WGI World Finals, Aimachi and The Light Brigade

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

WGI World Finals, Aimachi and The Light Brigade

Post by guarddude » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:39 am

OK...I saw pretty cool stuff last night. But the best of all was Aimachi from Japan. The audience was standing on their feet cheering with two mintes of their show left to go. There was this one boy who had an incredible baton twirling solo that was part of the show. He was blended so perfectly with the whole design. There was also a group of baton twirls that was really fun to watch.

The girls themselves were so great to watch. They moved great and they had very enthusiastic performance faces. It was awesome. The crowd went absolutely wild at the end of the show. I felt bad for Braddock Independent because they went on right after Aimachi. People were still cheering for Aimachi even while they were folding their floor and leaving. It was a fantastic performance and I will remember that moment for a very long time.

Then there was The Light Brigade from Philadelphia. What a way to start IW world finals. Their show was based around "What A Wonderful World" sung by the great Louis Armstrong. They had this guy performer that was the story teller through the whole show. They did hip hop, funk and classical stuff as well. And they were so entertaining. Another huge standing ovation at the end of their show for them.

Don't get me wrong....All the guards were great but these two stand out in my mind as the two that had the most crowd reaction in IW.

GD

cgmime32
New Recruit
New Recruit

Oh Yeah!!!!

Post by cgmime32 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:46 am

I totally agree!!! Even though they didn't place too high, those were my two of my three favorite shows all night! Aimachi was one I wanted to see in finals cause I thought they were amazing in Prelims. Whoa, was I in for it because they were even BETTER in finals..I thought. Light Brigade was a very entertaining show and I loved getting into it..and you could see in on the floor. They definately knew how to get the audience into it :wink: Then of course, I'm a definate fan of NL so I did love their finals performance... :lol:
"Spin like they'll never see u again!"
"You want me to make it all the way over there...doing what?"
"You'd better karma cap that...cause it's a b**** when it comes back!"
"I can't fold the floor...I got asthma...*puff-puff*..."

ilovesabre

Post by ilovesabre » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:25 pm

I completely agree! I loved Aimachi. I was sitting on the side, and I could see the baton guy behind the black curtain before he came out, but I didn't know what he was doing back there. When he came out I was in awe. I loved that entire show! They had so much energy and were just so full of life. Even at Retreat, they were jumping up and down and waving and running all over the place. It was so inspiring to see how much they enjoyed doing what they do.

The Light Brigade was great too! I wish they didn't go on first right after break, because I missed seeing them inside the arena. I had to watch it on one of those televisions outside. Even so, their energy was amazing as well.

Oh, and I also agree that Northern Lights was great. I love the beginning when they're just standing there while their rifles stand on their butts. And all of those men move so well too!

All of the finalist world guards were superb.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:30 pm

Me and my guard were in love with all three groups. Aimachi was awesome and we just kept screaming. The baton was sooo cooool especially for one of our girls who did baton before guard.

Light Brigade was soo much fun. Me and my freshman were dancing in the stands and stuff cause they got us into their show. Then there was the Andre... whoo we were all just kinda like "WHOA!" We were all screaming for them by the end of the show, it was soo much fun.

Northern Lights had a really cool show, and they were awesome. I hadn't seen them before and me and flagrat were just babbling about how it was one of the most beautiful things we'd ever seen.

I personally had a thing for the San Jose Raiders, their theme was awesome and they executed perfectly.

What am I saying? EVERYBODY was awesome.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

just a few of the goods

Post by RifleLova » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:15 pm

It's the first WGI World Champs i've been too and it was GREAT!!! Aimachi and Light Brigade were both awesome and they both stood out in my mind!! I just loved the whole night!! Ofcourse Fantasia and Northern Lights were still at their best but i also realized that i love Pride too!! Pride of Cincinatti were amazing and it made my whole guard just so sad when we heard their song and it was like "were all freaks" or something like that...we felt so bad but good too cuz they were awesome!!
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:22 pm

prides show was really weird but good at the same time it kinda freaked me out! but yeah i loved all the groups but i really loved northern lights. Aimachi was amazing and they looked like they were having sooo much fun out there and then fantasia was just great as usual. my first tiit was me seeing world championships and it was the best experience i have ever had.
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:06 pm

I absolutely loved Aimachi's show, they had so much energy! Also, I used to do baton so that show really made me miss it, I need to bust out my three-baton again! I agree that those shows got the biggest reaction out of the crowd, they both had a lot of energy. Since this was my first time at nationals, I was amazed a the independant world division.

