WGI Prelims Schedule????

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

BLACKAZKNIGHT

WGI Prelims Schedule????

Post by BLACKAZKNIGHT » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:27 pm

Is anyone else as bewildered as I am, on how WGI chose what group went in what time slot for prelims rounds. I thought it had something to do with your ranking going into championships, and I always thought that the later the time in your round the better, but if that is so true why do I see so many high ranking groups going on failry early in there round with guards ranked lower than they are performing after them. Of course I'm mainly using IO for example but it might be true in other classes. Does anyone know what formula is really used or is it just random draw?
"WIN" NOT "NIW" YOU MORONS

"SICKE, FLEX FOOT, CONTRACTION"

"SIDE CHASSES, WITH ONEHANDED DOUBLETIME, WITH THE LOOK OF INTENSITY"

"DONDE ESTA.......??????

handgunsandsecondchances
Rookie
Rookie

Post by handgunsandsecondchances » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:58 pm

yah, supposedly it's supposed to be at 'random'
but i noticed with SA it looked like they used the rankings aswell..
I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Woodbridge HS -
"It Spins Us Around" 2003
"Pacific 231" 2004
"Master Of Suspense" 2005

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:25 pm

This is what my instructor told us...
They take all the guards in a division and organize them from highest score to lowest score. And then I think they find that score by taking the average of 70% of the highest score and 30% of the second highest score of the season.
Then they take the first guard and put them in the 1st round. And then the 2nd best guard goes into the 2nd round. And so on. So the top guards are evenly split up.
At least that's how I understood it. Am I on the right track?
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

cggirl353
New Recruit
New Recruit

hmmmmm...

Post by cggirl353 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:17 am

I know exactly what you mean because I thought the same thing when I first saw the prelims schedule. It's not just the IO class I looked at SW and IW and the same thing happened with those classes. As far as the IO class goes I do see that they kind of split up the groups evenly but, for example, Sacred Heart has been on top of the list the whole season and they are performing right in the middle of the 2nd round! Last year I know that they did base your performance time according to the rankings. If you were top 3 in the rankings each group would perform last in rounds 1, 2 and 3. I guess it was kind of random this year. I wonder why too. :hum:

I know that the whole percentage of the scores and all that stuff applies to the WGASC schedule. It doesn't look like it was applied to the WGI schedule. :hum:

I am just as confused about this whole thing. :hum:
Last edited by cggirl353 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

noncolorguard guy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Wgi Faq

Post by noncolorguard guy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:59 am

According to the WGI FAQ:

HOW IS MY CHAMPIONSHIP PERFORMANCE TIME DETERMINED?

This is a two part question – The WGI office places the 6 preliminary events at the multiple sites being used at World Championships. In doing this, they consider whether there will be a semi-final contest for the class and try to provide adequate time separation between the prelim and semi-finals and finals events. Actual performance times are then determined by a “seeding” process (which is described next.) The actual starting time for a contest is often impacted by whether or not the facility is in use (some schools are still in session). The office is also sensitive to how late a contest will run and frequently will work backward from an ending point to provide guards with as late a start in the day as possible.

A class guards are ranked across the season based on a formula derived from the highest score they receive at a WGI Regional. This formula then adds a 2 point growth margin each week. From that final Ranking, guards are assigned positions in a series of “rounds” in preliminary competitions, placing them as equally as possible in a competitive grouping. The A guards, after being put into rounds, are also separated with block, pre-block and then postmark and drawn randomly within those groups. (There is a full detail of this process in the rules manual.)

Open and World Class guards are seeded based on seasonal scores as well. In these classes, those guards scoring in a range known as “block” scores are placed in a randomly drawn grouping and they go on last in the preliminary contest. Those guards scoring in a range known as “post block” are also placed in a randomly drawn grouping, and these guards precede the block guard in the order of appearance. All other guards are seeded by post mark and appear first in the order of appearance.

I'm too lazy to verify if they are following this ruling. :wink:

cggirl353
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cggirl353 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:08 am

See this makes sense but it doesn't look like it was applied that's is why I am confused.

This is what I thought too but I can't seem to connect is with this year's prelims schedule. Am I missing something?

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:06 pm

could it have anything to do with how early a guard was registered for prelims? i thought that had something to do with it last year, so maybe it's the same thing again this year.
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

Squeakum
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squeakum » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:36 pm

I don't think so, about the time of regestration, but we never know. Part of it may be first come first serve.
And as the train came to a stop a small squeak was heard.

I know I know.. It doesn't make sense, but then again do I ever?

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:29 am

I’m such a dork. I was thinking you guys were talking about WGASC championships, not nationals. *duh* sorry about that. Well at least you all know how that schedule works out, lol.
I dunno much about WGI, but then I haven't paid attention to the order of performances, hehe.
If you are an A guard or a world guard, good luck, I can't wait to see you!
If you are an open guard, sorry! But I won't get a chance to see you perform; we are only watching Friday’s performance. Good luck to you though!
c/o 2005

Love always hopes