Hans Zimmer I am not a fan of because their music sounds like other composers. Every time I hear Hans Zimmer all I can think of is Gustav Holsts' The Planets, or Hammersmith. Such a shame :(

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:59 pm

I am a big fan of master artist Kaoru Wada. He is the brilliant mind behind the music to the Inuyahsa anime, and the movies. Brilliant I tell you, Brilliant...
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Wed May 19, 2004 4:20 pm

Schindlers List is really gorgeous.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

gamermanbc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gamermanbc » Fri May 28, 2004 6:33 pm

-Anything John Williams
-Atlantis
-Gladiator

Ive seen some other good ones, but i cant really think of many at the moment.

btw... I cant remember if the music from minority report was very good or not... Wasnt it made by John Williams?
I M A BAND NERD!!!!!
SNARES RULE!!!!!
AND... um... uh.... YEAH! THATS RIGHT!

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri May 28, 2004 8:05 pm

gamermanbc wrote:-Anything John Williams
-Atlantis
-Gladiator

Ive seen some other good ones, but i cant really think of many at the moment.

btw... I cant remember if the music from minority report was very good or not... Wasnt it made by John Williams?
minority report is by john williams and i didnt like it very much. i dont like some of John Williams newer stuff, like some songs in the Episode II sound track. i dont want to hear the tatooine theme because it sounds like harry potter / homealoneII christmas combo
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

TMRMusicMaster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TMRMusicMaster » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:38 pm

Schindlers List , Crimson Tide, The Man who Knew too Much
Tustin High Schoo Marching Band and Pageantry Sax Section 02-03
TMR Sax Co-Section Leader 03-04
TMR Woodwind Captain 03-04