handgunsandsecondchances
Rookie
Rookie

Post by handgunsandsecondchances » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:17 pm

ya, the group from Japan was awesome, i loved how excitted they were, they were so great!
and Northern Lights was really good.. haha CaptainKikki yelled 'hey josh' during the performance right before he tossed his rifle and as he was tossing it he said 'hello' it was exciting.. haha oh and did anyone else go to their booth and buy their cards??? haha, i bought Rick and Eric... haha, me and my 3 friends went and found them and got Josh to sign out stuff and got a picture with him... muahaha... it was really cool

and wow, i LOVED light brigade, what a great entertaining show.
and Pride of Cincenatti was really good.
and James Logan was awesome as always.. they are so good, it's crazy.. i love them
I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Woodbridge HS -
"It Spins Us Around" 2003
"Pacific 231" 2004
"Master Of Suspense" 2005

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GuarDiva04 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:21 pm

I must say that all the groups this year minus the offset of a few... have come a long way from 2003. Each group I've seen ahs improved in one way or another. Aimatchi is definatly one of my favorites! They're so cute! I think it helps they're GE score that they all look alike LoL jk! I must say The Light Brigade has come VERY far from recent years... they are very good now. Still they have room to improve but hey... who doesn't? Good job to everyone!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:13 pm

This was my first WGI championships too! I didn't perform, but I got to see all world prelims and all the A finals. It was a long day, we got there in time to see Fusion (around 9:30am) and didn't leave until after the A awards ceremony and we got home around 2 in the morning. But it was sooooo worth it!!!! The Light Brigade, Aimachi, Fantasia, Northern Lights, San Jose Raiders, and Pride definitely made my list of favorites. And I really enjoyed the guard that used the song, "its raining men" since my guard did a show to that a while back. We all cracked up as soon as it came on. O and from the Scholastic world, I also enjoyed Rancho Bernardo and James Logan (how could you not???)
Congrats to Loara, Arcadia and Esperanza for representing the south Cali guards in SA finals, that's awesome guys!
*apology to all open guards, I wanted to see you guys too, but we only saw Friday’s show!*
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

noncolorguard guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Other Enjoyable Performances

Post by noncolorguard guy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:19 am

I also enjoyed the Light Brigade, Aimachi, and Northern Lights.
What was fun to watch was the Scholastic Open - especially the last five
guards.

It's interesting which groups may become the next World powerhouse.
I'd like to put my money on the Scholastic Open champion The Woodlands
with their dining room performance. The other Open performances,
Crestview, Valencia, Laurens, and Stoneman Douglas were quite a treat.
I hope they all get promoted to Scholastic World.

Orchard Park High School and Pomona High School were both shows that
I find pleasure as well. Orchard Park had lots of props while Pomona
played snippets from Martin Luther King.

I wish I had a chance to watch the "A" finals because some of the "A" finalists
have a tendency to do well in the Open class next year. Then they eventually
do fine in the World class. It's like watching future stars. Oh, well.
Maybe next year.

This is coming from a "closet" guy who had never watched a colorguard show
until this season. Now I must confess that I'm addicted to watching it.

noncolorguard guy

noncolorguard guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Other Enjoyable Performances

Post by noncolorguard guy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:21 am

I also enjoyed the Light Brigade, Aimachi, and Northern Lights.
What was fun to watch was the Scholastic Open - especially the last five
guards.

It's interesting which groups may become the next World powerhouse.
I'd like to put my money on the Scholastic Open champion The Woodlands
with their dining room performance. The other Open performances,
Crestview, Valencia, Laurens, and Stoneman Douglas were quite a treat.
I hope they all get promoted to Scholastic World.

Orchard Park High School and Pomona High School were both shows that
I find pleasure as well. Orchard Park had lots of props while Pomona
played snippets from Martin Luther King.

I wish I had a chance to watch the "A" finals because some of the "A" finalists
have a tendency to do well in the Open class next year. Then they eventually
do fine in the World class. It's like watching future stars. Oh, well.
Maybe next year.

This is coming from a "closet" guy who had never watched a colorguard show
until this season. Now I must confess that I'm addicted to watching it.

noncolorguard guy

georgefan22
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by georgefan22 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:30 pm

I have been a baton twirler since I was 4 years aold and when I started colorguard I thought that they should just do baton also. Well seeing Aimachi was like a dream, I loved them sooo much I had always admired the japan baton twilring world team and It was just the same watching Aimachi. It really made me regret retiring from baton. Ohh well I still have guard. I want to try out for Aimachi anyone else up for it =0P hehehe

yellow
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by yellow » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:31 am

I am so there!

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Thu May 06, 2004 3:42 pm

Check out wgi.org and world championships photos. Look at the faces on those Aimachi girls. I got chills just reviewing the photos.

GD