Nicknames?

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Nicknames?

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:37 pm

Do you guys give each person on your line a nickname? And if so, what are they or what kind and why did you give them?
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:44 pm

mine isnt allowed on afamily website

i didnt ask for it

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:10 pm

mr. whatley calls me chungito or w/e monkey in spanish is.... yah i didn't ask for it either
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:20 pm

Mine is Nickle... Cause my real name is Nicole and one day someone called me Nickle and now everyone calls me that.. even my band director and drum instructor..
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

chickinthebattery
New Recruit
New Recruit

Nickname

Post by chickinthebattery » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:33 am

hi
My nickname is Chick. Our drumline had only 2 girls and i was new. noo one knew my name and one of our intructors said hey chick. the name stuck.
Drumline before hoeline
www.leighhighdrumline.50megs.com

IN YOUR FACE

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:09 pm

We have T-Man, B-Rad, and a few others but none that should probably be repeated on a family website, hehe. :roll:

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:40 pm

TMR Quint Kid wrote:We have T-Man, B-Rad, and a few others but none that should probably be repeated on a family website, hehe. :roll:
We have a B-Rad too! Everyone at my school pretty much calls my old captain at Ryan A-hotty. U can guess. We have Minks, B-Rad, Arm Bender(nevermind why), Jack Osbourne(our instructors and Director calls him that but, we call him Eerik), and many others. I'm called Rob but, a few of my friends outside of band call me Titslap because of my last name(don't worry i don't really unless your ticking me off and your a guy talking about how great the movie drumline was).
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:59 am

I don't know about any nicknames, but we do measure things in "Chads". One of our bass drum players, Chad, is really short so if we see like a big building or something we'll say something like, "Yeah that building's about fifty chads" :hum:
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

nicks

Post by zookie » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:31 pm

At USC we give nicknames to practically everyone. I really think it's a great idea because it gives people a chance to reinvent themselves as they enter college. Sometimes the names aren't too family-show so they don't stick but I'd say that 80-90% keep their nicknames long after college.

The first thing is that people often ask why they got the nicknames that they got. This is great for "breaking the ice" with people at drumline parties and on trips. Story time!

I like to think back to how I got "zookie." I was on tour with VK the summer before my freshman year at 'SC. I got to go to an orientation while the rest of my corps played at Disneyland (grrrr). But in that time, I guess I made a big enough impression to some of the old members there that they made up zookie before band camp even started! They yell at me at the next drum corps show. I didn't know that that was my nickname until tour was done but I still remember that show and people yelling "zookie!" from the stands.

Thinking up good nicknames is key. They should sum up someone in a short term that rolls off the tongue. Some people may feel that their name given to them by their parents is sacred to be careful.

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:14 pm

i got the name Gastoun from Beauty and the Beast, mainly because of my long hair that i put in a ponytail

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:02 pm

uh

...mom?

haha. *goshdang* being the only girl in the line. having to take care of all those boys. haha.

its funny
:)
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:53 am

My sophomore year this kid walks into our drum room, and he says hes the new drummer, well hes kinda wierd and cant play drums so we put him on cymbals. He was wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt, and he never told us his name, so he was known as Mickey Mouse BOy, for three years, now he's the cymbal captain and we found out he actually has a name....
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

mellochick15

Hmmm....

Post by mellochick15 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:13 am

Mine is queef....how misfortunate.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hmmm....

Post by Spyder » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:49 am

MarimbaBoy wrote:Mine is queef....how misfortunate.
we call our tenor player queef, actually, come to think about it, we all call each other bad names for nicknames
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumma » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:26 am

a few people in our percussion have nicknames just cuz their names may be long or confusing and when yer yelling its easier to just say a few syllables than try and say their whole name lol we have 2 andreas except one pronounces is "aundrea" and the other pronounces it "andrea" so everyone pretty much came up with their own nicknames for each so they could get the right andrea lol
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04