Calicchio Trumpets

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Calicchio Trumpets

Post by Starky » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:47 pm

Whats your opinion on them i havent heard much about em.
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:13 pm

Dude! Calicchios let's see... :roll: .

Ok, here's my take (also look on topic "For trumpets: what do you play on")...

I played them at NAMM Show. The salesman sucked me in for about 45 minutes and had me play every conceivable thing on them and try to tell me how superior they are to my Stomvi (I'm not buyin' it). However, they were very nice horns. They looked great and the silver ones had a really dark plating to them (nice)... Very smooth valve action (as all professional trumpets should have) and, if I remember correctly, the valve slides slid pretty nicely. When you get into the R-series (R32 and R37), it adds copper to the brass to give it a dark[er] sound. Overall, it played well, but it just doesn't stand out to me as an over-the-top superior horn. Now some people may disagree (one guy at NAMM slapped down his credit card and bought one on the spot :shock: )...

In the big bold world of professional trumpets, there is a lot of selection out there. Bachs (the standard), Shilkes, Kanstuls, Stomvis ( :D ), Yamahas,... It is just a matter of preference for each individual player. It is on my top ten list (yes, I have a top ten) and I'll take one if you gave it to me. But if you gave me the choice between a Strad or a Calicchio, I'll take the former...
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle