For trumpets: What do you play on?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

For trumpets: What do you play on?

Post by VM Trumpet » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:25 pm

What do guys play on? Mostly for trumpets, I'm interested on what model instrument and mouthpiece you use for concert band (and even marching band for that matter). How do you like it (even anything you've played before but haven't purchased)? I play on a Stomvi Elite and a Shilke 12A4/Stomvi 3C mouthpieces. Not too happy with the Shilke, though (rim is too fat). Anyone else? :?:
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:43 pm

I play on a Yamaha Xeno and Bach Megatone 3C/ Bach 1 1/2C (depends on the kind of sound i want)
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:05 pm

Yeah! I played a Xeno (well, several) at NAMM Show. They're a really nice free blowing horn. Thinking about buying the 1 1/2C after these infernal braces are off :evil: !

-Aristotle

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:28 am

For Jazz (lead playing) I use a cool blue Martin Commitee with a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead mouthpiece, and for classical I use a Yamaha 6335G with a Schilke 15A. I really like both setups and they work well for me.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:15 pm

Aaah yes...the Bobby Shew mouthpiece...man that thing is awesome. I own both the Yamaha and the Marcinkiewicz models. Ever played on the Bobby Shew Marcinkiewicz?
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:14 pm

Oh man...I hated it!!! Nothing like the Yamaha

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:53 pm

Bach Stadivarious (an old one!)
Shilke MP

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:56 pm

Strads are the best! If I had the money I would go buy me one of them things right now. But have to get a flugelhorn first 8-) !

-Aristotle

soso21280
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by soso21280 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:22 pm

nothing but vinvet back mouthpieces. exept for jazz when the bobby shews or the less expensive schilce 14/13 A's (just as good)

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:52 pm

When i play more ska stuff n brite jazz i play on a Schilke X3 Trumpet and a Bach 1 mouthpiece

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:24 pm

Anyone ever played a Taylor? I've been on their site a couple of times (http://www.taylortrumpets.com) and they look really cool. Nice and heavy... It seems like the guy knows what he's talking about, but I have never played one...

Also, any played on a Calicchio? I was at NAMM Show this year and the sales guys sucked me in. I was there for about 1/2 hour, but that isn't really enough time to get an educated opinion on something like this. For the brief time that I spent playing it, I found that upper register was clear. I played the copper one and it produced a good dark tone which I like for the slow jazz work. But like I said, it isn't enough time. Anyone else had more time with one and your thoughts?

-Aristotle

guitarhorn2002

?

Post by guitarhorn2002 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:57 am

i use a bach 7c everywhere i go. i luv that mouthpiece, an dcan absoultely wail with that thing!! the other day i had a friend over, and we were just playin double g's like it was no problem (he was using a 1c). if that's NE help, write back :?: :jedi:

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:02 pm

The highest that I've ever hit with a 7C is a double A; with my Stomvi 3C or Shilke 12A4, I've hit double C's! Yeah, baby! Love screamin'!

I don't like how 7Cs feel in comparison to my Shilke. The Stomvi is only a little better than the 7C, but it is a lot easier to do octave jumps and what not on my Stomvi than any other one I have. I love my horn and mouthpiece combo.

-Aristotle

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:35 pm

i used to be able to hit double c's easy and on good days triple g's but then i got these blasted braces :evil: :cry: :frustrated:

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:03 pm

Dude! Triple G's :drop: ?!? KARAZAY AWESOME^2! Ahh...the dreaded braces, railroad tracks, ore mine, etc....

I have braces, too. I got them on April 16, 2002 (I was in the eighth grade). Yes, I remember the exact day because it is the day that comletely changed my trumpet playing. At first it was horrible (first 6-9 months) and I even threatened to quit band because I was so frustrated. It took some serious practice time to get back to where I was (about a high C or E). But now I am so happy I got them on! Before, my horn was at such a severe downward angle when I played that in jazz band when I put the bell over my stand, I could hardly read the charts. Blek! Now I play straight out which is great for jazz and marching, but not so much for concert. Oh, well. It is a good compromise.

However, I am worried. I get them off on May 10 and am scared about the adjustment period. My band director said the only thing worse than getting braces on is getting them off <dun, dun, dun>! Hopefully, the horn-straight-out-thing will remain from the mass hours of rubberbands, but the main thing I am worried about is my screaming. Have a double F in upcoming show, so I am going to have to work crazy hard to stay at peak playing capabilty. Just talking about this is depressing :cry: ...

I don't know how long you've had them on, but just stick with it and you'll be just fine.... <under breath> Triple G!?!...

-Aristotle